Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

55.71ystQ7gVOL._SY355_.jpg

Last year I gave a positive review to Allen's EP. He followed that up with his first full length album this year, and while it has a few songs from that EP on the album, there isnt much to really like about this album. He has a good voice. Its a voice for country music, but as with most Nashville artists, the album is overproduced, and its very R&B leaning. It also doesnt help that there are fifteen tracks on the album. Hardly any artist can make a good album with that many tracks. There is usually too much fluff, and it is apparent that is the case in Mercury Lane.(43/100)

54.71Fe2lL8maL._SY355_.jpg

Ive been a fan of Kane Brown since he was using his own money to put out EPs. Those days where he used his unique voice to compliment a more country leaning sound are over. Its frustrating because he still has a few of those songs on his newest album. You can even hear 80s Mel McDaniel in his song Short Skirt Weather. Its almost like a follow up to McDaniels Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans on. It doesnt have that much substance, but its a fun and catchy tune. The rest of the album veers back and forth between pop, R&B, and hard electric guitar.(46/100)

53.71mUbs2+4oL._SY355_.jpg

If you look up phoning in a album, the newest album from Carrie would probably be there look back at you. I will give her a little credit. Songs Ghost on the Stereo and Backsliding are two different songs, but both are songs that you would put up against a lot of her best work. Underwood chose a more minimal sound on Ghosts on the Stereo and it works. It sounds like old country. Backsliding is more like her newer stuff with a more pop sound, but she lets her amazing voice do the work, and it stands out. The rest of the album are just regurgitated sounds and tropes that youve heard twenty times on her previous albums.(49/100)

52.91KGL3AuI6L._SS500_.jpg

Upchurch is a local Nashville country rapper that has been gaining a lot of fans. He's actually done songs with the likes of Luke Combs. The guy has legitimate talent as a rapper, unlike a lot of guys that call themselves country rappers and are more like novelty acts. When I put this album on, I was very surprised to hear that this album was much more of a rock album, and has hardly any rap verses in it. It sounds like Stained or other rock artists from the 2000s. Its not bad. It does have some catch songs, but it also has a lot of cliche music, and there just isnt enough good to outweigh the bad.(50/100)

51.81vYzyrepzL._SY355_.jpg

This was supposed to be the album that Dierks fans were waiting for since he dropped his bluegrass album in 2010, and it was especially needed since he lost his way and put out the bad mashup of an album called Black in 2016. Boy, were we bamboozled. There really isnt much difference in this album than Black. It still has the pop sounds, the millennial whoop in Woman, Amen, and just uninspiring writing. The bad thing is that he teases his fans. Travelin Light and One Way are pure bluegrass, and they stand out, and could be two of the best songs released in all of country music in 2018. There should have been much more of that, and less pop Nashville.(51/100)

50.91CNxCxhz2L._SY355_.jpg

Ill give Murphy some credit. Other than the awful hit single with Kenny Chesney that used electronic beats, he stayed pretty much to what he has been playing for almost three decades. The album is just like his hit albums from the 90s. They have a couple of good songs, and a lot of songs that are forgettable. Murphy is one of the best writers in Nashville, and you can somewhat see that on this album. The cliched songs are better written on this album than that of another Nashville artist that gets songs from other writers. Im just glad he is back putting out albums. He will always have a couple of great songs, even if you have to wade through some crap.(54/100)

49.81rmyUza8zL._SY355_.jpg

This is easily the best album from Big Smo. I really started to like him in his early years, because even though he was a rapper, he rapped about country stuff, and used traditional country instruments. He went away from that the past few albums, but its back in Special Reserve, and this album has the best writing in Smo's career. I want to highlight The Message. Its a little like Stan from Eminem. Its a true story about a fan trying to get in touch with Smo about how much his music touched him, and that he was stricken with cancer and it didnt look good. Its not something you would expect out of Smo, but if you have met the man, you would know that he is just a good dude that really cares for his fans. The album comes in this low because its a rap album and it cant compare to other albums on this list, but its definitely worth a listen.(56/100)

48.71z6I+ht7qL._SY355_.jpg

If you have followed this thread at all, you would know that Mitchell is my boy, and I love all the success that he is getting because he deserves it. He is a really good guy......but that doesnt mean he put out something good with his debut album. It does have those good songs that he released without a major label, and they are still the best on the album. The problem is that he allowed the man to dictate how he was going to sing, and with a voice as soulful as his, they wanted a more R&B type feel, and its just not good. Im hoping this will be the only album that is that way because his next single is Alcohol You Later, which is one of his older songs that is nothing like this new Tenpenny.(56/100)

47.41SJzW7axkL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

I really think this kid has a bright future in Texas country music, and maybe even more than that. He has a great voice. I love his music. He mixes a bluesy sound with southern rock and country. A real swampy vibe. Mason is a young guy. I think he is only 20 years old, so he has time to hone his craft. His writing needs work. There are too many songs on his album that dont work. His breakout Texas hit Lonely Comes Back Around is one of the better singles to come from Texas in 2018, and his new song, Heavy Toll, might be the best on the album. The kid has a bright future, but it might have been a little early for a full length album.(58/100)

46.81dbFRyGurL._SY355_.jpg

I made a joke about this guy last year being one of the new artists to watch, and that he would have a number one single by the end of March. It was the middle of April, but his debut song Singles You Up went number one. Its a bad song. Most of the album is just as bad, and that is what is frustrating. This guy can actually sing, and sing very well. He could be one of the best in Nashville, but he is just going to follow his record label wherever they go, and probably wont get anywhere. Listen to the album tracks Leaving New Orleans and Slow Dancing in a Parking Lot, and tell me this guy cant sing.(58/100)

45.81G3sLIwcXL._SY355_.jpg

Its surprising how good Michael Ray can be. With the tattoos and fancy looking hair, he doesnt look like a country singer, but he surprises you with a voice that is perfect for the genre. I heard that on his first album with songs like Real Men Love Jesus and Drivin' All Night, and you can hear it on his sophomore album. Summer Water is easily the best song on his latest release. If you close your eyes, you can picture it being a song from the 90s. No bad cliches, no electronic beats, just a good song. There are a couple more good songs on the album, but unfortunately, Ray has the rest of the album littered with electronic beats and dumb lyrics like the first track Fan Girl.(59/100)

44.81Xw-4O2riL._SY355_.jpg

Shooter Jennings has always been a artist that does his own thing, and not going along with whats normal. Maybe its because he is trying to distance himself from his iconic father. When this new album came out, I had no clue what to expect, but instead of some hard rock, electronic sounds, we are taken back to the 70s and 80s, when Hank Jr was king. You can tell that Hank has been a huge influence on Shooter, especially with both having legendary dads. The first song on the album is Bound Ta Get Down, and it sounds like like Born to Boogie. Its a fun song. The problem with this album is that there is just too much filler. D.R.U.N.K., Do You Love Texas?, I'm Wild & My Woman Is Crazy are all songs that are poorly written, cliched songs that could come from any of today's Nashville artists.(60/100)

43.61sISL7hoHL.jpg

Drew Moreland is one of the better honkey tonk singers in Texas. I had a hard time with this album. There is a lot to like. Moreland does a great job of setting a mood with his voice, and with every song, you know this is Texas Country. I think that could be the major problem though. It seems like this album is nothing but telling all the listeners that he is from Texas, and how great Texas is, and if one is being completely objective, doing stuff like that constantly is pretty much having Nashville artists constantly sing about getting drunk and trucks. Everything is better in moderation. The albums is still worth a listen, but you have to take it for what it is.(60/100)

42.71RbhPDQTmL._SY355_.jpg

There are son many artists in Nashville that are toeing the company line that when you hear something different coming out of there, many automatically label it as great. I feel that is what happened with the latest album from this duo. They are the poster boys, along with Stapleton, for popular country music that is doing their own thing. Just because someone plays their own instruments and drops the names of Willie and Hank, it doesnt mean they are cool or edgy. Their initial release off the album Shoot Me Straight, is nothing different from anything else in Nashville. Its a shallow song with bad writing, and I feel like thats this whole album...for the most part. There are a few good songs, but this album pales in comparison to their debut.(60/100)

41.A1AEnUQ9JlL._SS500_.jpg

If you follow the music charts, you would see that it has been five years since David Nail has had a hit. That led to him being released from his record contract. Its over a year later, and we have gotten an independent album from Nail. Its nothing like the polished music that we heard from him during his time on a major label. The music has more of an edge too it. Its heavy on the electric guitar, and it sounds really good with Nail's voice. You can tell that the album really came out of nowhere because there is an unevenness throughout the album. There are a really good songs. In My Head is a song Nail wrote about his struggle with depression. White Trash Girl is another stand out track on the album. Its almost a good album.(61/100)

40.71ywJg0Vq+L._SY355_.jpg

By The Way, I Forgive You might be the most intense, deep album of the year. She deals with suicide, addiction, being a mother, and heartbreak. You dont get a moment to rest in any song. You'll see this album on tons of best of the year lists, and I wouldnt fault anyone that has this album that high. I just cant do it. Its really well written, but its hard to listen to. There's no levity at all. Its just hitting you over the head, song after song. Carlile is an amazing artist, one of the best singer songwriters of the past decade, but this album just wasnt for me.(62/100)

39.41FR-uyrDEL._SY355_.jpg

15 songs. Thats what you get on the new release from Candian star Gord Bamford. Both of his first singles, Neon Smoke and Dive Bar, are enjoyable songs. Most of this album is really in the mold of most 90s country albums. Easy to listen to, not too much under the surface, a few good songs, but ultimately its an album that will be forgotten in a year or so. He does have a duet with Tracy Lawrence called The Out Crowd that closes out the album.(63/100)

38.6182uMzEkRL._SX342_QL70_.jpg

Sometimes Nashville can get it right, even when the songs are pop filled, snap track based. Take Back Home Girl with Tori Kelly is one of those songs that just hit me from the beginning and I fell in love with it. Maybe its because Kelly is one of the best female singers in any genre and her voice blends well with Lane. Or maybe its because the lyrics are written perfectly for a Nashville hit. I know a lot of people that love what they call "true country music" will push their noses up at this, but I think that Nashville got it right with this one. The rest of the album has four or five more songs like this that are just good music, but it also has about ten other songs that go too far into to pop, R&B, and electronic stuff that its tough to listen to.(63/100)

37.81DxiVgdqOL._SY355_.jpg

Man, I really tried to like this album. I like Hood. He is a prolific writer in Texas and in Nashville. I love the lead single She Dont Love Me with Brent Cobb, but there really wasnt enough here to really catch me and bring me in. I think its the case of there being a lot of pretty good songs, but other than the lead single, there really wasnt anything that I would call great. I do like that the album sounds just like his home state. This is something you would expect from a artist from Alabama in the mid 70s or 80s.(64/100)

36.61Ew67VC7pL._SX342_QL70_.jpg

This is an album is the polar opposite from Adam Hood. Its something that I tried to not like, but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought it would. I think you can just feel the happiness and joy radiating out from Jones as she sings, and its kind of addicting. Im not sure if I really call Jones a country singer. I dont know if she could even tell you what kind of artist she is. You hear some pop country. You hear some coffee shop singer songwriter. You hear some straight pop from her. Overall, I surprisingly enjoyed the album for what it is, although there is definitely an identity crisis from Jones.(65/100)

35.61x2sG-p9hL._SX355_.jpg

On Other Arrangements, Parker Millsap breaks new ground in his career. Up until this album, Millsap showed off his bluegrass, americana sound that was heavily influenced by his upbringing in a prodestant church. On this new project, he throws it all out the window, and shows off a more electric guitar, pop sounding album. The album starts off hard and heavy with Fine Line with Parker showing off his guitar talents and belting out a almost strictly rock sound. He then goes back and forth between the hard electric guitar, and slower popish love songs. Its not bad, but I dont think this music is right for Millsap, and his voice is better being used in much more traditional ways.(65/100)

34.81by-ArLX-L._SY355_.jpg

There are points in Jason Aldean's latest album where you hear that straight arena rock country sound that he helped to pioneer in the mid 2000s. Its still his best sound, and it truly fits his personality and voice. Those songs are the standouts on the album. If he would have stayed with those sounds, this could have been his best album in a decade, but he just had to bring in electronic beats on about half of the other songs, and he even raps badly on one song. It feels like he is trying to do one thing, and his record label is trying to do another.(65/100)

33.919wKncsdFL._SY355_.jpg

Ben Danaher came out swinging when he released the first couple of songs off his album. Hell of High Water and Jesus Can See You are both songs about a woman who has done her man wrong. Both have strong Bible metaphor's in the songs, and both show off the strong, bluesy sound of Danaher's voice. The rest of the album tries to replicate this passion, but I dont really think he really hits with any of the other songs, like he does these two. Im still really impressed with Danaher's talent, and I think he has a lot of very good albums ahead of him.(66/100)

32.81fuGa8UrmL._SY355_.jpg

BJ Barham is probably one of the better songwriters in country/americana, and he definitely shows it throughout the newest American Aquarium album. He says what he is thinking at all times, and doesnt care what others think, and that includes peppering his thoughts about the political landscape in America. Stuff like that turns me away. A little here and there is fine, but too much is a distraction, and I think it distracts from a somewhat damn good album. The album is also a little disjointed. Some of the songs are perfect country music, and others are just straight up rock. Once again, something like this usually doesnt faze me if an album is good, but I just couldnt get into this album.(66/100)

31.81xIOuZOaeL._SS500_.jpg

Tucker Beathard had a nice little blip on the Nashville country radar a couple of years ago. His debut song, Rock On, went all the way to #2 on the country charts, but we havent heard anything from him since then. Beathard did not want to release the music that his label wanted to release, so after a long period, he was able to get out of his record contract, and he has released his first full length album on his own record label. There is some damn good writing on this album. For a guy to be so young, he is able to perfectly put a pen to a pad and pour out what is going on in his life. The album is definitely a lot more rock, and I would say it has some of a East Nashville sound. Thats good, and it can be bad. I think its a worthy debut, but he can definitely improve musically.(67/100)

30.61bb9cnJvPL._SX355_.jpg

Its not a bad thing that the group has been compared to the Eagles throughout their time together. They have such great harmonies throughout the group, and their sounds are usually stuck somewhere between rock and pop from the 60s and 70s, and southern rock from the same era. The first time I heard the song Wildfire from the album, I thought I was listening to the Eagles. Their music is good. Their voices are good, but I cant help to think that sometimes Im listening to a cover band on this album, because of that sound that is exactly the same as the Eagles.(67/100)

29.320x0w.jpg

If you looked at my favorite songs of 2018, then you would have seen three Kyle Park songs in the top ten. Aint Nobody Hotter, What the Heaven, and his latest single Rio are pure Texas country songs, and the fiddle work in each of the three songs is some of the best that Ive heard in 2018. There are seven other songs on the album. Rednecks with Paychecks, Smoke and Beers, and Beer Can are as bad as the three previous songs are good. They are just throw away cliched songs that you just want to forget. That leaves four other songs, and one of them is a remake of a Merle song, so the album ended up being a huge disappointment because Park could not replicate the greatness of the singles that he released.(68/100)

28.51k7S8+kLDL._SY355_.jpg

This album has pretty much been named the best album of the year in all of country music, and will probably win a Grammy for the best album period. Musgaves does a great job of stepping out of the box, and bringing in fans that have never even thought about listening to country music with this album. Thats the appeal. This is an album for everyone. White, black, green, male, female, gay, or straight. Everyone can find something they like with this. Me personally, as a country music fan, I dont see a great album. I see great pieces, but not a great album. I feel like this is the weakest written album of her first three. She has come out and talked about the drugs that she was on while writing some of these songs, and that sounds cool and all, but that leave songs with lines in them that have no purpose in the big picture of the album, or one minute songs about a mother that sounds like a teenager could have written it. Space Cowboy is a great, great song, and I even like the disco sound of High Horse, but I cant say that this is a great album with a straight face.(68/100)

27.61hMEgMZHPL._SX355_.jpg

Remember when country music used to be called country and western? Well, Colter Wall is the western part of it. He has grown a pretty big following from making songs about the old west, and basically sounding like he is sitting at a campfire out in the middle of the desert singing these songs. Some think of him as a novelty act because of this sound, but its what he has been doing for three albums now. The album has a few excellent songs like Wild Dogs, but I dont think this album captures the lighting in a bottle like his last album.(68/100)

26.71DfC-59WTL._SY355_.jpg

This is the first album released by Joshua, and the first thing you will hear is his amazing voice, and then you will hear his sound. This album sounds great. Everything sounds perfectly packaged....and that is the problem. The music is exactly what you would hear in the 1950s or 60s. Its straight Countrypolitan, which is the over produced sound that Nashville came up with to counter act the twang and swing that was out at the time. Its Patsy Cline or Eddy Arnold. Hedley does it perfectly. Songs like Mr Jukebox and Dont Waste Your Tears could have been number one hits back in the day, but at the end of the day, this album just sounds fake. From what Joshua is wearing to listening to the album, it just sounds like this was all prepacked for a reason.(68/100)

25.71fJwWOV2qL._SS500_.jpg

So when Kip Moore decided to do a acoustic tour this year, he also released this album to go along with it. Its only seven songs, so I probably should have put in on the EP list. I didnt, but if I would have, it would have been in the top five. I have it at a 70 on the LP list because of the lack of songs, and because two of the seven songs arent original to this recording. Besides that, this could be the best thing that Moore has ever put out. Without the big rock production that he loves, he allows his voice to shine, and it really does all the heavy lifting throughout the album. Listening to this makes me want to hear a fully stripped down album from him.(70/100)

Love You To The Moon-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6BJHH5sujE

24.Scotty_change.jpg

Scotty McCreery released the album See You Tonight in 2013. It had two top ten songs on it. It is now five years later, and we finally get a new album. McCreery is now twenty five years old. He is married, and has a new record label. After one listen of this album, I really didnt feel to much, but after a few listens, I noticed a few things. One, there arent electronic beats on this. There is no pop sounds. McCreery is a country singer and he sticks to that, and thats another thing I noticed. His accent seems even more pronounced on this album. Its like he wants everyone to know exactly what he is, and the music from the album shows that. He is a country boy from North Carolina, and you hear it throughout the album, and thats what struck me the most. McCreery even at his young age, knows what he wants to be in the music business, and he is showing it, and Im glad its paying off for him since both of his first two singles have hit number one on the charts.(71/100)

Home in My Mind-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NtbNKYrXE     

23.81hubzm+P-L._SY355_.jpg

If Kenny Chesney never put out an album or songs that showcased his love for beach life then this could have been seen as a revelation in country music. Chesney was inspired to do this album after the devastation of Hurricane Irma. You hear how personal this album is to Kenny in the music and in the writing, especially in the title track. The album does veer off course at times. I dont like beach music sounds and there are heard from a few songs, and especially in the duets with Ziggy Marley and Jimmy Buffet. Also, the first single Get Along is about as cliched as any song released in 2018, and really doesnt have a place on the album. I do have to say that I love Kenny's version of Gulf Moon, a song written and recorded by Texas artist John Baumann. Kenny really does make the song his own.(72/100)

Gulf Moon-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTshSC7w57I

Gulf Moon by John Baumann-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRr53kUkeP8

22.91XhJAdY1kL._SS500_.jpg

If you are a fan of the 90s country sound, then Randall King is the artist for you. The Texas artist released his debut album in 2018, and it takes you back to that time where the country sound was much more simple. Ive discussed artists that have put out albums that have a particular sound and have been somewhat critical of them. Im much less critical of King and his sound because it sounds pure. Its sounds like this is the true sound of the aritst. Its King's vision. His hit song Mirror, Mirror is a classic waltz about a guy that is lamenting breaking the heart of a former love. It is the stand out track from a new artist that could potentially have a big career in his future.(74/100)

Mirror, Mirror-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTymGMAfgU

21.81aeShBbIPL._SY355_.jpg

Its more common now in Nashville for artists to not write their own music. There have been great artists in the past like Garth and George that hardly ever wrote their music, but they knew exactly what they wanted to purvey in their sound. It really is an art, and I think Swindell might be the best in Nashville at this. He cowrote five of the twelve songs on this album, but every song has its purpose and the same perspective. There's a little too much production in the album, but you get that with every album that comes from Music Row. The thing I like most about the album is how positive Swindell sounds and how you think that everything will be ok no matter what he is singing about.(75/100)

Dad's Old Number-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6tGn1GXG_U

On 2/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, Slinky said:

What has K. Musgraves done to herself? Now she sings a garbage brand of pop. And she went from looking cute and wholesome to a rodeo clown with all the makeup she wears now. The drawn-on eyebrows just ruins it. 

Well for a lot of artists in all genres the third album is the album that they start to experiment since they are usually established by then. Eric Church(Chief), Easton Corbin(About to Get Real), Thomas Rhett(Life Changes), Luke Bryan(Tailgates & Tan Lines) are just a few in country music the past few years. If you want to look back a little bit just look at Garth. His first two albums were straight country. What did he do in his third album? He added all his Billy Joel and James Taylor influences and we got Shamless(an actual Joel song) and The River.

Musgraves knows that she isnt going to find an audience on country radio, so where do you go from there? Go out and find money not in the country genre, and non-country music fans have latched onto the album. The gays absolutely love her, and have almost singlehandedly brought in a new audience for her. Also, she has gone full into embracing her drug use, and promoting it. She has said in interviews that she wrote at least one song while high on LSD, and thats not counting the overt weed use that she constantly glorifies.

I have loved Kacey since before she had a record deal, and she was singing backup and duets with the Josh Abbott Band, but her winning album of the year for all genres is a joke. That album isnt even one of the best five albums released by women in country music in 2018....speaking of that, I have to finish my year end list.

• Like 1

20.A1TiR1qbWxL._SY355_.jpg

Blackberry Smoke has been one of the best southern rock bands for at least a decade now. Their newest album, Find a Light, my be my favorite from the band. From the first seconds of the album, you hear something a little different. Flesh and Bone, the lead single of the album, starts off with a hard electric guitar riff, and it just takes off from there. The harder sounds arent something you usually hear from the band, but it sounds amazing and blends perfectly with Charlie Starr's vocals. Most of the album is pretty much what you normally hear from the group, but I enjoy them pushing their limits a little, and seeing what they can do musically.(76/100)

Flesh and Bone  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsYQ56Ubovc

19.B1yCOYiWGlS._SY355_.jpg

Jinks has really taken off in the past few years, going from a regional act around Texas, to having a huge national following while sticking to his roots and being one of the flag bearers of outlaw country. His newest album Lifers is probably his weakest work overall. Its not bad, but we are used to seeing Jinks taking chances with his music, and this new album just sounds safe. Im not sure if he did it for this new audience, but it lacks the edge we normally hear from him. Its not a bad album by any means, but it just doesnt have the great songs that you are used to hearing from him.(77/100)

Head Case  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3goMuIasvHQ

18.71Itb9IAR+L._SY355_.jpg

Most country fans know McKenna as a song writer, and a damn good one. She is still the first writer in over a decade to write a song with no co-writer and have it go number one on the country charts(Humble and Kind). Her newest album is a song writers paradise. She writes about what she knows, so you will hear songs about being a mother, married life, the difficulties of life in general, and all these mundane acts dont seems so mundane when Lori puts her spin on it. I dont love her as an actual singer. She is solid, but there are times when listening to the album when my mind wanders and its hard to keep my attention on listening to the music.(78/100)

The Fixer  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkSqJQcJbXg

17.519ZNfxnQWL._SY355_.jpg

True honky tonk music is kind of hard to find in country today. You can hear variations from Texas to Nashville, but there seems to always be something missing, but once you listen to Steak Night at the Prairie Rose, you instantly realize what the real thing is. On one song, the steel guitar is the focus. On the next, its a piano, and then you'll hear a electric guitar infused diddy next. The album always keeps you on your toes and gives off the aura of the listener actually being in a bar in the middle of nowhere Texas listening to the guys play these songs live. The story telling on the title track and their leadoff single, Beaches of Biloxi, are some of the best in 2018, and really help to legitimize a sound that could have just been a novelty in lesser hands.(79/100)

Steak Night at the Prairie Rose  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEt_X3S-v-8

16.51fA+xznNOL._SY355_.jpg

McBryde's debut album was released the same day in March as Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves, so one could see why she got a little overshadowed, but all it takes is hearing the first few bars of Girl Goin Nowhere to know that there isnt anyone going to overshadow this girl singing wise. Her debut single, A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonega has been raved about over and over, and was on many year end best lists in 2017. The attitude, the voice, the tattoos. The mix between traditional country and honkey tonk. Its not something that gives way to a lot of success in the bubble that is Nashville, but if any female singer can do it, its Ashely McBryde.(80/100)

A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonega  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI7YCYR4EyM

Edited by devils1854

15.eric%20church_desperate%20man.jpg

Do we ever really know what to expect with Mr Church? Since he has taken charge of his own career, we have heard music that is out of the box, and not something that Music Row is selling. This is still the case with his latest release. On Desperate Man, you start off with The Sanke, another metaphor filled song that I think was written about Nashville and its corruption of artists. From there you go on a journey through the 60s and 70s. You can hear heavy Motown and Muscle Shoals influences throughout the rest of the album. Im glad that Church continues to take risks, and he is constatly rewarded for this by his fans. Desperate Man is another solid album.(80/100)

Some of It  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eHW0oosDo

14.51Cz1SXNpWL._SX342_QL70_.jpg

The biggest surprise of the year? This debut album from Morgan Wallen. Im sure everyone has heard Up Down, and cringed when they heard the Bro Country sound, and of course Florida Georgia Line. I pretty much dismissed Wallen as a artist at that point. I then saw him on tv with a mullet Billy Ray Cyrus would be proud of, and I really thought that he was trying way too hard. I started listening to the album, and my mind was instantly changed. The image Wallen gives off is him, and you hear it in the music. Its fun. Its catchy. Its just cliched enough to get invested, but its not Bro country. Its what a good 90s country album is, and if Wallen can walk that fine line between the two different eras, then he can have a nice, long career.(81/100)

Whiskey Glasses  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjBp30kjzTc

13.71DkZH9LLeL._SY355_.jpg

Shires has been all over country music since she was a little kid. From Bob Wills to her now husband, Jason Isbell, Shires has been a part of many different types of country music. Her voice is pure, and her fiddle skills are almost second to none, so when you listen to her new album, and you hear none of that, its a little jarring. I wouldnt say that To the Sunset is a experimental album, but Shires is trying to show a different side of herself. The album is dirty sounding, almost grungish, but it never shy's too far away from country music. Shires voice and writing talent still shines through, and makes this album one of the most interesting of the year.(81/100)

Parking Lot Pirouette  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQum8-Ewxo

12.91IqzP32OPL._SY355_.jpg

Solid Ground is the first solo country release for Bowen in four year. Between 2014 and now, he put out a gospel album and two albums with buddy Randy Rogers. Im not sure what he did, or what he learned in that time, but Solid Ground is his most complete album in his career. Bowen effortlessly uses almost all sounds associated with Texas, swing/mariachi/traditional/contemporary, to produce an album that cohesively takes the listener to every corner of the state and gives them a peek under the hood of music in the large state. The album is probably the most upbeat album Bowen has released. Im used to hearing songs about pain from him, but even songs that deal with death or moving on have this optimistic tone to them.(82/100)

So Long 6th Street  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTbBJl9LoaU

11.719l6FLqzQL._SX355_.jpg

Tell me that you've heard this before. A pansexual single mother who is a community activist in LGBTQ gives one of the best country albums of the year. I had never heard of Shook until I started seeing her latest album popping up everywhere on year end lists, so naturally I had to listen. I didnt know what to expect, but what I heard was one of the best sounds. I read a lot of places call her music traditional honky tonk music with a punk attitude/sound, but to me its part of the music culture that I call East Nashville music. Its that music that is country music, but it dabbles in everything else looking to make a new sound, and Sarah has found an amazing sound. Her song New Ways to Fail might have my favorite lyrics of the year. Singing about the moment a relationship is over "Cause I need this **** like I need another hole in my head, It was more the way the words came out than the things you said, Well I'm too damn tired to feed the dog or get out of bed, Too damn tired to walk away, Too tired to make it another day, Just gonna lie here and complain instead."(83/100)

New Ways to Fail  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDypx0_8eaY

Here is a good article about Kacey Musgraves, and her lack of play on country radio.

With Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves and her team purposely did not promote a radio single. Instead, they saved their nickels, spent their promotional budgets on big videos, and hatched a strategy that side stepped country airplay. Words like “misogyny” will be thrown around about how radio has dealt with Kacey Musgraves, but Musgraves is just as much at fault as anyone for the lack of Golden Hour radio play. Until now that is.

Hoping for a big 2019 Grammy Awards—which is exactly what Kacey Musgraves enjoyed—her label MCA Nashville has sent the song “Rainbow” to country radio, and with a push. This isn’t wishful thinking, like when the label sent the Musgraves songs “Butterflies” and “Space Cowboy” to radio stations when Golden Hour was first released in March of 2018 and said, “Here. Either play them, or don’t. We really don’t care.” This is a proper single release, bolstered by the Grammy success, a performance of “Rainbow” on the Grammy presentation, and even a brand new video released shortly after the Grammy Awards concluded (see below).

Will radio play it? That’s the million-dollar question. The song was already receiving some radio adds and spins ahead of the 2019 Grammys in anticipation of a big night for Kacey. Certainly more stations will at least consider it to celebrate Kacey’s big wins. One of the problems with country radio is it’s such an all-in game. If there’s no clear vision for a song going to #1, there’s almost no reason to play it at all. There are no more moderate successes on radio, which is one of the reasons women are evaporating from the format. But this is a flaw in the system. Even if “Rainbow” goes Top 20, it will be a success for radio, for Kacey Musgraves, and for country music. It may even do better with all the Grammy momentum. But the most important measure must be if it’s given a fair opportunity to find whatever success it has coming to it on the country radio format.

Kacey Musgraves and MCA Nashville are playing a little bit of chicken with radio here. They don’t need country radio. They just proved that with four Grammy Awards, not to mention the CMA for Album of the Year awarded back in November. Releasing “Rainbow” to radio is about something bigger. It’s a big test to see if radio will listen to the will of the people, and play a worthy song from a recognized artist, or continue to be the embarrassment of the genre, and the last bastion of resistance to songs of substance. The awards shows have come around, for the most part at least. So have touring numbers, and other important measures. It’s now time for radio to follow suit, and the success or failure of “Rainbow” could be a huge bellwether.

10.61lGmN7D9EL._SS500_.jpg

I met Ross a few years ago when he opened for some act that I cant remember in Nashville. He was really raw, but he could sing. A couple years later and he has released his newest full length album, and its his best yet. Ross is singing about what he knows, and that passion comes through in every song. Ross is a very talented writer. Not only for himself, but he has also written for some pretty big names in Texas, and the writing shines through on the song Strangers in a Bar. Its a brutally honest song about two people meeting in a bar and wanting someone to take home for the night. Its not a love song. Its a song about reality. Hopefully this album will continue to open doors for Ross, because country music needs more artists like him on the radio.(83/100)

Strangers in a Bar  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85nraQhFKWc

9.81Ew7EXMFZL._SS500_.jpg

Hebert Island is the third studio album from William Clark Green, and though it might not have the fun, catchy songs of his past albums, this is definitely his most grown up album. Green still amps up the fun on a few tracks, but the writing is just better. He's always shown his song writing abilites before, but not for a full album, and thats where Hebert Island really stands out. The album is a little too long, and there is some filler on the album, but its not enough to knock the album down too far. In fact, without the filler, this could have been a top five album this year.(83/100)

Poor  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwpuwUAl5gk

8.81WHWxuOtNL._SY355_.jpg

Smith is one of the most talented writers in Nashville. She has written songs for Garth Brooks, Lady Antebellum, Rascall Flatts, Kenny Rogers, and even a hit song for Meghan Trainor. Starfire is her debut album, and all I have to say is that this is how you make a country pop album. The music weaves between some traditional country, pop, and some adult contemporary, but what stands out is the fact that no matter what the sound is, it doesnt drown out her amazing voice. East Side Restaurant is easily the best song on the album, and its more of a Civil Wars type sound, but thats all it needs. Her voice carries the whole song. Another great song is her version of Tacoma, a song she wrote that was released by Garth on his Man against Machine album. This is how you do contemporary country music.(84/100)

East Side Restaurant  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Yb8IwuLvk

7.91UF209P2kL._SS500_.jpg

There probably isnt one artist that made more of an impact on me in 2018 than Shotgun Rider. Before this year, I never even heard of the Texas duo, granted they were still pretty new to the Texas scene. On Palo Duro, the duo comes out swinging and gives country music three of the absolute best singles of the year, and their hit Steady as She Goes was my number one favorite single of the year. I really like how the duo is able to mix their Texas Dirt sound with contemporary country, and even old school country. Each song is a story that is self contained that has its own feel. The songs never get old, and offer something different to the listener every time one of the songs is heard.(84/100)

Texas Rain  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1uIueOQ9M

6.71xeh9tMCNL._SY355_.jpg

Pistol Annies was a nice novel idea in 2011 when Miranda Lambert got together with two of her female artist friends to make a vocal group. Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley were pretty much no name artists at the time. Miranda knew something because in 2018, when the ladies got together again for their third album, both Monroe and Presley had become heavy hitters from their own solo projects. The ladies are better than ever in Interstate Gospel. I feel like this outlet lets the ladies let loose even more than they already do in their solo projects, and you get a honesty in a female prospective that country music hasnt seen since maybe the Dixie Chicks.(85/100)

Best Years of My Life  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPjPVjSBYyI

Edited by devils1854

5.51pL1BB8wDL._SY355_.jpg

Bri Bagwell is where she is today because she has been able to write and sing the songs that she wants, and because of that, we hear a woman being honest about life, love, and just trying to chase her dream of being a country artist. The honestly is what makes her so appealing to many, and is the reason that she is one of the few female artists to constantly record hits in the Texas country scene. In My Defense is no different. She opens up her heart on love, and wanting a relationship to end, on not settling down anytime soon, and on the last track of the album where she opens up about how hard it is to chase the dream of earning a living singing every night in small bars and honky tonks.(85/100)

Cheat On Me  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWelF9a6BYc

4.61nmVHsiSiL._SY355_.jpg

Just one year after releasing the amazing concept album Halloween, which was #2 on my year end list last year, Ruston Kelly is back with a brand new full length album called Dying Star. Kelly doesnt really consider himself as a country artist. He calls his genre Dirt Emo. To me, he is a mix of Outlaw Country and Dashboard Confessional. Country sounds(harmonica/steel guitar) mixed with lyrics that are complex and a lot darker than what you hear from country artists. Kelly has been battling with addiction(he admits he is an addict) for a while, and he lets loose on Dying Star. This album isnt for the faint at heart. It heavy. Its deep, and it can be down right depressing, but Kelly has so much talent. Side note: I saw him live for the first time last week and it was one of the best shows Ive ever seen. Besides his amazing voice, he played guitar, harmonica, and even the piano. Its almost breath taking seeing him perform.(86/100)

Blackout  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXggaT7-LtE

3.71J563z97yL._SX355_.jpg

Its been thirteen years since John Prine has released an album of new music, and Ill be honest, up until I started listening to this album, I had never really listened to the man that is known as one of the best song writers maybe ever. I honestly did not know what to expect. First I heard a voice that is not that great, but Prine had cancer in his neck about twenty years ago, and it severely changed his voice. The next thing I noticed was the simplistic, yet thought provoking songs. The music is almost child like in its sound, but he speaks about everyday life in a way that Ive never heard before. Its truly brilliance.(88/100)

Summer's End  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbEFTv9zr0&list=OLAK5uy_mYUVcJHLfobY-NDHtulgiqGaq_vkwc1z4&index=4

2.91EO+IioVmL._SS500_.jpg

This album is the least country album that Monroe has ever put out. Its very string heavy and somewhat psychedelic, but it works with Monroe's sultry voice, and she really radiates sexy on songs Wild Love and Hands on You. The songs are intense. I do wish there was a little diversity in the music. Its almost the same on every track, and can get a little tedious, but he amazing voice and writing talents propel this album to being one of the best of the year. Between this album, and the Pistol Annies one, Monroe is my artist of the year. The only bad thing is that no one will ever know or care how good she is because outside of music insiders, her peers, and people that dig past the slop in Nashville, she is unknown, and there isnt room for another woman in Nashville on the charts. They are at their quota.(89/100)

Wild Love  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlskLew-gCs

1.81l+EF1mY-L._SY355_.jpg

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, any other country/southern rock artists of the 70s based out of Georgia/Alabama. Thats what Brent Cobb throws at you with his latest album. Its sticky. Its sexy. Its Muscle Shoals. It gets in your soul and just makes you move. Cobb's voice just flows through the lyrics and hypnotizes you. Its so much fun and infectious. There's shallow country music that you listen to riding down a dirt road/drinking cold beer. There's that heavy sound that you listen to when you are sitting on the couch alone with some Jack Daniels in your cup. Providence Canyon does both, and does it perfectly. This is the album you can listen to at any point in your day, and in any mindset. Its that damn good.(94/100)

Mornin's Gonna Come  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IqCt19x2ZY

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...