compensatorys next year

LoganF89

so a lot of talk has been going around about us securing a 3rd rounder for losing cousins next year but we have other players who can net us picks too, in fact if we end up not signing a lot of our key FAs it could be one of the biggest years we have ever had for compensatory picks. there isnt really a FA in this years class that im dying to have outside of leveon which will never happen but what values and picks do you think we would get for the other players if we dont resign them?

cousins 3rd- hes going to get paid and going to be a starter and put up numbers

brown 3rd- a team could finally give him what he wants and if he plays how he did for us it could net us a 3rd

breeland 3rd- another guy who could be out priced for us to resign, he could get a big deal due to his age and talent, i could see the 49ers giving him a deal

Long 4th- sounds like a long shot but FA is thin with centers and guards so someone could get desperate and give him big money and hes proved hes a starter in this league

gallete late round- my gut feeling is he signs somewhere for decent money and ends up a 10 sack guy starting healthy

murphy late round- another guy who can  bolster a pass rush, wont get too much money but i think will produce as long as he doesnt get suspended

pryor 4th-if hes in cleveland and does what he did when they had him he could net us something

what do you guys think the value of our FAs will be compensatory wise if we dont sign a big name guy? if we end up losing them all i really rather not sign a big name unless its poe, those picks will be vital to us next year if we end up needing to rebuild

Well.. you're definitely onto something with that top 3. They should all get significant deals that could net Washington 3rd or 4th rd picks. There's a lot that goes into comp picks, IIRC.... games played/started being one.. and of course the contract size. 

Really, I dunno.. I don't worry much about stuff like this. I look at comp picks as extra gravy on top. Great if there, but just give me my meal of mashed potato and gravy as is and leave me be! :P If it has extra gravy, great. If not, meh whatever. Focus on each year... add whichever FAs you think will instantly help the team, and don't fret about this. 

( that's my outlook anyway.. not telling you how you need to be )

4 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Well.. you're definitely onto something with that top 3. They should all get significant deals that could net Washington 3rd or 4th rd picks. There's a lot that goes into comp picks, IIRC.... games played/started being one.. and of course the contract size. 

Really, I dunno.. I don't worry much about stuff like this. I look at comp picks as extra gravy on top. Great if there, but just give me my meal of mashed potato and gravy as is and leave me be! :P If it has extra gravy, great. If not, meh whatever. Focus on each year... add whichever FAs you think will instantly help the team, and don't fret about this. 

( that's my outlook anyway.. not telling you how you need to be )

i agree with your opinion, howeverare there really any top paid guys in FA your interested in that we have a shot at? I honestly think Poe is the only one, and with him probably only playing a small percentage of snaps, will he cause us to lose out on a pick due to his contract?

Just now, LoganF89 said:

i agree with your opinion, howeverare there really any top paid guys in FA your interested in that we have a shot at? I honestly think Poe is the only one, and with him probably only playing a small percentage of snaps, will he cause us to lose out on a pick due to his contract?

I can't really sit here at this time and say that I'm just dying to see Washington snag this particular guy or that particular guy. 

I would like to see them make their draft more simplified by adding ONE big FA target to the roster. Maybe that one target is a Redskin FA like Zach Brown... but the contract size matters.

Adding a vet NT like Poe would please me, since it solves a concern at NT. Adding an ILB like Bowman or especially Bradham could easily cushion the blow of Brown walking out the door. 

I'm not loving the potential vet WRs when considering their likely cost versus contribution. 

If a guy like T.Y. Hilton was free, I'd probably stumble over self to want him signed... because he's a complete type of weapon... adept in short area separation and YAC... and also a deep threat. 

So I dunno. I just sit back, hope they do stuff that makes me happy.. but pretty much stay as passive. Not like me overthinking it makes a difference to what they do. 

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Poe and Allen Robinson.

The formula for comp picks is based off of the money of guys we lost (their new deals with their new team) and the money we pay for new free agents.  Playing time doesn’t matter.

in order to assure that we land the comps picks you propose we would have to sit out of free agency.  Would that be a bad thing?  Probably not.

Two things to remember:

1. When we say a "3rd" or a "4th" compensatory pick, it's at the end of the round. So, in essence, a 3rd round compensatory pick should really be considered a 4th.
  2. As MK said, it comes down to comparable contracts. If the Redskins want to maximize what they get in 2019, they'd have to be very judicious and patient now. As MK also said, Moron is trying to save his job and thus will likely go wild.

It also bears reminding that while “3rd round compensatory pick” sounds pretty valuable — they’ve been remarkably unsuccessful picks over the years. Since 2009, these are the players taken with 3rd round comp picks:

LB Tyrone McKenzie

TE Chase Coffman

TE Travis Beckum

WR Juaquin Iglesias

CB Brendon Ghee

LB Rennie Curran

G Mike Johnson

DT Sione Fua 

DE Sam Montgomery 

RB Knile Davis

LB Zaviar Gooden

RB Dri Archer

TE Richard Rodgers

TE Crockett Gillmore

G Brandon Thomas

DE Geneo Grissom

CB Steven Nelson

LB Paul Dawson

C Graham Glasgow

DT Vincent Valentine

OT Rees Odhiambo

S Justin Simmons

CB Cordrea Tankersley

TE Jonnu Smith

WR Chad Williams

CB Rasul Douglas

CB Brendan Langley

DT Nazair Jones

LB Trey Hendrickson

QB C.J. Beathard

RB James Conner 

WR Amara Darboh

LB Kendall Beckwith

Obviously in large part it’s just a weird statistical fluke that NONE of them have been better than a part-time starter at TE like Richard Rodgers. But it is worth remembering that protecting the comp pick is nothing to build your offseason around. Keep it in mind, don’t just waste it for no reason, but you shouldn’t change your whole approach just to try to preserve it.

20 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It also bears reminding that while “3rd round compensatory pick” sounds pretty valuable — they’ve been remarkably unsuccessful picks over the years. Since 2009, these are the players taken with 3rd round comp picks:

LB Tyrone McKenzie

TE Chase Coffman

TE Travis Beckum

WR Juaquin Iglesias

CB Brendon Ghee

LB Rennie Curran

G Mike Johnson

DT Sione Fua 

DE Sam Montgomery 

RB Knile Davis

LB Zaviar Gooden

RB Dri Archer

TE Richard Rodgers

TE Crockett Gillmore

G Brandon Thomas

DE Geneo Grissom

CB Steven Nelson

LB Paul Dawson

C Graham Glasgow

DT Vincent Valentine

OT Rees Odhiambo

S Justin Simmons

CB Cordrea Tankersley

TE Jonnu Smith

WR Chad Williams

CB Rasul Douglas

CB Brendan Langley

DT Nazair Jones

LB Trey Hendrickson

QB C.J. Beathard

RB James Conner 

WR Amara Darboh

LB Kendall Beckwith

Obviously in large part it’s just a weird statistical fluke that NONE of them have been better than a part-time starter at TE like Richard Rodgers. But it is worth remembering that protecting the comp pick is nothing to build your offseason around. Keep it in mind, don’t just waste it for no reason, but you shouldn’t change your whole approach just to try to preserve it.

One big change is that comp picks are tradeable now.

Archived