Thoughts on Vance's comments?

thebestever6

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

That's probably true, and I think the fact that we've been a turnstile for coaching lately meant Elway had to bite the bullet on the current staff and leave them in place if we ever want to retain top coaching talent going forward. You can't be recycling coaches every year, especially given our QB situation. Now, if Vance and Co. have another awful draft and awful season, he'll be out the door along with everyone but Bill Kollar.

We're 5th in total draft assets and value, and not too bad in the cap. I'm  not sure if Vance had a hand in the staff this year. Hopefully he does I want no more excuses.

I live in New Jersey pardon my Philly references but I want Vance to have power this year with the staff.  Not 2015 chip kelly gm /free agent power. But let the guy help bring in people who will fit the staff and are his guys to delegate too.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

We're 5th in total draft assets and value, and not too bad in the cap. I'm  not sure if Vance had a hand in the staff this year. Hopefully he does I want no more excuses.

I live in New Jersey pardon my Philly references but I want Vance to have power this year with the staff.  Not 2015 chip kelly gm /free agent power. But let the guy help bring in people who will fit the staff and are his guys to delegate too.

The problem is Vance doesn't seem to have a very good eye for coaching talent. After all, this is the guy who wanted Mike McCoy as his OC and Brock Olivio as his STC.

However, Vance I think did have a lot of input on the makeup of this year's staff. Remember, guys like Eric Studesville and Tyke Tolbert were shown the door, guys who had been here in their coaching positions for a long time under multiple HCs. Now we don't have OL coach, we have a OGs/C coach and a OTs coach. We don't have a DBs coach, we have a Ss and a CBs coach. Maybe that works out. Or maybe it proves a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. It will be interesting to see. 

I can't imagine the coaching staff doing a worse job next year than it did this year but I also thought Mac was the worst Broncos HC I would ever see until Vance proved me wrong. 

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I can't imagine the coaching staff doing a worse job next year than it did this year but I also thought Mac was the worst Broncos HC I would ever see until Vance proved me wrong. 

Hang on now AAA - I don't think you can go there yet - McDaniels nearly imploded the entire franchise - VJ hasn't got their yet.

8 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Hang on now AAA - I don't think you can go there yet - McDaniels nearly imploded the entire franchise - VJ hasn't got their yet.

But solely in terms of coaching, Vance is worse than Mac IMO. Mac was far more detrimental to the franchise (thanks, Joe Ellis) but at least knew what he wanted to do on the field and with the team. Goofy doesn't have any idea what he's doing. 

8 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Come guys, you have to give Vance one more year....maybe even just half a year.  I mean, we were one year removed from having a veteran staff who knew how to call a game....I thin VJ at least deserves the chance to try to get to that level....not sure if he will get there, but one year to evaluate whether he is the right coach...I don't know about that.  

15 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Come guys, you have to give Vance one more year....maybe even just half a year.  I mean, we were one year removed from having a veteran staff who knew how to call a game....I thin VJ at least deserves the chance to try to get to that level....not sure if he will get there, but one year to evaluate whether he is the right coach...I don't know about that.  

VJ has shown nothing to date - other than he is completely out of his depth as HC.

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The problem is Vance doesn't seem to have a very good eye for coaching talent. After all, this is the guy who wanted Mike McCoy as his OC and Brock Olivio as his STC.

However, Vance I think did have a lot of input on the makeup of this year's staff. Remember, guys like Eric Studesville and Tyke Tolbert were shown the door, guys who had been here in their coaching positions for a long time under multiple HCs. Now we don't have OL coach, we have a OGs/C coach and a OTs coach. We don't have a DBs coach, we have a Ss and a CBs coach. Maybe that works out. Or maybe it proves a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. It will be interesting to see. 

I thought elway wanted them Olivio because of Toub and Kc and Mccoy because he use to coach here?

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I thought elway wanted them Olivio because of Toub and Kc and Mccoy because he use to coach here?

Honestly, I didn’t have an issue with the staff when hired.  Clearly it didn’t work out, but bringing in McCoy a former HC and pretty good coordinator I thought was a terrific move at the time.  Didn’t think he’d call plays out of nowhere that the team hadn’t even practiced since training camp in the middle of the year, which was reported.

I also loved the Olivo hire.  Toub was my #1 choice for the HC job and bringing in Olivo, who was Toub’s right hand man made a ton of sense, especially considering how successful the KC special teams units have been under Toub.

Clearly neither worked out, but I don’t think that was all Joseph, either.  Elway I am sure played a major role in those hires (maybe the biggest role) and I don’t fault him for it.  The hires made a ton of sense at the time.

12 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Honestly, I didn’t have an issue with the staff when hired.  Clearly it didn’t work out, but bringing in McCoy a former HC and pretty good coordinator I thought was a terrific move at the time.  Didn’t think he’d call plays out of nowhere that the team hadn’t even practiced since training camp in the middle of the year, which was reported.

I also loved the Olivo hire.  Toub was my #1 choice for the HC job and bringing in Olivo, who was Toub’s right hand man made a ton of sense, especially considering how successful the KC special teams units have been under Toub.

Clearly neither worked out, but I don’t think that was all Joseph, either.  Elway I am sure played a major role in those hires (maybe the biggest role) and I don’t fault him for it.  The hires made a ton of sense at the time.

Totally agree with everything you posted Mccoy I had trepidation though.

Archived