Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Big difference is the heavy emphasis in the run game with Zeke behind him. While Dak had a lot of ups and downs this year, there were a lot of factors plaguing the offense. You keeo bringinf up stats, but you never bring up the context in which those stats are derived.

Daks offense has relied heavily upon the run game, lowering his passing yards per game

Dez was never a big window creating route runner. That is tough on a young passer whos accuracy is not that of an all time great pocket type.

Wittens windows are even smaller.

Williams even smaller still

Couple that with a huge jump in pressure in part due to Tyrons health, the struggles of the LG and the switch of Collins to RT.

We have seen Dak play exceptionally well when the conditions have afforded him.a chance to actually throw the ball. His rookie year was fantastic and you were drooling over him every week. He is still that player. We saw that with his miracle work a few times this year when he was able to play while on his feet instead of on his rearend. Theres a lot that goes into playing QB, and a lot of the factors that usually help anyoung passer were working against Dak this year.

Bryant needs to get open. Period. He was never a big window guy, and thats tough, and while I dont think Dez has lost a step enough for it to be this big of an issue, he needs to help his QB out and get bigger windows. Dak can help Dez by trusting in him despite those small windows, but that goes against all you are taught as a QB.

Both have some blame. Both have issues. Both had things work against them. But neither are "done" and you will see that this year.

He was 16th in the league in passing attempts.  Everyone has this fairy tale in their head that we are power I, line up pile up 1990s team. We aren't

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

He was 16th in the league in passing attempts.  Everyone has this fairy tale in their head that we are power I, line up pile up 1990s team. We aren't

That’s cause no one is. We run far more 12/21/22 personnel and tight formations than almost anyone else. You just keep holding onto your extremely misleading stat like we weren’t third in rush attempts in the NFL and first into the NFC though

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

That’s cause no one is. We run far more 12/21/22 personnel and tight formations than almost anyone else. You just keep holding onto your extremely misleading stat like we weren’t third in rush attempts in the NFL and first into the NFC though

It's not misleading. It's straight forward. Dak was 16th in passing attempts. Whether he had 2 tightends or 20. Our system isn't "designed" for Dak to be limited to 207.8 freakin yards per game. Our system isn't designed for him to be really slow diagnosing the field, the system isn't designed for him to have sometimes GLARING accuracy issues or designed for streaky play.  

He had OL trouble, he missed Zeke, Dez regressed, but to think Dak is blameless because we ran a lot is stupid. The only way that would be possible is if the running plays were so great that Dak didn't get any passing attempts. But that's not true because he finished 16th.

35 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

No, we are a singleback ace finesse you off the line with a good jump, outstanding technique and perfection in execution of the blocking scheme.

16th in the league is middle of the pack, not top nor bottom - as in a fairly well balanced diet.

But also, everyone has this notion in their head that we would prefer to throw as often as wd did. We dont. We were forced to.when playing from behind in 10 of 16 games, having to play catch up often. And when you add in the skewed pass attempts of blowout losses like Arizona and the teams dominating the LOS forcing throws like vs Denver, it certainly pushes the team further up the "pass attempts" statline.

Stop relying so much on stats, again, they tell only a small part of the story. The context is far more important, its the prologue, the epilogue, and the middle chapters. You can't just read the back cover and claim you read the book.

Just now, DaBoys said:

It's not misleading. It's straight forward. Dak was 16th in passing attempts. Whether he had 2 tightends or 20. Our system isn't "designed" for Dak to be limited to 207.8 freakin yards per game. Our system isn't designed for him to be really slow diagnosing the field, the system isn't designed for him to have sometimes GLARING accuracy issues or designed for streaky play.  

He had OL trouble, he missed Zeke, Dez regressed, but to think Dak is blameless because we ran a lot is stupid. The only way that would be possible is if the running plays were so great that Dak didn't get any passing attempts. But that's not true because he finished 16th.

Yes, Dak Prescott finished 16th amongst starting quarterbacks in pass attempts. You’re absolutely right about that. Yet somehow the Dallas Cowboys finished 29th in NFL teams in pass attempts. How can this be?

Well it might have to do with the fact that Dak Prescott started all 16 games for his football team in 2017- one of 12 quarterbacks to do that. I would infer from these stats that Dallas received above average health from the below average (in terms of frequency) passer- not that their coach called less running plays than half the league, when we ran the ball less than exactly two teams.

At any rate I say all this to emphasize that our R-P ratio is a silly thing to harp on. It’s hovered right around 50-50 while our year-to-year output has varied wildly. Perhaps it’s other factors that have led to those swings.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

Yes, Dak Prescott finished 16th amongst starting quarterbacks in pass attempts. You’re absolutely right about that. Yet somehow the Dallas Cowboys finished 29th in NFL teams in pass attempts. How can this be?

Well it might have to do with the fact that Dak Prescott started all 16 games for his football team in 2017- one of 12 quarterbacks to do that. I would infer from these stats that Dallas received above average health from the below average (in terms of frequency) passer- not that their coach called less running plays than half the league, when we ran the ball less than exactly two teams.

At any rate I say all this to emphasize that our R-P ratio is a silly thing to harp on. It’s hovered right around 50-50 while our year-to-year output has varied wildly. Perhaps it’s other factors that have led to those swings.

I wasn't harping on our R/P ratio. I was harping on Dak

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Dak was able only able to poop out 181 yards on 34 attempts with the season on the line against Seattle cause Zeke got 24 carries. Makes sense to me.

Again. Youre ignoring the context. 

1. That Seattle D even missing the cogs it was missing is a tough unit to play against;

2. Majority of those 34 throws were behind the first down marker in an extension of the run game, as they should be, considering the safetys Seattle has and the coverage scheme they play (cover 3 and robber cloud);

3. The receivers, all year long, left overly tight windows and rarely broke for any yards after catch, even 3 or 4 more would have helped tremendously

You keep expecting these stats to proove a story...but the context of those stats means far more. Im not excusing bad throws and bad routes and poor play, but the other team also takes the field here, and it is not like Dak and Dez had a full deck most of the year. 

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Again. Youre ignoring the context. 

1. That Seattle D even missing the cogs it was missing is a tough unit to play against;

2. Majority of those 34 throws were behind the first down marker in an extension of the run game, as they should be, considering the safetys Seattle has and the coverage scheme they play (cover 3 and robber cloud);

3. The receivers, all year long, left overly tight windows and rarely broke for any yards after catch, even 3 or 4 more would have helped tremendously

You keep expecting these stats to proove a story...but the context of those stats means far more. Im not excusing bad throws and bad routes and poor play, but the other team also takes the field here, and it is not like Dak and Dez had a full deck most of the year. 

My problem is that the TEAM seems to feel the blame was more WRs than QB when I thought it was pretty obvious both had warts 

And all this is because someone posted that a cowboys staffer said Dez does very little right at this point in his career, which is B.S. I understand playing QB is more complex but it's more accurate to say that Dak is doing very little right at this point in his career.

Both of them play well at times, but you'd think that was ALL the times for Dak and never for Dez if you listen to the team talk about it

Archived