Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

s-l300.jpg

52/100

What is there to say about Blake Shelton's new album? The only thing that really comes to mind is bland. There are no songs that are very good/great, and there aren't any songs that I would flat out say is terrible. That's kind of been Shelton's M.O. for his past few albums. It's almost as if he is just going through the motions now that he is a huge star away from singing. The one good thing I will say about the album is that at least Blake hasn't gone the way of other country artists and gone straight pop or overuse electronic beats.

Best Song- The Wave

220px-Young_sleep.jpg

54/100

In a interview, Young stated that this album is one of the most tradition country projects that he has ever done, other than the title track and first single. Im wondering if he has actually listened to the album. Like Ive stated, I dont mind if country albums sound pop at times as long as they are good, but these songs aren't good. Young has always had a hand in writing most songs on his albums, and I really enjoyed both Neon and A.M., but there is a difference from those two albums to this one, and that is that Young has very different writing partners on this album, and they are not as good as the heavy hitters that he had on those previous works.

Best Song- Where I Go When I Drink

R-11015668-1508273267-3970.jpeg.jpg

56/100

This is a low rating for the latest Rucker album, but I will say that it does have some good parts to it. This starts with his number one hit If I Told You. The song might be his best song ever, and really stood out among all songs released to country radio in 2017. Other love songs one the album like Bring it On are what makes the album as well. The problem is that there arent enough of those good songs on the album. The rest are a bunch of fun loving songs that are supposed to be light and enjoyable, but I dont get that when I hear them. I just hear badly written music that tried too hard.

Best Song- If I Told You

joe-nichols-never-gets-old-album-cover.j

56/100

You might notice that I have given the new Joe Nichols album the same score as the latest from Darius Rucker, and that is done on purpose. They are very similar albums. A few well written songs wrapped around a number of bad ones that should have never been recorded. This all starts with the tile track, Diamonds Make Babies. I didnt like the song when it was first recorded by Dierks Bentley, and its even worse coming from Nichols. I also have to point out that Nichols decided to record the old school rap song Baby Got Back, and yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

Best Song- Breathless

will-hoge.jpg?w=665

59/100

Hoge is easily one of the best singer songwriters in the business. He has made countless good albums, and even if you don't know his name, you have heard his music. His new album is one to forget though. Will is great at capturing small town life, heartbreak, and just about any subject. He does this on about half of the album. Its the Will Hoge that I love listening to. The other half of the album is just not up to his standards. You listen to songs like (This Ain't) An Original Sin and the title track Anchors, and you see what he is trying to do and say. He just misses. Although this album is not good, it doesn't change the fact that Hoge is a brilliant mind.

Best Song- The Grand Charade

5996639e7488150001d19999_RYF_ART_ALBUM_S

60/100

Ryan Follese is the failed lead singer of the pop group Hot Chelle Ray. He has now turned his sights to county music. Follese does have a great voice, and you can hear it in spots throughout the album. One the few songs that he doesn't turn into straight pop songs, the music is enjoyable, but that only happens a few times on his debut LP. The rest of the album is basically a cookie cutter music row debut, and is pretty much forgettable.

Best Song- Put a Label on It

A1kMUYfC-kL._SY355_.jpg

60/100

Ray Scott's deep throwback voice is unmistakable in country music. He is a true throwback artist that tries to keep his sound reminiscent of the time when singer songwriters topped the charts. His new album is no different than he previous releases, and thats heard in the albums opening song, and first single, Livin' This Way. The whole first half of the album is solid country music that goes from heartbreak to love, and even to religion. The second half of the album is where things start to fall apart. Musically, nothing changes, but the songs are just weaker, and because of that, the album suffers overall.

Best Song- The Fire

300x300.jpg

60/100

Brantley Gilbert's music used to be good. His first major album is still something that I enjoy listen to from time to time. I don't know if my tastes have changed, or if his music has changed, but his newer albums are bad. On The Devil Don't Sleep you hear this in The Weekend, Bro Code, and Smokin' Gun. These awful songs kill the album by themselves. It also doesnt help that the album is sixteen songs total. I will say that you do hear the old Brantley a time or two throughout the LP, but its just not enough. Hopefully there will be more songs like that in future albums.

Best Song- Rockin' Chairs

268x0w.jpg

61/100

Lynch's career has really taken off thanks to this album. If you were a fan of his previous ones, then you will be surprised to hear a much different sound. Where you once heard a more traditional sound that likened itself to George Strait, you now hear drum beats and pure pop sounds. There are points where this isn't a bad thing, and I will admit that his current single, I'd Be Jealous Too, is a guilty pleasure of mine, but at other points, its just bad music. We will likely hear more pop sounding songs in the future from Lynch, and his popularity will only continue to grow.

Best Song- State Lines

What-Makes-You-Country-cover-with-writin

61/100

Luke Bryan's latest release is a whopping fifteen tracks, and somewhere throughout them, there is a pretty good album, but the problem is that there is a lot of filler in there too. It seems like Bryan is trying the straddle the line between new pop country, and the more traditional sound that he had when he first made it big, and that makes the album disjointed, and it really never finds consistency. I understand that he is probably the biggest name in country music, and he doesn't want to anger, or alienate his fans that love what he puts out, but he is also better than that, and that's what angers me the most when I hear his latest music.

Best Song- What Makes You Country

268x0w.jpg

62/100

After experimenting with their previous two releases(Uncaged, Jekyll + Hyde), Welcome Home is a much more traditional album from Zac Brown and his boys. Brown was even able to get traditional country's king producer, Dave Cobb, to help out with the album. It is definitely their best work in almost a decade, but there aren't many true memorable songs. Brown and his boys Niko Moon and Ben Simonetti(the three are Sir Roosevelt) wrote almost all of the album, and there is just country cliche after cliche. Its pandering to the lowest common denominator at its finest. This is no more relevant than the lead single from the album, My Old Man. A cringeworthy tribute to Brown's father that barely even made a blip on the charts. The Zac Brown Band from a decade ago is gone. Ive come to terms with that.

Best Song- Roots

268x0w.jpg

62/100

Chase Rice has been through a lot in the past few years. He was dropped from his record label. He released a couple of singles that didn't even chart, and he wrote a curious letter to all his fans saying that they music that they are hearing isn't the real Rice, and his new album would be the real Rice. That was two years ago, and Rice has finally released the album with the help of a new label. Does it have the bro-country pop sound that was his first album? There are a couple of songs that have those leanings still. The album really doesn't have a direction. There are a couple of more traditional songs that hearken back to Rice's sound before he had a record deal. There are a few bro-country pop songs like I stated. The rest are just kind of meh music row sounding songs.  It's a start for Rice, but I still don't have hope that he will ever be the guy that I was introduced to almost a decade ago.

Best Song- Three Chords & The Truth

268x0w.jpg

63/100

Old Dominion broke out a couple years ago, and had a enjoyable and fun sound. That sound is still on this new album, and when they do it right, the produce some of the best modern country songs in all the genre. Their writing is also a little different than what we all hear on country radio, and that helps them stand out. On Happy Endings, the writing is just not consistent enough for this album to really shine. I feel like this could be a product of the record label. It sounds like they wanted some straight forward, bland songs that could be gobbled up by the masses. They still have a very bright future in country music.

Best Song- Hotel Key

81JooIaUe3L._SY355_.jpg

65/100

Just five years ago, Parmalee looked like they could be the next big group in country music. They had a number one hit with the song Carolina, and then followed that up with two more top ten hits. Since then, we really haven't really heard anything from the group. Their first single off this album was released in 2016, and did not do much on the charts, but a new full length album has followed, and it's almost impressive. They have a bit more of a rock sound with 27861, and it works for them. There are some good uptempo songs on the album, but there arent enough of them. A number of bad songs are the reason that holds the album back from being very good.

Best Song- Savannah

Brett_Young_album_cover.jpg

67/100

I have been impressed with Brett Young so far in his short career. He is already one of the best in the genre at singing mid-tempo or slower songs, and his debut album is full of them. He does need work on the more uptempo stuff because the songs on the new album are lacking in quality. They are overproduced, and have a very pop sound, that I don't really think gel with his voice and style, but I hear enough good in his debut album to see a bright future for Young, and hopefully it is one that will not be too ruined with interference from his record label.

Best Song- You Ain't Here To Kiss Me

268x0w.jpg

67/100

If you have been living under a rock, and don't know who Wheeler Walker is, then let me introduce him to you. He is a character from a somewhat famous comedian. He sings traditional sounding songs that are lewd parodies of today's mainstream country music. He has built a huge following, and even got award winning producer Dave Cobb to produce his second album. Although it can be hard to listen to, and can be utter ridiculous at times, it has a pretty good sound, and some of the songs are very clever, and who doesn't love to make fun of all the suits on music row?

Best Song- Poon

220px-Jerrod_niemann_this_ride.jpg

68/100

I will not hide the fact that I love this dude. He is one of the most genuinely good guys in country music today, and it is good to see him take control over his music once again.....or at least take more control over it than what he had on his last album that gave us that damn song Donkey. The album definitely has a pop country sound still, but you can also hear who he is shine through that sound. I'm not sure if he will ever have another major hit. His record company doesn't seem to want to push him anymore, but his latest album is definitely worth the listen, even though it is not perfect.

Best Song- Leavin' a Trail

img-20170926-201057.jpg?1506471863

68/100

Hunter Hutchinson is looking to make his mark on the Texas Country scene. In 2015, he released his debut album, and was recognized and had some good feedback from it. He has now released his sophomore album in 2017. He makes strides with this new album. It has better written songs, and he is growing into his sound. All he needs now is some maturity in his music, and experience, and I think he will become one of the bigger artists in Texas. If you are a fan of older Aaron Watson music, then this will definitely be up your alley. I think both are very similar.

Best Song- Lovin' for the Last Time

mQnuVA19_400x400.jpg

69/100

The trio called Edens Edge released their debut song in 2011, and it was able to climb into the country top twenty. The group only released one more single, and in 2013, lead singer Hannah Blaylock left the group. It has been a long road for her, but she was able to independently release her first solo album in 2017. Blaylock has one of the best voices in country music, and maybe all music, and she lets that voice shine on the album. I don't think there are really any true standout tracks on the whole album, but her voice draws you in and you cant help but enjoy her singing. For a independent album released with no backing, it is impressive.

Best Song- Should've Been

Y4CDBP01.jpg

70/100

I have not enjoyed a Brad Paisley album in maybe ten years. Hell, it might be even longer since I have liked one of his singles. He went from one of the better artists in country music, to a caricature of what is a country singer. If this album was ten or eleven songs, I would probably give him the same label, but for once, a longer album worked. He is still putting out stupid songs, but they are a minimum on Love and War. Instead, he is letting his guitar abilities shine, and singing music that you heard from him in 2000, when he was one of the best new artists in Nashville. This album is on a lot of year end lists for the best, and it deserves praise, but the bad songs are truly bad, and keep it down on my list.

Best Song- Dying to See Her

Going to go a little faster to get this done.

38483367_350_350.jpg

70/100

This album is my first introduction to McCollum, a growing star in Texas. He has a unique voice, and it definitely works on some of the songs, but on others, it stands out in a negative way.

Best Song- I Cant Breathe

91fCuKLmRDL._SY355_.jpg

70/100

It's been a while since I have listened to an album from Parnell. His latest work is a blues filled effort that perfectly blends with his voice. It's definitely something that he should have done more of during his prime in the 90s.

Best Song- Sunny Days

colter-wall-self-titled.png

70/100

Wall has the most unique voice I have ever heard in country music. He has a rapidly growing fan base, and you can hear why on his latest album. It has a few songs that are some of the best in 2017, but it also has some throw away ones that cause the album to lose steam in places.

Best Song- Thirteen Silver Dollars

Chris-stapleton-from-a-room-volume-1.jpg

71/100

Volume 1 from Chris Stapleton is frankly uninspiring. He might not ever catch the magic that was his debut album, but this volume was very disappointing. I say this, and yet, it has a positive grade from me. That's how good the man is.

Best Song- I Was Wrong

Josh-Abbott-Band-Until-My-Voice-Goes-Out

71/100

The Josh Abbott Band is one of my favorite artists in country music today. The band has earned the right to do whatever they want with their music, and on their new album, they are experimenting with a horn section on almost every song. Even though its a new sound, the album has a feel that is too familiar to older music.

Best Song- Girl Down in Texas

Kipmooreslowheart.jpg

72/100

I read a lot of reviews saying that Moore is doing his own thing, and going against the grain in Nashville. I don't hear it. I do hear a more rock sound than what I normally hear in country music, but the lyrics are pretty much the same shallow ones that come out of the radio.

Best Song- Guitar Man

220px-Lindsay_Ell_-_The_Project_album_co

74/100

Ell has a gift with the guitar. She can play the hell out of it, but the problem is that you only really hear it once throughout the album. I credit that to producer Kristin Bush. I honestly dont think that he has any clue what he is doing suppressing Ell's gift.

Best Song- Wildfire

268x0w.jpg

74/100

I wanted to have this album in the top ten. It has some damn good songs, and you hear O'Toole channel his inner Springsteen, and other rockers throughout the album, but the album just doesn't have enough depth to rank it higher.

Best Song- The Hardest Part

3c6b74bd-602d-4be8-a613-85e10bcd0b08-1-4

75/100

Come Back Road is a good album. It's not a great album though. You can listen to every track and enjoy it, but there aren't many songs that really stand out, but in today's country climate, having an album that you can listen to all the way through is an accomplishment.

Best Song- Ain't Always Pretty

220px-Combs_this_one.jpg

75/100

Combs debut album is not unlike the album above. It is a good album, just not great. It does have a couple of very good songs where Combs is able to show off his good singing voice, and those are able to cancel out those couple of songs that are more mainstream that are poorly written.

Best Song- One Number Away

SharedImage-76839.jpg?t=d45c708f96e23bb1

76/100

The Cadillac Three were back again in 2017 with their new album Legacy just one year after releasing their previous album Bury Me in My Boots, and to be honest, I'm a little surprised it is a good as it is given the very short turnaround. It would be higher if there weren't a few songs that were written specifically for radio. They stood out like a sore thumb on the album.

Best Song- Tennessee

52844140?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

76/100

If you venture out to one of the many bars in East Nashville, this is a sound that you will hear. It's here country meets rock, punk, psychedelic, and many other sounds. You hear the sound in bigger artists like Margo Price, that call the area home. There are some songs on this album that I just love, but the band decides to use two lead singers, and that's where the problems come in.

Best Song- 86 My Mind

Chris-stapleton-from-a-room-volume-2.jpe

76/100

Volume 2 is a much better album from Chris Stapleton. Better songs. A better sound. It still has a couple of bad songs, like the song Millionaire, which is being played on XM radio. You add in the good songs from this album and the good ones from Volume 1, and you probably have a top 5 album for the year.

Best Song- Scarecrow in the Garden

Midland_on_the_rocks.jpg

77/100

Midland is probably the best new artist to come out on mainstream radio in some time, and this album really shows it. The music could easily be in the top ten for the year, but I just can't justify having them higher since none of this means anything to them. They are a manufactured trio, with manufactured bios to make them seem country. The music doesn't come from the heart, it comes from the Music Row machine.

18320434_10155349667515742_1606103238086

78/100

Proving Grounds is one of the albums I listened to the most for this list. There were times when I was captivated with it. Then there were other times where I would drift off to doing something else, and blocking out the music. There is greatness in this album. There are also parts where it just does nothing for me. Ultimately, it lands at sixteen on the list.

Best Song- Here I Come

lone-bellow-cover_300dpi-copy.jpg_sq-69f

78/100

The Lone Bellow's third album was produced by mega producer Dave Cobb. While it is not as good as their debut album, it is definitely their best produced album. It has a nice, crisp sound throughout. There does seem to be less harmonies than before. The songs rely mostly on lead singer Zach Williams on this album, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Best Song- Deeper in the Water

220px-Watson_vaquero.jpg

79/100

Vaquero was released almost a year ago. Like all of his albums, Aaron Watson released it independently, without help from a record label. Something happened in that year. His first single actually charted on Billboard, and then it climbed. It ended up in the top ten. A huge feet for an independent Texas artist. Vaquero is not Watson's best album. You can tell that he had a new producer on the album. One with a more rock history, but it didn't change his sound that much. There are still plenty of Texas cowboy music throughout it. Definitely worth the listen if you've never listened to a Watson album before.

Best Song- Diamonds & Daughters

tyminski_sg_cvr_10x10_hires_web_sq-8bf7a

79/100

You might not know the name, but you know the voice. Dan Tyminski used to be a member of Union Station, Allison Krauss' band. He was also the voice of the hit Man of Constant Sorrow from O Brother Where Art Thou? Knowing this, you would think that Southern Gothic is a bluegrass album. It's not. It definitely has heavy bluegrass parts, but Dan decided to blend that with electronic music. What you get is a somewhat dark album about the life in rural America. The music might not always hit all the right chords, but the writing more than makes up for it. Southern Gothic is one of the better written albums of the year.

Best Song- Devil is Downtown

52996169?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

78/100

The Turnpike Troubadours will get you high. The Turnpike Troubadours will get you down. Their music takes you on a rollercoaster. It's so well written that it could take you multiple listens to get the meaning of the songs(if you ever really do). A newly added steel guitar has made them even more country(if that is even possible). You know what you are getting when you listen to a Turnpike album. You are getting excellence.

Best Song- The Winding Stair Mountain Blues

eUPjPghh_400x400.jpg

80/100

Listening to Ned Ledoux is like hopping into a time machine and going back to the 80s and 90s. You hear his dad in every single song. Ned is truly Chris Ledoux's son. He plays good ol cowboy music. Listen to his version of his dad's greatest song, This Cowboy's Hat, or hear him sing about his dad in The Hawk, and tell me that isn't good music. I was pleasantly surprised with this album.

Best Song- The Hawk

51YStm70QdL._SY355_.jpg

80/100

This young lady caught me off guard. I instantly fell in love with her deep, raspy voice. Reading her bio, I expected a singer songwriter type of album, and I got that on some tracks, but she really came out of nowhere playing some awesome rockin' outlaw country on a few tunes, and then having a full old school country sound on others. Pretty impressed with this album overall, only a few small complaints that the songs towards the back of the album aren't as strong as the beginning.

Best Songs- Good Time Gone, Motorcycle, and Back When

Kelsea_Ballerini_-_Unapologetically_albu

80/10

Here is my big surprise of the year. Kelsea Ballerini is the top ranking mainstream Nashville artist. Ive never loved or hated Ballerini. I've enjoyed a couple of songs, but for the most part I have been indifferent, but I am a fan now. This album still leans pretty heavy towards the pop spectrum, but I am more impressed with Ballerini's writing ability. She had her hands on every song, and for someone her age and experience, thats impressive. I can see an album in the future where it is the best of the year if she keeps growing as an artist. She can be that good.

Best Songs- I Hate Love Songs, High School, and Miss Me More

worshamcover_sq-2bf077bf8c184455c7d84c6e

82/100

This guy is uber talented between his voice, his writing, and his ability to play instruments. His latest album came out without any press, and his lead single, Cut Your Groove, did not even hit the charts. People are missing out. The best way to describe Beginning of Things is positivity. From Cut Your Groove, to Please People Please, and Lawn Chair Don't Care, the music just puts you in a good mood. The best way I can describe parts of the album is if Worsham listened to every Roger Miller album, and then brought it into the 21st century.

Best Songs- Cut Your Groove, Call You Up, and Lawn Chair Don't Care

82/100

McPherson is a rocker. Whether that is rockabilly, east Nashville grunge, or 50s rock and roll depends on the song. You just never know what you are going to get. McPherson is a master of blending all sounds to something that is pleasing to the ear. This album is probably his most rock album yet. Drawing inspiration from Nashville rock legends The Black Keys, and having other rockers write songs and play on the album, Undivided Heart & Soul is probably the least country/Americana release from McPherson, but it hold up to any genre.

Best Songs- Jubilee, Lucky Penny, and Desperate Love

R-10055950-1490852726-4362.jpeg.jpg

82/100

Marty Stuart is a rare artist in Nashville. He doesn't abide by one singular sound. He has released songs and albums that have been country, bluegrass, and even a little rock. His latest album Way Out West takes us all back to the time of Marty Robbins. This album can be defined as a experimental album. It is set in the southwest, and takes the sounds and words from the great Robbins, but it also adds another layer. Instead of a straight rip off from a time past, Stuart adds a psychedelic element to the music that takes everything to another level. The album is fifteen tracks, but only about half have singing. The rest are instrumentals that help set the mood for the album, or for the next song.

Best Songs- Way Out West, Old Mexico, Lost On The Desert

Chris-Shiflett-225x225.jpg

83/100

You might know Chris Shiflett as the lead guitarist of the Foo Fighters, but he also is a big country music fan, and has his on country music podcast. His new album, West Coast Town, is a great combination of The Bakersfield Sound, and his own rock roots. Of course the guitar playing is the biggest stand out on the album. You can really hear true honky-tonk music in his playing, and you get that extra layer of loudness and punk from his main gig with the Foo Fighters.

Best Songs- West Coast Town, The Girl's Already Gone, I'm Still Drunk

Nashville-Sound-300x300.jpg

85/100

You can't have a best of list without Jason Isbell. He is arguably the most consistent country/americana artist in the business. While The Nashville Sound does come in at number four for the year, it is probably his weakest work as a solo artist. You still have the great storytelling and writing, but on this album there is a little more shift away from his fight with addition. There is also a couple of more political songs on the album. One does not work at all, but Hope the High Road is one of the best written political songs I have heard in a while. It's not too preachy, and still stands alone as a regular song.

Best Songs- If We Were Vampires, Cumberland Gap, Tupelo

Sunny-Sweeney-Trophy-Album-Cover-.jpg

85/100

On the album Trophy, Sweeney really figures out who she is as an artist, and she embraces it. She is not the music row artist that saw small success at the beginning of the decade. She is straightforward, honest country music, and she lets everyone know on the song There's Nothing Wrong with Texas. She has also written and released maybe the best song of the 21st century. Bottle by My Bed sounds like it could be a drinking song, and knowing Sweeney, it would be in her wheelhouse, but its not. It is a heart felt song about her wanting a child, and it not happening so far in her life. A bigger artist would have won every award imaginable if they released the song, but as a independent Texas artist, it wasn't widely heard.

Best Songs- Bottle by My Bed, Unsaid, Trophy

MI0004215300.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

90/100

The album is Halloween. The artist is Ruston Kelly. About all he is known for is being Mr Kacey Musgraves, but hopefully this will change soon. I honestly can't really pin down how to describe the music. It has an americana, singer songwriter feel. It has a Texas country aspect to it. It also has a little rock leaning to it. I'm going to let the lyrics of some of the songs tell its story

I hear voices from the basement, scratching on the roof
Seeing visions of you wasted, mumbling to the moon
Conjuring some darkness from the shadows in your room
Where I sold my hallelujah when I laid my soul in you

Love ain’t nothing more than black magic
You better want what you wish for
It might happen
I drank your poison
Fell under your spell
Love is hell and nothing more than black magic

-Black Magic

Your memory cuts into my day
It buries all my nights away
Thinkin' of you is like digging my own grave
You're my poison now

'Cause you still call when you need someone to love
Or you need a hand to touch
Threw my face down in the mud and watched me fall
'Til I'm crawling on my knees
'Till my fingers crack and bleed
And you've taken every part of me

You're my poison now
You're my poison now
Can I drain every drop of you out?
'Cause all that you are is poison

-Poison

You can dig a thousand graves
You're never gonna bury that ghost
Floats up from the ground and a caution that hangs in your hair like a Jesus stone
Crashing down too far from heaven
Fell too short of a million things
Try to put the pieces back together
It's what I get, flight on broken wings

-1000 Graves

Best Songs- Poison, Black Magic, 1000 Graves

purgatory_sq-968e99286785bab03962f7d8649

95/100

Now we come to the best of the year. Purgatory by Tyler Childers. If you have listened to me at all in 2017, you would have known this was an easy choice for me. This album, produced by Sturgill Simpson, is a tour de force in traditional country music, americana, and bluegrass. Childers might have the strongest male voice I have heard in a long time, and that is including Chris Stapleton. The first time I heard him sing, he opened up for Brent Cobb. I had no clue who he was. I wasn't paying attention at the bar, but it took about fifteen seconds of hearing his voice for me to walk down to the stage and gawk in wonderment as he sang and played. This album will end of as one of the best of the decade, but I know he can put out an even better album, because he has about twenty other songs that are as good or better than what you hear on this album.

Best Songs- Feathered Indians, Purgatory, I Swear(To God)

• 2 weeks later...