Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

Another of my favorite duos are now no more. Shotgun Rider, who crushed it on the Texas charts last year, has decided to go their separate ways. We got one great album and a couple of good EPs in the past five years, but they decided to end it. Im devastated. They were just doing shows with Triston Marez as late as last weekend. No clue what happened, but man, it really sucks.

Here's one of my favorite songs of theirs that wasnt on their full length album from last year.

Lets get to something happier.

Jon Pardi's new single Heartache Medication.

From the start of the song, you hear a fiddle and then the steel comes right in before Jon sings a word. The song itself isnt that complex. Its a safe first single from the new record. Nothing we havent heard five hundred times, but with the the straight country sound and Jon's twang, its exactly what you need to hear in today's country music climate. One thing I did notice is that this song is much more Texas two step than his normal Bakersfield sound. The telecaster is almost non existent for most of the song. I love it. I love that he tries something different, even though it will be lost with the novice listener.  Definitelty a worthy first release for his new album.

It doesnt look like there is a new album coming, but Sturgill just dropped a new song. Its the theme song from the movie The Dead Dont Die, and its phenomenal. Its more High Top Mountain than A Sailor's Guide. Pure old school country.

Who knows what his next album will be. He has stated that he has tons of songs recorded, and he keeps recording when the nerve hits. He's said he wants to release a more rock type of album that sounds like what his concerts have been like the past year or so, but he just released this gem of classic country, and he also just did a set at the Opry that was 100% bluegrass.

Havent really looked at the country charts in a little while. I decided to take a look at the latest one, and here are 11 songs I like and 11 that I hate.

http://charts.bdsradio.com/bdsradiocharts/charts.aspx?formatid=4

1. Jon Pardi-Heartache Medication
  2. Scotty McCreery-In Between
  3. Jake Owen-Homemade
  4. Luke Combs-Beer Never Broke My Heart
  5. Morgan Wallen-Whiskey Glasses
  6. Eric Church-Some of It
  7. George Strait-Every Little Honky Tonk Bar
  8. Travis Denning-After a Few
  9. Cody Johnson-On My Way To You
  10. Hardy-Rednecker
  11. Jordan Davis-Slow Dance in A Parking Lot(if this had no snap track, it could be actually great)

1. Zac Brown Band-Someone I Used to Know
  2. Chris Jansen-Good Vibes
  3. Filmore-Slower
  4. Morgan Evans-Day Drunk
  5. Luke Bryan-Knockin Boots
  6. Dan + Shay-All To Myself
  7. Dustin Lynch-Ridin Roads
  8. LoCash-One Big Country Song
  9. Brett Young-Catch
  10. Chris Young-Raised on Country
  11. Thomas Rhett-Look What God Gave Her
  12. FGL-Talk You Out of It

There are 10 songs on the chart that Ive never listened to. I have no interest in listening to the likes of Lanco, King Callaway, Pink, Sheryl Crow, and I dont really want to listen to new artists at the moment.

Edit:I added another song I hate. I listened to the song by Filmore. God thats awful. I should have just left it alone.

Edit 2:The new songs by Kane Brown, Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, Brantley Gilbert, and Jimmie Allen arent actually bad. Im not saying they are nowhere close to good, but they are better than most of the crap that these artists put out.

Edited by devils1854

• 4 weeks later...

Half of the year is over, so here are some of my favorites so far this year(in no order).

Albums
Randy Houser-Magnolia
Charles Wesley Godwin-Seneca
Randy Rogers Band-Hellbent
Shane Smith & the Saints-Hail Mary
Flatland Cavalry-Homeland Insecurity
Aaron Watson-Red Bandana
Cody Johnson-Ain't Nothin' to It
George Strait-Honky Tonk Time Machine
Jade Jackson-Wilderness
Clay Walker-Long Live the Cowboy

EP's
Gone West-Tides
Triston Marez-That Was All Me
Maddie & Tae-One Heart To Another
Luke Combs-The Prequel
Fairground Saints-Magic

Singles
Triston Marez-Darlin'
William Michael Morgan-Talking to a Girl
Scotty McCreery-This Is It
Jon Pardi-Heartache Medication
Sturgill Simpson-The Dead Don't Die
Ingrid Andress-More Hearts Than Mine
Whiskey Myers-Die Rockin
Clay Walker-Change
Triston Marez-Where Rivers Are Red and Cowboy's Are Blue
Tyler Childers-All Your'n

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know Im a day late, but Im about to watch the CMA Awards. I like watching the next day so I can fast foward through the crappy parts.

Here we go....

I like the Dolly, Reba, Carrie opening. Lets keep it traditional. I love the Highwomen just for the fact that Amanda Shires's name gets into the mainstream. She's even more talented as her husband Jason Isbell.

Holy ****, Gretchen Wilson lost weight.

I grew up on this late 90s-early 00s county, and seeing these ladies from that era singing as the "older generation" kinda makes me feel old.

Excellent opening.

The single category is pretty blah. I think Gods Country is probably the best of the bunch and was the biggest....and he won. It was a weak group but at least the best of it won.

Fast forwarded past Dan + Shay. Aint nobody got time for that.

Song of the year...... I dunno. Kacey? Blake again? None are really song of the year quality. Luke Combs win. Meh, ok. It was huge.

I cant stop staring at Carrie's tan bare leg..............

Not even Chris Stapleton is going to get me to listen to Pink. Fast foward.

New artist....Love Cody Johnson. He is so good, but one "hit" in mainstream isnt enough for this award. Ashley McBryde? Glad she is nominated. Amazing artist. No real commercial success though. Would love for her to win though. Midland? Meh, but they have the hits. Probably front runners. Carly Pearce might be the front runner. Its girl power night and she is a pretty blonde with hits. I would love for Morgan Wallen to win. Has hits. Has a huge fan base, but I dont think he is going to be an awards type of guy......Ill say Carley Pearce, but Id love for McBryde or Wallen.....Wow. Ashley McBryde. This is awesome. Hopefully radio and her record company get her hits now.

I gave Old Dominion a chance. A snap track started at the chorus. Im done.

Did Carrie actually sing? I couldnt tell. Jesus.........

So does Luke Combs have one black PFG or seven? One for each day. Either way, Beer Never Broke My Heart is more of the single of the year. That was the summer jam.

How many commericals are there? Dang. Its like every 3 mins.

Is Kelsea Ballerini actually having hits these days? It seems like she came out strong, but after that first album, Maren Morris came on and became the new "it" blonde in Nashville, and Ballerini is an after thought. She's decently talented though.

Im not the biggest Little Big Town fan, but Girl Crush has to be in the discussion. These are some good and talented ladies singing. Maddie and Tae are getting f'd over by their record label. They will never be truly big. Fantastic performance.

Jimmie Allen is a good dude, even though I dont like how his record label is over R&B'ing him. Midland...meh again. Duo award? Dan + Shay right? Id say not give it out this year.....yep Dan and Shay.