Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

9 hours ago, thelawoffices said:

Agreed, albeit not a surprise for me. 

Country radio is as bad as it’s been in a while imo 

So true.

I get that bro-country is over, and there is a niche for more traditional sounds, but not everyone can be Stapleton, Sturgill, or Isbell.

Dierks Bentley has pretty much killed any chance for me to like his new album. Have you heard any of that crap? Its as if Mumford and Sons tried to make their own music, but make it just worse, and Dierks thinks he is doing more traditional stuff. Its mind blowing. 

Ive almost gone 100% to Texas Country. Its actually genuine.

I was going to do a list of albums Ive liked for the first half of the year at the end of the month, and there is a huge list. There is a ton of great country music out there, but its not in Nashville. Brent Cobb, Gord Bamford, Kyle Park, Mike and the Moonpies, Ross Cooper, Shotgun Rider, and Wade Bowen are just a few of the great albums out right now.

Jason Aldean has probably put out the best album from Music Row this year, but its not a top ten album. Something has to change. 

• Joe Nichols-Good Ole Boys Like Me
  • Kyle Park-Aint Nobody Hotter
  • Travis Denning-David Ashley Parker From Powder Springs
  • Sam Hunt-Downtown's Dead
  • Rich O'Toole-Coke
  • Mike and the Moonpies-Beaches of Biloxi
  • Shotgun Rider-Me and a Memory
  • Jordan Rager-One of the Good Ones

Those are the songs Im listening to right now that I love. 

Tuned in to the CMT Music Awards last night. Holy fudge that was some of the worst-sounding garbage I've heard in a long, long time. What an embarrassment. 

There's some good mainstream country out there right now, but you need to really search for it. 

12 hours ago, Slinky said:

Tuned in to the CMT Music Awards last night. Holy fudge that was some of the worst-sounding garbage I've heard in a long, long time. What an embarrassment. 

There's some good mainstream country out there right now, but you need to really search for it. 

Had free pit passes and I had free seat filler passes for that. Didnt use them. You couldnt pay me to go to that crap. CMT Awards are 100 times worse than the CMAs or the ACMs.

Billboard top 60-The songs I like

Luke Combs-One Number Away
Kane Brown-Heaven
Sam Hunt-Downtown's Dead
Old Dominion-Hotel Key
Chase Rice-Three Chords & the Truth
Luke Bryan-Sunrise, Sunburn, Sunset
Ashley McBryde-A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonega
Kelsea Ballerini-I Hate Love Songs
Russell Dickerson-Blue Tacoma
Mitchell Tenpenny-Drunk Me
Aaron Watson-Run Wild Horses
Tyler Rich-The Difference
Travis Denning-David Ashley Parker from Powder Springs

Billboard top 60-Songs I absolutely hate

Dierks Bentley-Woman, Amen
Kenny Chesney-Get Along
Keith Urban-Coming Home
Morgan Evans-Kiss Somebody
Carrie Underwood-Cry Pretty
Lady Antebellum-Heart Break
Thomas Rhett-Life Changes
Justin Moore-Kinda Dont Care
FGL-Simple
Cole Swindell-Break Up in the End
Chris Jansen-Drunk Girl
Sugarland-Babe
Carly Pearce-Hide The Wine
LANCO-Born to Love You
Chris Young-Hangin On
Dustin Lynch-Good Girl
Chris Staplelton-Millionaire

The rest are just meh

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 10:11 PM, DoleINGout said:

I agree with your sentiments on those songs you hate but "Millionaire", "Heart Break" and "Get Along" have grown on me @devils1854.

First time I heard the album, Millionaire stood out as the worst song I’ve ever heard from Stapleton. Not his style. It’s awful. No clue why it’s a single.

i hate Lady A. Always have.

Get Along is the worst cliched song I’ve heard in a while, and country music is nothing but cliches now, so that’s saying a lot.

17 hours ago, devils1854 said:

First time I heard the album, Millionaire stood out as the worst song I’ve ever heard from Stapleton. Not his style. It’s awful. No clue why it’s a single.

i hate Lady A. Always have.

Get Along is the worst cliched song I’ve heard in a while, and country music is nothing but cliches now, so that’s saying a lot.

Ive been anti Lady A too. The lyrics of Millionaire are at least a little tender but I dont listen to it all that much, just saying I dont mind it.

Get Along is very cliche but maybe thats its charm. Again I only have listened to it a handful of times. There are much worse sings on radio I wont listen to at all.

23 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Listening to the new Dierks album for the first time, and I don’t think garbage is the right word for it. I could crap a better album. It’s a farce what he is trying to do now.

I hate when artists go away from what they were good at. Dierk's first 2-3 albums were gold. 

• 6 months later...

Been a while I have posted on this thread. Been kinda bored with a lot of what has been put out this year, but I will try to do my year end list. I don’t have a laptop right now so it will all come from my phone, so it will be abbreviated. No graphics. 

Going to start with EPs like usual. I ranked 20 this year.

20.Waterloo Revival-Wonder Woman

This three song EP has no redeeming value at all. This group has gone way down hill since signing with Toby Keith’s Showdog Records a couple years ago. You don’t even want to listen to it to hear how bad it is.(5/50)

19.Jillian Jacqueline-Side B

Maybe females will be more in tuned to listen to this album. I usually can enjoy music made and for women, but this is just an album that falls flat to my ears. Nothing really stands out from the overused cliches used in Nashville.(20/50)

18.Drake White-Pieces

Oh how Drake has fallen. He has gone from one of the most promising, most unique talents in Nashville, to just another guy. Since switching management and his full team, Drake has lost his edge, and now sounds like any other Nashville artist. There is no soul in any of the songs on this new EP.(20/50)

17.Levi Hummon-Pieces

Ive always been hot and cold with Levi. He will release a song that I really like, then will follow it up with something that shouldn’t be heard. This whole album is full of music that is just bland. He had always been more of a pop country artist, but this album takes it even further.(20/50)

16. Muscadine Bloodline-Movin’ On

I really love these Alabama boys. Their 2017 EP was one of my favorites of the year, but their 2018 follow up pales in comparison. The harmonies are not as good. The writing is not as good. Just the whole product is a step down. Hopefully, better things are to come next year and I’m the future.(22/50)

Edited by devils1854

15.Florida Georgia Line-Florida Georgia Line

With this EP, you can see that even Florida Georgia Line has grown past Bro-Country. That doesnt mean that the music is good though. With their new EP, you hear their music shift to what looks the be the new craze in country, and that is a R&B sound. FGL isnt the first country artist to have their music sound like this, and they wont be the last. Its not the worst sound in the world, but its not that good either.(23/50)

14.Kelleigh Bannen-The Joneses

This girl has never put out a full length album. Its just single after single, and maybe if there were more than three songs on this EP, it would be ranked higher, but having one really bad song and two ok songs is going to keep you this far down. This is easily the weakest work in her career, and you really dont know what she is trying to do with this. Its just confusing.(24/50)

13.Brown & Gray-Salt in the Coffee

You put together a English pop writer/singer and a pretty Texas, and this is what you get. Most of the music has a very pop sound, and they really dont even try to hide the fact that its not even close to country music, but they have great harmonies, and their single "Top Down" is a guilty pleasure of mine.(25/50)

12.Everette-Slow Roll

This EP from this new band is actually a lot of fun to listen to. You can put on the five song work and just listen through it. The main problem is that there really is no substance in the music. Its fun, but forgettable. The lead single, and title track, will probably be on my end of the year list for favorite songs.(28/50)

11.Daniel E. Johnson-All We Ever Knew

This EP is the first time Ive listened to this unsigned Georgia artist, and he pretty much has the same rock sound as the rest of the guys from the state that arent signed. Its not bad. Its not great. I do like his voice, and there seems to be some talent in his writing, but he is far from a finished product.(29/50)