Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

7 hours ago, showtime said:

I thought Bortles played well enough in the postseason to win.  When I watched the Patriots game, I never thought for one second, "Bortles just cost them the game."  The defense collapsing down the stretch is a much bigger reason the Jags lost to the Patriots, imo.  And I think that was mostly due to coaching and changing their game plan for whatever reason and playing zone defense in the fourth quarter.

In a way, he did. Because at the end of that game when it really mattered, they took the ball out of his hands. They didn't trust him to go out and win that game. You'll only get so far when you have a QB like that. I think it was silly for them not to at least attempt to upgrade with the defense and running game they have.

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

In defense of the Jaguars, they were EXTREMELY unlikely to land Cousins, and none of the other free agent QBs are necessarily NOTABLE upgrades over Bortles (maybe Bradford, but you cant trust him to stay healthy at all).

That being said, I think the Jags should perhaps attempt to draft a QB early, if for no other reason than to push Bortles the same way the Chargers did with Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers back in 2004.      I sure as hell wouldnt move forward with complete trust in Brotles.   You have to find a way to push him and have a backup plan.    The team around him is too good to just blindly trust him because he played well at times last year.

I feel like much  like what the Chargers did, if the team sees a franchise QB(in their eyes) they will take him just like SD did but odds are 1 won't be there at 29. I agree the odds of us landing Cousins were very small and we have yet to see what Cousins even gets on the market plus is anyone really an upgrade without there own questions? Bradford would be great if we could trust him to be healthy and Bridgewater is coming back from a scary injury too. Getting Brees would be awesome but he isn't leaving the Saints and I loathe McCarron. If Cousins gets like 35M a year then we absolutely had NO CHANCE. 

13 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Because they're arguably in the best position to chase a ring that they're going to be. They put themselves in a position where they could afford a big-money quarterback while still having the vast majority of their core locked up. All this is doing is kicking the QB can down the road, and by the time Bortles is out, you're no longer going to be able to afford a significant QB contract because that wealth of talent that needs extensions is coming due. Yes, Cousins might have cost you some of your talent three years down the line, but if he gives you a better chance at a SB (or even multiple SBs) in 2018-2020, isn't it worth it?

Is there another QB you expected us to get that isn't Cousins? I will admit if Cousins signs a deal for 28M or less per year then yea i might not be so happy we didnt dig deep into that but signing him to 30+ isn't going to do us any favors when it comes to locking down the guys that made us great this year. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

In a way, he did. Because at the end of that game when it really mattered, they took the ball out of his hands. They didn't trust him to go out and win that game. You'll only get so far when you have a QB like that. I think it was silly for them not to at least attempt to upgrade with the defense and running game they have.

I think the bigger issue was the play calling in the 2nd half. Bortles never ran the ball once which is something he did well vs Buffalo and Pittsburgh and they didnt give the ball to Grant once in the 2nd half after he had alot of success there too. I feel like even if we had Cousins they probably would have gone ultra conservative which is so freakin annoying

13 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, I mean, I get the thought process. If they weren't going to chase Cousins, I'd probably rather have Bortles over McCarron or Keenum (not that I'm in love with my options there). It's not a move that surprises me, just not exactly the one I would've made.

I definitely like him more than the other 2 you mentioned but you said you wouldnt have done this. What would you do, not even mad just curious? Trade up in the draft for a rookie QB and sign an old stop-gap? People keep talking about our window and how Blake is going to waste our defense but who is honestly out there at QB that he no questions that would be an immediate upgrade that isn't Brees or Cousins? Lamar Jackson isn't likely ready to step in early on and we won't trade up for a rookie QB and basically mortgage all draft capital to get someone and tbh i dont like much of the QBs this year anyways. There is just so much to speculate when the free agency period starts guys will be flying off the shelf and you might be left with nothing or reaching/starting a rookie that isn't ready either. 

13 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Does this deal necessarily take them out of the running for Cousins?  I think they would still be able to try and get Cousins and then deal Bortles for a late pick to clear cap space if they are able to get Cousins.  This Bortles extension just gives them an insurance policy if they can’t find an upgrade, but I think having Bortles on a multi year deal with outs makes makes him more moveable than if he were on just a 5th year option.

Thats an interesting thought for sure but that would take some serious voodoo. We'd have to secure Cousins but also someone willing to take Bortles for something. We have to get Cousins first but we could be left holding the bag with 2 QBs that cost us alot at the position

13 hours ago, jarren said:

Exactly this. 

You've pretty much canned your chance at winning a Superbowl for the next two years. Longer if you don't draft a QB who can develop into a starter. Considering where you guys will be drafting that will be tough to do.

Cousins + that defense for the next few years, then losing a defender or two after that is way more enticing than Bortles plus the defense as it is right now.

What? We were a quarter of football away from being there. Yes some teams get worse/better in the offseason with the draft and free agency but we didnt can our chances at the SB at all. Canning them would have been hoping a rookie takes us all the way or relying on Bradford to stay healthy for more than 10 games. We're not saying Bortles is some great QB but the defense is still there, the running game is there and if they stop babying Bortles our offense can be better. 

13 hours ago, Crickett said:

So, instead of being hamstrung by Blake Bortles for the 2018 season, the Jaguars have decided it is preferable to be hamstrung by Blake Bortles for the 2018 and 2019 season instead.  But don't worry, this will help them resign guys who won't be free agents until 2020 or 2021.  Because that makes any kind of sense. 

There is no overreaction.  This is a horrible move and why sports personalities are even attempting to defend this is beyond me.   You could have given this money to someone better.  Josh McCown, A.J. McCarron, Sam Bradford.  They're not great options, but they're certainly better than Blake Bortles. 

And no, Bortles is not slightly below average.  He's bottom six among starting QB's at best.  That's not "slightly below average".  Make up you list of your top 32 QB's.  Look at who you have at #20.  That's "slightly below average".  Now take a look at who you have at #30.  It might be Blake Bortles.  That's the bottom of the barrel. 

I'm sorry...what? What has McCarron shown you exactly? What has Bradford shown other than that he is great until he gets hurt. Its not a matter of if, its when?. And you are going to hang your hat on a 38 year old QB who has been bad his whole career? Again, not defending Blake, he is not a good QB right now but to say that these guys are certainly better is awful. Bradford won't even last until November, let alone the playoffs. McCarron might as well be a rookie so we're going to put someone with no experience in a new system and expect it not to hamstring us for a year or 2? 

13 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well it is... Jaguars had a chance to make them selfs a super bowl contender. The QB free agent class is the best I've seen in years. And the QB class is pretty good as well. There are 5 or 6 1st rounders. But this move just screams overpaying for mediocrity. Typical Marrone... He always settles.

The QB FA class looks pretty awful. Brees basically isn't a FA, Cousins is the only legitimate QB to be excited about. He is a clear upgrade over Bortles, i'm not fighting that and i dont think many of us will but everyone else has major injury concerns(Bradford/Bridgewater), unproven completely with not much to be excited about during the draft(McCarron) or is someone that his team lost faith in with Tyrod. And are we really thinking Josh McCown is going to do anything other than maybe retire?

13 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I'd take Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield over Bortles easily.

McCarron, Jackson, Allen and Rudolph is borderline.

If I was Jacksonville I would have been all over one of those Vikings QBs... Keenum should be a huge target.

I did forget Keenum. I will admit he was an interesting option given the success he had this year but you can't say you'd easily take the other 2 because their injured past or current status is too tough. Also there is no chance we can get Rosen or Darnold plus probably Mayfield too given they all likely go way higher than our 1st/2nd and next 1st or 2nd would cost

Archived