Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

35 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Shady, 12, 22 and 2019 1st to the Giants for 2nd overall?

Would make sense. Giants get a back that is similar to Saquon, as well as all those picks and a solid opportunity to be in the QB race next year if need be with that Buffalo 2019 1st.

The Pre-Draft Final Post (seriously):

I'm done watching tape for good this year... I've never been so captivated by the skill set of a QB more so than that of Sam Darnold.

Andrew Luck, Phillip Rivers, and Jared Goff were the only players that I felt close to as certainly positive about during evaluation of their college film.

Darnold's Poise under pressure/duress, big moment clutch factor, elite field vision, full field scanning speed/efficiently, HOF-caliber anticipation, elite pocket athleticism, elite at making plays off-script and off-platform, pinpoint accuracy without fundamentally sound feet, pinpoint accuracy at all levels of the passing game... His advanced skill set as a young phenom/prodigy at Quarterbacking (20years old) is the rarest of things to find.

However, the crown jewel of his skill set is his uncanny/natural Feel for the game...how he sees the game... his instincts and how he senses where to look, how quick to scan the field and cycle threw progressions... he's a generational prospect.... and with the right franchise is a sure-fire Hall of Famer...

He won't be the only good QB out of this draft but he'll be the only All-Pro and first ballot Hall of Famer...

His only issues are TOs and sometimes feet mechanical breakdowns (the mechanical/fundamental breakdowns aren't as relevant because he makes so many pinpoint/rare passes without sound mechanics which means a full time professional commitment to the game will likely easily fix such issues)... The main issue of fumbling can be fixed via drilling....if you chart his fumbles like I have over 32% of them are read option, mesh point fumbles between QB-RB, 34% of the others are being lose in the pocket with one hand on the ball when trying to make a big play by extending a play off platform, 8% are not feeling pressure, and 26% are reset/tucked off pump faking/double and triple patting of the ball holding onto the ball too long when he should have let it go..

Comparing Interception charting between this year and last year for Sam is also interesting... they weren't an issue last year when he had 31TDs to 9INTs... this year with 13INTs.. this year the majority (6 INTs) came off-script when scrambling after a pocket breakdown or trying to make a big play due to pocket breakdown... 2 came on tipped passes, 3 came on overthrows, 2 on clear misidentification of defense...

His INT issues will be no different from those of Andrew Luck... he'll always have a winning TD to INT ratio even when he has INTs...

Passing on Darnold for Mayfield will be the biggest mistake this franchise has made to date... and it will be made to the applause and rationalization of many Browns fans and draftniks...

I'm taking a different approach to this draft... I'm going to let the first round play out without watching it... grab my phone go to the toilet or nearest trash can... pull up the nfl.com app draft pick tracker... click on the Browns to see what they did in the first round... and when I see that the pick was not Darnold... I will expel the sickness into the trash can or toilet... and not check on the team until maybe midseason or game 7...

If that happens, I wish you all well and joy....enjoy the season... and enjoy the forum free of my long, nonquality, garbage post clutter...

"Baker Mayfield is a leader of men... guys love him and gravitate toward him, he's accurate, he's a winner, he's our franchise QB" -- John Dorsey

23 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Shady, 12, 22 and 2019 1st to the Giants for 2nd overall?

Would make sense. Giants get a back that is similar to Saquon, as well as all those picks and a solid opportunity to be in the QB race next year if need be with that Buffalo 2019 1st.

Shady must have very little value atm. He is like 75 in running back years. 

45 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Actually I did make a mistake, he’s actually a shorter version of Garcia ?

Garcia was very good for awhile but in no way (other than height) does his game look anything like Mayfield's. He is much closer to a shorter Darnold. A lot of throws with weird body positions, a lot of movement during throws and a bit of a funky arm motion with his throws. Darnold isn't the athlete Garcia was (neither is Mayfield) and Garcia is a terrible comp for either but closer to Darnold in style.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Garcia was very good for awhile but in no way (other than height) does his game look anything like Mayfield's. He is much closer to a shorter Darnold. A lot of throws with weird body positions, a lot of movement during throws and a bit of a funky arm motion with his throws. Darnold isn't the athlete Garcia was (neither is Mayfield) and Garcia is a terrible comp for either but closer to Darnold in style.

Sorry my man Garcia is a great comp, but like I said a shorter version. Maybe you need to go back and watch more of him. Btw this isn’t a knock on him at all, Garcia was a really good qb as @LETSGOBROWNIES has also said. 

55 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Sorry my man Garcia is a great comp, but like I said a shorter version. Maybe you need to go back and watch more of him. Btw this isn’t a knock on him at all, Garcia was a really good qb as @LETSGOBROWNIES has also said. 

No I've seen enough of both I know it's a terrible comp unless you are projecting their stats to be similar, that may happen (minus rushing yards). They are both about 6'1 and play the same position.

Just tell me one thing they are similar at minus height. It isn't their frame, arm motion, their arm strength, their college success, their mobility, how they are most effective (pocket vs. rollout) their decisiveness, their game mentality,  etc...

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Damn, Mind. You're scaring me.

This.

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

That’s too high overall I reckon.

That would be pretty much be four elite QBs out of one class.

I don’t like direct comps because I try to judge each player as their own unique self, but if I really had to:

Sam Darnold = Clutch Tony Romo on steroids

Josh Rosen = Less derpy Eli Manning

Baker Mayfield = Cult of personality Case Keenum

Josh Allen =  Farm version of Blaine Gabbert

You're a farm version of Blaine Gabbert.

18 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No I've seen enough of both I know it's a terrible comp unless you are projecting their stats to be similar, that may happen (minus rushing yards). They are both about 6'1 and play the same position.

Just tell me one thing they are similar at minus height. It isn't their frame, arm motion, their arm strength, their college success, their mobility, how they are most effective (pocket vs. rollout) their decisiveness, their game mentality,  etc...

Other than they play exactly the same I guess yeah they’re nothing alike. 

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Besides height, I don't know if they have any similarities. You may be thinking Manziel.

How are Manziel and Mayfield even remotely alike? Manziel played like a chicken with his head cutoff. He would hijack the offense and break down plays and do whatever the hell he wanted. 

Mayfield ran the offense more fluidly and perfect than any college QB I've ever seen. 

To use NBA players as an example, Manziel was Allen Iverson, Mayfield was Steve Nash. 

Archived