2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Haha, thank you. I think Allen is a great prospect, but to come out of today and just say that magically the accuracy issues are a myth because he did well to me seems like the classic combine overreaction. I guess his 56% passing was 100% drops at the college level. 

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Haha, thank you. I think Allen is a great prospect, but to come out of today and just say that magically the accuracy issues are a myth because he did well to me seems like the classic combine overreaction. I guess his 56% passing was 100% drops at the college level. 

I love his physical skills, but imo we learned nothing today we didn’t already know, same with Barkley. Josh Allen had this absurd skill set 5 months ago when he looked average as hell actually playing football.

Folks whose jeans are getting tight because he uncorked a few passes in shorts and a T shirt are 100% victims of the moment.

45 minutes ago, VanS said:

J'Mon Moore and Cedrick Wilson impressed me.  I know Moore ran a slow 40 but I think that fool's gold.  He jumped really well showing himself to be an explosive athlete.  He's also silky smooth as a route runner.  I might be crazy for thinking this but his game looks a lot like former Saints pro-bowl WR Joe Horn.  I'll have to watch more tape to see if that comp holds.

J'Mon Moore looked a lot like DeVante Parker when I watched his film (I mean that in a good way). I was kind of surprised he only ran a 4.60, I figured he would consistently be around 4.50 with a chance to get to 4.45 on a good run. He looks faster than 4.60 on the field. I assume he'll improve the time at his pro day and skip the rest of the tests since he crushed every other one. 

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Worth noting that Baker Mayfield's testing so far puts him alongside Rosen/Darnold and behind Allen in physical skills (and presumably Lamar).

Obviously there's way more to QB evaluation but the notion that Mayfield is more elusive / athletic than the more classic pocket passers doesn't hold up.   Doesn't mean he can't succeed, but removing this perception would seem to drop him 4th tools wise - and while guys who don't fit the mold get unfairly dinged, when it comes to draft stock, it's hard to deny this won't factor in.

Barring injury/off-the-field issues, I'd guess we see Mayfield go as the #4 QB, in the 1.6-1.12 range.

Agreed.  With Baker Mayfield you're basically hoping he's an exception.  He's an undersized QB with mediocre athleticism that comes from an air raid system where they used almost zero pro-concepts.  He's no Russell Wilson.  He's not Drew Brees either.

Honestly, the only reason I'm not calling him a surefire bust in the NFL is because of his crazy intangibles in terms of overcoming odds.  He just might be one of those special guys where nothing in the film says they should be good but are great nonetheless.

There's nothing I saw on film that tells me Baker Mayfield will be a great NFL QB, but then again I would hate to bet against him.

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So dumb to make statements like this.

If he runs a 4.52 and jumps 38”, half the conversation is how you failed to do what you said you would despite putting on an impressive display.

No need to tell anyone what you’re gonna do, just show ‘em.

Josh Sweat was at one point the #1 recruit in the class of 2015 and getting Jadeveon Clowney comparisons after he ran 4.46 as a high school junior at the Nike Opening in 2014.  http://www.maxpreps.com/news/gvyPpOddF0OpB9RS9tHxpw/defensive-end-josh-sweat-runs-446-40-yard-dash-at-the-opening.htm

His confidence might not be as misplaced as you think.

I'll be shocked if he runs sub-4.5 at the combine.  But I like the confidence.  I don't think its dumb at all.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Mayfield is more elusive than his peers. It's pretty easy to see on tape.

I don't know if its as obvious as you make it out to be.  Darnold and Allen looked just as if not more athletic on tape than Mayfield and they both showed just as much elusiveness in the pocket .  Baker is kind of a stiff athlete IMO.  He doesn't move as fluidly as Darnold and Allen.  He's not a statue like Rosen but I woudn't say he's clearly more elusive than Darnold or Allen.

1 minute ago, VanS said:

Josh Sweat was at one point the #1 recruit in the class of 2015 and getting Jadeveon Clowney comparisons after he ran 4.46 as a high school junior at the Nike Opening in 2014.  http://www.maxpreps.com/news/gvyPpOddF0OpB9RS9tHxpw/defensive-end-josh-sweat-runs-446-40-yard-dash-at-the-opening.htm

His confidence might not be as misplaced as you think.

I'll be shocked if he runs sub-4.5 at the combine.  But I like the confidence.  I don't think its dumb at all.

I’m not doubting his ability or knocking his confidence, I’m saying it’s never wise to set expectations like that.

If he can do those things, great, just go do them. But how many people have we heard talk about how they’re going to run a 4.3 or whatever and then don’t.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Kamara, agreed, his main trait no one saw coming is his insane balance.   Which as you said, the Combine doesn't evaluate.    Maybe that's the case that whatever the reason, it translates to the NFL with Mayfield, even if it's not measurable.   But it's also possible that it doesn't, given the bump in competition that he'll face.   I expect without something more tangible to hang their hats on, the GM's will rank him the same way accordingly.

Actually that was a very obvious trait if you watched film on him.  I mentioned it several times last year while arguing with people as to why he was my #1 rated RB in the class of 2017.  Basically any tape you put him of Kamara showed his insane balance as well as elite burst.  What happened in the NFL is he simply got paired with a coach who finally utilized his talents and an offensive line that could block.  In college, he ran behind arguably the worst offensive line in the Power 5.  Hence the reason his YPC in the NFL are actually higher than his YPC in college.  Something that almost never happens.

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

I don't know if its as obvious as you make it out to be.  Darnold and Allen looked just as if not more athletic on tape than Mayfield and they both showed just as much elusiveness in the pocket .  Baker is kind of a stiff athlete IMO.  He doesn't move as fluidly as Darnold and Allen.  He's not a statue like Rosen but I woudn't say he's clearly more elusive than Darnold or Allen.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Clemson's Ray-Ray McCloud WR looked like he had incredible natural hands during the workouts, anyone high on him?

He definitely jumped off the screen to me.  I wasn't high on him coming into the combine.  Didn't think he could play in the NFL.  After the combine, he looks like a nice slot receiver who can contribute on special teams in the NFL.  Very surprising performance.

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

He definitely jumped off the screen to me.  I wasn't high on him coming into the combine.  Didn't think he could play in the NFL.  After the combine, he looks like a nice slot receiver who can contribute on special teams in the NFL.  Very surprising performance.

He's young too, turned 21 in October. I'm shuffling him into the sleeper category. 

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

Wasn't Allen all over the place it the Senior Bowl practices? Specifically the accuracy drills if I remembered correctly. There's that video of him missing not only the target on the net, but missing the net entirely at one point. 

This seems to be par for the course with you, which I enjoy, but it seems like you're taking it too far. He's shown he's a good enough athlete to get out of the pocket and make plays. Same with Mayfield who ran a 4.8 and had a poor vertical. They've both shown in game they've got more than enough to get out of harms way. 

I'm talking about the game.  They didn't show everything during the practices.  During the senior bowl GAME Josh Allen threw the ball with very good accuracy.

With regard to Sam Darnold, I just had higher expectations for him.  I expected him to test athletically the way Josh Allen tested.  The fact he put up worse athletic numbers than Jared Goff is concerning.

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

Wasn't Allen all over the place it the Senior Bowl practices? Specifically the accuracy drills if I remembered correctly. There's that video of him missing not only the target on the net, but missing the net entirely at one point. 

In fairness to Allen, that was largely the first couple of days. He got better as the week progressed (coaching hopefully). He was locked in the last couple of days if I remember right

Archived