Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

Don't know if he will play up to it in the NFL, but my Baker comp is still Brees. Not that he's there yet, but that he excels in the same areas as Brees - Elite accuracy from a variety of platforms and angles with the ability to both load up and fire it and to take something off and guide it in with touch. If you look at video of their throwing motions, they're very similar in using a variety of arm angles, but favoring an extremely high release point within the pocket in order to eliminate the chance of batted passes. (I think I watched video once and estimated based on their height and how high the ball was coming out and Baker has a higher typical release point than Allen because Allen often does a bit of 1/2 slot where the ball releases at his head height).

56 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Don't know if he will play up to it in the NFL, but my Baker comp is still Brees. Not that he's there yet, but that he excels in the same areas as Brees - Elite accuracy from a variety of platforms and angles with the ability to both load up and fire it and to take something off and guide it in with touch. If you look at video of their throwing motions, they're very similar in using a variety of arm angles, but favoring an extremely high release point within the pocket in order to eliminate the chance of batted passes. (I think I watched video once and estimated based on their height and how high the ball was coming out and Baker has a higher typical release point than Allen because Allen often does a bit of 1/2 slot where the ball releases at his head height).

To be clear, this is obviously a "what they do well" comp rather than looking at potential weaknesses. Darnold's "what they do well" comp would be Rogers or Luck-lite and Rosen's would probably be Brady. 

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Height is about the same. Baker is much thicker and Garcia was probably a lot faster or at least a lot quicker with much better scrambling ability. Their throwing style is completely different, Garcia was closer to Darnold in that regard Baker's throwing motion is more compact. Baker is more like Kirk Cousins and probably a pretty good comp for him.

I disagree I think Garcia is a perfect comp. 

34 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Darnold is Andrew Luck/Phillip Rivers

Baker is Brees. 

Rosen is Matt Ryan but worse frame. 

Josh Allen is Derek Anderson.

Jackson is either Vick or Russel Wilson, haven’t decided yet.

That’s too high overall I reckon.

That would be pretty much be four elite QBs out of one class.

I don’t like direct comps because I try to judge each player as their own unique self, but if I really had to:

Sam Darnold = Clutch Tony Romo on steroids

Josh Rosen = Less derpy Eli Manning

Baker Mayfield = Cult of personality Case Keenum

Josh Allen =  Farm version of Blaine Gabbert

4 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

That’s too high overall I reckon.

That would be pretty much be four elite QBs out of one class.

I don’t like direct comps because I try to judge each player as their own unique self, but if I really had to:

Sam Darnold = Clutch Tony Romo on steroids

Josh Rosen = Less derpy Eli Manning

Baker Mayfield = Cult of personality Case Keenum

Josh Allen =  Farm version of Blaine Gabbert

I have been saying this before. Darnold can be an improved Tony Romo. If you look at Romo’s ‘07 season, that can be what Darnold could do. Make a crap ton of plays but still has turnovers. 

Romo has top 40 all time career stats which is crazy. To me Darnold might have the best comp. 

Just now, buno67 said:

I have been saying this before. Darnold can be an improved Tony Romo. If you look at Romo’s ‘07 season, that can be what Darnold could do. Make a crap ton of plays but still has turnovers. 

Romo has top 40 all time career stats which is crazy. To me Darnold might have the best comp. 

That bowtie in your avatar is a clip-on.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Tony Romo was very good. Unfortunately he just didn't have the key career situations and moments fall for him. Part of that was down to him but it's also sometimes just the way the ball bounces. Dez catch, Seattle extra point botch... I believe his postseason stats (limited) stack up pretty well. But the narrative is a bit unfair on him when it comes to his summation.

4 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Either McCoy was traded...or nothing football related and it's all being blown out of proportion.

Or McCoy has just been made aware that the Bills are about to move into the 1st or 2nd overall slot?

That Allbright guy is very rude and seems to suffer with delusions of grandeur, but apparently he is well sourced and tends to have genuine info. Who knows? I guess we'll see soon enough.

Archived