Jaguars Free Agents/Free Agency thread

.Buzz

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont think you get what i mean. Cutting Hurns now instead of next season is a waste if we dont use that money to extend those guys now because if we cut him next year we’d have him for a year and then have the money. 

we should have been able to trade him for something.

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

we should have been able to trade him for something.

Yeah, because I'm sure they didn't attempt to do that at any point. TC and Caldwell probably just thought they'd rather cut him for nothing than get something back.

stan.gif

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

seeing that tom and dave have a few screws loose up in their heads......

Yeah. Tom Coughlin, one of the best football minds ever in history and a future hall of famer, just doesn't have the smarts to ask teams if they have interest in trading for a player before releasing.

What was I thinking...

On 3/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, .Buzz said:

I mean, we haven't really released anyone in the past few days that hurts our chances contending. I like Hurns and Lewis but the releases make sense as hard as it hurts us as fans. 

There's still some solid FAs out there too so we'll have to wait and see if they are eyeing anyone else.

No.  Guys like Hurns and Marcedes individually don't have a particularly large negative impact on our ability to contend this year.  But they are both still decent players, who are better than nothing.

It's the cap space collecting dust that hurts our chances of contending this year vs what that money hypothetically could be spent on, in terms of playmakers or weapons that improve our chances by making our team better and/or deeper for this season.

Drawing hard lines in the sand on how much they're willing to pay certain guys, and simultaneously having all this spare cap space with the presumed intention of rolling it over for the future...it feels like they're going hard after a perennial contender model where they can take their time, with no pressure to win it all this year or next.  A model that i'm not convinced can work without a true franchise QB.  We see the contenders built around an "elite defense and running the ball" rise and fall all the time.  It's not as sustainable as having an elite quarterback and constantly retooling around them.  $22M+ in cap space burning a hole in their pockets, slated for rollover to the future...it just feels like a lack of urgency to contend.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:07 PM, Tugboat said:

No.  Guys like Hurns and Marcedes individually don't have a particularly large negative impact on our ability to contend this year.  But they are both still decent players, who are better than nothing.

It's the cap space collecting dust that hurts our chances of contending this year vs what that money hypothetically could be spent on, in terms of playmakers or weapons that improve our chances by making our team better and/or deeper for this season.

Drawing hard lines in the sand on how much they're willing to pay certain guys, and simultaneously having all this spare cap space with the presumed intention of rolling it over for the future...it feels like they're going hard after a perennial contender model where they can take their time, with no pressure to win it all this year or next.  A model that i'm not convinced can work without a true franchise QB.  We see the contenders built around an "elite defense and running the ball" rise and fall all the time.  It's not as sustainable as having an elite quarterback and constantly retooling around them.  $22M+ in cap space burning a hole in their pockets, slated for rollover to the future...it just feels like a lack of urgency to contend.

I'm not sure I buy the no urgency. The 22M was only there thanks to restructuring of Telvin (6), release of Hurns (7), and Lewis (4). Without those three moves, we'd be right up the cap.

Keep in mind Norwells cap goes WAY up next season, and Dante option (if we pick it up) of 15M kicks in. Not to mention extensions.

We'll need the rollover.

I also don't think that this team doesn't take a QB who can potentially take over for Blake in the draft. Keep in mind we still have no backup. And the easiest way to trim 16M from our cap in coming seasons is to have a rookie QB take over after we let go of Blake.

32 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I also don't think that this team doesn't take a QB who can potentially take over for Blake in the draft. Keep in mind we still have no backup. And the easiest way to trim 16M from our cap in coming seasons is to have a rookie QB take over after we let go of Blake.

I understand that but you're walking right into a QB controversy too if we go there unneccesarily. Can't reach for 1 for the sake of saving 16M. If Bortles improves he is well-worth his contract. 

36 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I'm not sure I buy the no urgency. The 22M was only there thanks to restructuring of Telvin (6), release of Hurns (7), and Lewis (4). Without those three moves, we'd be right up the cap.

Keep in mind Norwells cap goes WAY up next season, and Dante option (if we pick it up) of 15M kicks in. Not to mention extensions.

We'll need the rollover.

Yea our cap situation looks a little rough next year but there will be some guys that we restructure or flat out let go. I feel like this year is our time to make a push. I'd rather spend our first 2 picks on guys who will help us now. Its not like we're picking in a great QB spot anyways. If Bortles regresses we are likely picking in a better spot anyways for a QB

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I understand that but you're walking right into a QB controversy too if we go there unneccesarily. Can't reach for 1 for the sake of saving 16M. If Bortles improves he is well-worth his contract. 

I wouldnt necessary reach for one, but 29 is a possible good spot for Lamar or Mason, both of which would work in our offense if the coaches put them in right spots (Lamar as a running threat to keep one defender off Fournette, Mason as a deep ball thrower to back the defense off with speed at receiver).

I don't think it's a coincidence that the team has looked at those two guys and the others have been late round type selections.

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea our cap situation looks a little rough next year but there will be some guys that we restructure or flat out let go. I feel like this year is our time to make a push. I'd rather spend our first 2 picks on guys who will help us now. Its not like we're picking in a great QB spot anyways. If Bortles regresses we are likely picking in a better spot anyways for a QB

I'm not really sure about this. I think Last year was our year, which pisses me off to no end that our coaches lost their cajones vs New England.

Tenn got some good moves in FA, and I expect Houston to be healthier.

Even last season, we didn't run sway with this division.

And unlike last season where the NFC didn't have a true top team, Philly, Minn,Rams, and saints all have loaded up this season.

I don't want to say the window shut, but it's closing quickly and I don't think our odds of winning it all is good.

This isn't the NBA.

We dont need to be the best team...we just need to be the hot team when the playoff comes around.

And that's why I'm fine with a more long-term look at replenishing this roster starting with an eventual franchise QB, and young defensive players to replace our aging ones

14 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I wouldnt necessary reach for one, but 29 is a possible good spot for Lamar or Mason, both of which would work in our offense if the coaches put them in right spots (Lamar as a running threat to keep one defender off Fournette, Mason as a deep ball thrower to back the defense off with speed at receiver).

I don't think it's a coincidence that the team has looked at those two guys and the others have been late round type selections.

Of course they are looking at them but they look at everyone. I bet they have scouted Sam Darnold too not that he would fall anywhere close to 10 let alone 29. 

Archived