Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

10 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

only when people finally realize Coughlins the boss and coughlin lead teams only draft Senior QBs.  i looked up every qb he drafted/involved in the process with. they All were seniors. 

Si, Senor!  El Senor Coughlin es muy simpatico! Un hombre que sabe mucho!!!

Image result for si, Senor!

3 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well it is... Jaguars had a chance to make them selfs a super bowl contender. The QB free agent class is the best I've seen in years. And the QB class is pretty good as well. There are 5 or 6 1st rounders. But this move just screams overpaying for mediocrity. Typical Marrone... He always settles.

There is no upgrade outside of a 30M Cousins or picking top 5. Also, if anything, this deal shows the Jaguars are still looking/not committing to Blake. This is a 2 yr deal with an option. That's not committing.

Think this is so much more than Bortles with your rant, the late Marrone comment confirms it.

Just now, .Buzz said:

There is no upgrade outside of a 30M Cousins.

Think this is so much more than Bortles with your rant, the late Marrone have confirms it.

I'd take Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield over Bortles easily.

McCarron, Jackson, Allen and Rudolph is borderline.

If I was Jacksonville I would have been all over one of those Vikings QBs... Keenum should be a huge target.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

There is no upgrade outside of a 30M Cousins or picking top 5. Also, if anything, this deal shows the Jaguars are still looking/not committing to Blake. This is a 2 yr deal with an option. That's not committing.

Think this is so much more than Bortles with your rant, the late Marrone comment confirms it.

In 2 years your ability to improve the QB position via FA will be limited. So unless you hit on a QB this or next year you guys just severly hindered your superbowl chances. 

2 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I'd take Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield over Bortles easily.

If I was Jacksonville I would have been all over one of those Vikings QBs... Keenum should be a huge target.

Well you go ahead with that crazy notion that has no rhyme or reason but your personal opinion. The fact you think we're crazy for keeping Bortles and not going after Case freaking Keenum who has been in the league and was garbage for how many years up until a decent year this year is...interesting.

2 minutes ago, jarren said:

In 2 years your ability to improve the QB position via FA will be limited. So unless you hit on a QB this or next year you guys just severly hindered your superbowl chances. 

Won't be via FA. This screams taking someone in the draft and letting them sit/take over if Blake doesn't take another step. If he does take a step, you get him for a bargain rate. He's going to be the 20th or less as far as QB salaries go after FA/draft is done. 

4 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Cousins yes. A healthy Bradford, yes, but he's never going to be healthy. 

Can rule out Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Josh Allen because they are going to go way higher than the jags will pick. 

Rudolph is a bad prospect, so I"ll take Bortles. Keenum would probably succeed in this system to some extent, but I don't have enough faith in him to take him over Bortles outright, so I can understand either though process, same for Bridgewater due to injury concerns. McCarron is a completely unknown quantity and could very easily be worse than Bortles just as easily as he could be better, and he wouldn't be much, if any cheaper possibly. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Won't be via FA. This screams taking someone in the draft and letting them sit/take over if Blake doesn't take another step. If he does take a step, you get him for a bargain rate. He's going to be the 20th or less as far as QB salaries go after FA/draft is done. 

The chances of Bortles developing into an average QB and/or drafting a starting QB in the next two years is pretty low imo. I just dont see this working out. 

Much smarter to go after Cousins, solidify and significantly upgrade the QB position and make yourself favorites for the next couple years. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I would almost guarantee that third year is a lot of fluff. I would assume that this breaks down to essentially a 2 year deal, if even that. They could have easily done something like a 10 million dollar signing bonus, first full year guaranteed at say 10-12 million base, and that's probably pretty close to your entire guarantees. Then if he stinks, you cut him next off season with a small amount of dead money. 

At least that's what I'm hoping that they did. 

We always over react to initial numbers, when quite frankly, it means nothing until you know how everything is structured. Jimmy G's deal sounded super crazy, then you find out that they basically gave him about 8-10 million over what they would have given him on two straight franchise tags and then they can cut him almost for nothing (basically paying 10 million for long term security if he works). Have to see how it's structured before making any judgment. 

Bortles is going to be with them though for the foreseeable future as their starter. That isn't good. 

1 minute ago, jarren said:

The chances of Bortles developing into an average QB and/or drafting a starting QB in the next two years is pretty low imo. I just dont see this working out. 

Much smarter to go after Cousins, solidify and significantly upgrade the QB position and make yourself favorites for the next couple years. 

Bortles was relatively close to being an average/middle of the road QB this last year. I don't get how people are ranking him at the bottom if you watch him this last year. He was pretty solid most of the season and showed up in the playoffs. I already talked about his lack of weapons, which is vital for a game managers success (which is what Bortles is).

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Bortles is going to be with them though for the foreseeable future as their starter. That isn't good. 

What's his next contract look like? You definitely aren't making this assumption on this one.

48 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He doesn't suck though. He's a slightly below average QB who had a decent season this past year with a UDFA and 4th round pick as his top two options to throw to.

Get ARob back, give him a TE, and build up the overall talent around him like most NFL QBs need.

I'll need to see the detail on the contract but this is almost surely a move to open up space this year and move some of the cap hit to next offseason instead. Bortles get a few more million next year after being cut rather than getting $0, and he/his agent get to save face. There is almost 0% chance that this move was made to keep Bortles long term.

Archived