The "For the Love of God Get Trubisky Help" Mock

Sugashane

As always this is my off-season, not what I believe Pace will do.

Here is our coaching staff moving forward.

Head Coach

Head Coach – Matt Nagy

Offensive Coaches

Offensive Coordinator – Mark Helfrich

Senior Offensive Consultant - Brad Childress

Quarterbacks Coach – Dave Ragone

Running Backs – Charles London

Wide Receivers – Mike Furrey

Tight Ends – Kevin M. Gilbride

Offensive Line – Harry Hiestand

Assistant Offensive Line – Donovan Raiola

Offensive Quality Control – Brian Ginn

Offensive Quality Control - Mike Snyder

Offensive Assistant – Shane Toub <----- Awesome name.

Defensive Coaches

Defensive Coordinator – Vic Fangio

Defensive Line – Jay Rodgers

Inside Linebackers – Glenn Pires

Outside Linebackers – Brandon Staley

Defensive Backs – Ed Donatell

Assistant Defensive Backs – Roy Anderson

Defensive Quality Control – Bill Shuey

Defensive Quality Control – Sean Desai

Special Teams Coaches

Special Teams Coordinator – Chris Tabor

Assistant Special Teams – Brock Olivo

Strength and Conditioning

Strength and Conditioning – Jason Loscalzo

Assistant Strength and Conditioning – Pierre Ngo

Head Athletic Trainer – Andre Tucker

I love that we are focused on developing Mitchell Trubisky, that will be the key to Pace and Nagy having a long tenure, and for Helfrich and Ragone to get their names into discussions for higher positions moving forward. Some of the other signings like Hiestand and Gilbride are highly respected position coaches who have a bit of history for developing young players. Defensively we retained Vic Fangio, Ed Donatell, and added some more intriguing coaches as well. Tabor should be an upgrade over Rodgers as well. 

As of 03/05/18 our cap space is $80.33 mil

Cuts

WR – Wheaton  (Saves $5 mil)

The only way I want him here is on a price cut, I don’t think he can stay healthy. With White already filling that role, he is expendable IMO.

CB – Cooper (Saves $3 mil)

He sucks, Callahan needs to get a chance to see if he can own the NB role, Cooper makes some great plays but allows far too many big plays to allow him on the field.

TE – Sims (Saves $4.67 mil)

Some will say he can be a good number 2, I am not one of them. He was a mediocre run blocker and a poor receiver. I’d rather roll with Brown as the number 2, but prefer an upgrade here.

FB – Burton (saves $705K)

I love having a fullback, but only if they don’t suck. Burton has been a massive disappointment.

Total cap is now $93.75 mil

Re-signings

CB – Kyle Fuller – 5 years, $57 million, $27 mil guaranteed (13/10/10/10/14 structure)

He was fantastic last season, and we need to lock up the young talent we have. Right now we have 3 long term pieces in the defensive backfield in Fuller, Jackson, and Amos that can be squared away and hold down the defensive backfield for the next 6 years with ease. We cut away a ton of dead weight, but we can’t let talent walk away freely. If he refuses to sign, I franchise him and tell him he can negotiate but we will not accept anything under a 2nd. I’m not watching another Alshon situation. As I said before, you can scheme WRs open to a degree, but you can’t scheme a CB to stand toe to toe with both AJ Green and Josh Gordon. You get those players, you keep them. Simple.

*** Contract is set up to take advantage of the cap space and make his deal more cap-friendly going forward

CB – Prince Amukamara – 3 years, $21 million, $10 mil guaranteed

Prince finally gets a long-ish term deal. He played well and he and Fuller pair well together. Prince is the press corner, Fuller the off-man. They did well in that role with a neutered offense and a lack of passrushers, let’s see them do it with some new pieces and a competent offense. This allows us time to develop a CB to take over for Prince when he wears down.

WR – Kendall Wright – 2 years, $7 million, $4 million guaranteed

He isn’t a 1 or 2 but was the best we had last year. In all fairness, he did well considering the situation Loggains helped put the offense in with his predictable playcalling and constantly being in 3rd and long. Wright allows us to have some continuity after all the change going on around the offense.

QB – Mark Sanchez – 2 years, $4 million, $2 mil guaranteed

I don’t want him on the field. I want him on the sidelines. He seemed to have a great rapport with Trubisky, and I love the experience he has to offer. To be honest, I would like him to “intern” himself as a QB coach. Helfrich is a 2-3 year rental at best IMO, I think once Trubisky progresses he will get a call as a HC, likely in college again but still. I can’t begrudge him for that either, but if he does I will likely want Ragone to step up, and we have a QB coach position open. If Sanchez is in the system for 2 years then he retires, he can step in and keep that rapport going with Tru. From what I have read, teammates seem to love him even if he isn’t the most talent QB. Plus it is cool knowing in one postseason your back up QB beat Peyton in Indy and then Brady in NE.

ILB- Jones – 3 years, $7.5 million, $3 mil guaranteed

I’m not a fan of his really, but he is fair depth and young. Add in he can attack the run fairly well and has an occasional pass rush of note, and you could do much worse. But unless it is a tattoo or he is playing with stickers though, no green dot for him… ever. 

P – O’Donnell – 4 years, $10 million, $3.4 mil guaranteed

This is his match of Jon Ryan’s deal, tying him for 10th highest paid in the NFL. We get to ignore the position for two years and then bring in undrafteds to see if one can beat him out. He made progress as he was not only kicking rugby-style and being allowed to boot it, and it is worth seeing what Tabor can do with him and improved coverage.

OLB – Houston – 2 years, $4 million, $2 mil guaranteed

Houston was a signing that was poorly done by Emery in a kneejerk reaction to Bennett signing with SEA. But after a few terrible years he came back and did pretty well last season in rotation. With McPhee, Young, and Houston being gone we would have some serious need. Houston isn’t a starter, but may be able to rotate in on the line for nickel to spell Goldman and rotate in at OLB as well.

DL – Unrein - 2 years, $4 million, $2.5 mil guaranteed

Nothing flashy with him at all, but he is a lunch pail guy who is doing a good job as depth. Worth re-signing while someone young develops.

RB – Cunningham – 2 years, $3.5mil, $ 2mil guaranteed

He is Forte-lite. Does nothing great, but does everything well. With Cohen moving to a WR/HB combo role, he will be in the RB rotation. I prefer him to be a 3rd RB.

LS – DePaola – 3 yeas, $3 million, $1 million guaranteed

We never heard his name, so he did a flawless job snapping. I’ll take it.

WR – Meredith  (RFA) – 2nd round tender - $2.75 mil

He is a talented player coming off an injury, I want him back in the slot where he did the bulk of his damage for us.

CB – Callahan (RFA) – 3rd round tender - $1.80 mil

Up and down play, I put a 3rd hoping some team bites on him. Unlikely, but even if they don’t we get him for pennies. 

Current cap now is $50.70 million

Free Agent Signings

WR – Allen Robinson – 5 years, $65 million, $40 mil guaranteed (18/12/11/11/13 structure)

Robinson is a bad mofo. Even with Bortles he was able to compile a 1400 yard and 14 TD season. I think it is safe to say we expect Trubisky to be better than Bortles, plus with Nagy’s system and the run game we have, and we are looking at him being the direct number one for a team with massive potential. He isn’t as much of a burner as Watkins but is incredibly difficult to press at the line and has more film showing how productive he can be in the number one role. On a negative note he is coming off a torn ACL, as is Meredith, and White is coming off yet another injury. But the potential of him at the X, Meredith at the Y, and Cohen or a rookie burner at the Z might be too much to pass up for the front office that seems zoned in to helping Trubisky develop – and it should be.    

*** Contract is set up to have him for all 5 years, and helps add some cap space to re-sign Goldman and Amos long-term.

OLB – Trent Murphy – 5 years, $40 million, $23 mil guaranteed (8/8/7/7/10 structure)

We cannot tiptoe around the OLB position. Floyd is standing alone out there and Murphy can be a solid counterpart. Where Floyd gets by on top-shelf athleticism, Murphy is the power player. He missed last year and that is the only reason we get him at this price, I fully believe if he was healthy last year that we see him get a top 5-10 contract for OLBs. This pouts him at 16th in average value and the guaranteed value being over 50% is what sets us apart from other offers. This also takes advantage of us getting our cap space for the year.

RG – Fulton – 4 years, $22 million, $12 mil guaranteed

Fulton knows Nagy’s system, was coached by Hiestand, etc. It just seems to sensible to pass up. He can play OG or C, I personally view the OL with C being more valuable than OG, so I keep Whitehair at C unless his snaps start going awry as early in the season did.

QB – Tyler Bray – 2 years, $2 million, $1 million guaranteed

No Bray is not being counted on to play, he simply is going to help the QBs, specifically Trubisky, learn the system. I don’t expect him to dress for a single game, maybe he gets cut in final cuts, but I want to make this system install as quickly as possible.

*** I have him being a final cut in the depth chart

OLB – Pierre- Louis – 3 years, $7 million, $3 million guaranteed

Pierre-Louis is essentially a younger Acho with more upside. Another name that isn’t huge but has potential. Pace has signed several intriguing talents to see if they could stick, and Pierre-Louis is one of the most physically gifted players in the FA market. How so? He graded out VERY similarly to Ryan Shazier – physically.  At only 24 years he has a lot of growth available, so maybe he can step into Acho’s role or even move inside to play the JACK role in a pinch.

QB – Griffin III – 2 years, $3 million, $1.5 million guaranteed

Let’s be honest, after he got hurt with Shanahan his career has completely derailed. He took a step back his sophomore season as he tried to become a pocket passer more each year in WAS, which negates the thing that made his special – his athleticism. I expect Nagy and Helfrich to utilize Trubisky’s mobility more than Frodo did and if we need a spot duty play from a backup QB, Helfrich has a lot of experience working with mobile QBs (Mariota). Not ideal, but keeps Sanchez in his mini-advisory role while a backup is developed. 

NT – NT Beau Allen – 3 years, $6 million

Goldman was a corpse in the 4th too often. It isn’t his fault, he is a 330+ pound man two gapping, and then trying to be a passrusher in nickel as well. Allen an unheralded part of the Eagles defensive line, who is easily overlooked as his stats are poor. But he is a fantastic run stuffer, someone who would be able to spell Goldman with little to no loss in the run game (though there would definitely be one in the pass game). Honestly if there’s an injury to Bullard or RRH, I may kick Goldman to 5T and let Allen start at NT.  Then when it is time for nickel bring Bullard or RRH (whoever is not injured) at 5T both 5Ts, and Unrein spells the NT.

OLB – Aaron Lynch – 2 years, $2.5 million

Lynch jumped onto the scene, then his career had a falling off similar to RGIII’s… without the injury. Our cupboards are bare pre-FA so any potential is needed, and Lynch has done nothing to warrant any guaranteed money. This allows him to have a chance to revive his career. While I’m highly doubtful, it is worth a swing and will cost literally nothing if his effort causes him to be cut.

Cap is now $10.87 mil – more than enough for the draft class and some min contracts as needed.

Draft

1(1) – CLE – QB Darnold

1(2) – NYG - QB Rosen

1(3) – IND – DE Chubb

1(4) – CLE – HB Barkley

1(5) – DEN – OG/RT Nelson *** Assuming they win the Cousins War ***

1(6) – NYJ – QB Mayfield

1(7) – TB – CB/S Fitzpatrick

1(8) – ILB Edmunds

We might have a team wanting Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, but I just don’t want to move back and miss out on a premier player. Assuming we can’t get a first this year and next from AZ or both of BUF’s firsts this year, the only real place I am looking at is MIA. But, on to the pick… They guy compares to Urlacher, he might overrun plays at times and needs to be coached up some, but he is only 19 and is a monster. With 2-3 years he could add another 10-15 pounds without losing explosiveness, and could be the next great Monster of the Midway. He is the best ILB in coverage this year IMO, good against the run, and with his athletic ability can offer some pass rush ability as well. People didn’t think Urlacher would be able to blitz the QB much either, until he racked up 8 his rookie year. Edmunds is of the same mold. He and Floyd are Vic’s newest version of Willis and Smith, freakishly athletic duo of ILB and OLB to wreak havoc on defenses the next 10 years.

2 – CB Travarus McFadden

I feel like Fitzpatrick, Ward, Jackson and Oliver are the CBs (Minkah may be a S) who go in the first. If so I am completely happy to see McFadden lining up for Chicago instead of lining up vs the Gators. He had 8 INTs in 2016 so he clearly has a talent for making plays, though teams are being more cautious throwing his way this year.  He, like Amukamara, is best used as a press corner. When in nickel I have him on the outside opposite of Amukamara and slide Fuller to the nickel, unless there is someone like AJ Green, Jones, etc on the outside. Fuller would follow them.    

4a – WR Antonio Callaway

He made poor choices in college, and lost millions in doing so. Callaway showed that in the Combine he had been very active, showing no signs of rust and not just excelling at the tests (as he was always clearly a burner) but showing he was still a top talent in the WR drills. With Callaway you are getting a guy who has the explosion out of breaks that only Ridley rivals so he could be a dominant slot WR, but he also has the speed and feet to get off of press coverage and threaten deep. With Robinson being a proven number one and Meredith being the biggest threat out of the slot, Callaway walks into the Z role as the third WR. With Robinson at only 24 years old, Meredith at 25 years of age, Cohen at 22 and Callaway at 21 – you are looking at a dynamic young corps to grow in Nagy’s system.  

4b – HB Kalen Ballage

Underrated and becomes the next one of Pace’s mid round gem RBs. With Cohen set to take on more WR responsibility, Ballage takes on as the spell RB for Howard. I think Ballage is a better pro than college kind of guy, and if Howard gets injured he has the body to handle 20+ touches. I would be happy seeing Howard get 65% of the rushes, Ballage getting 20%, and Cohen getting 15% (as he gets split out primarily and is then the 3rd down back in long situations).

5 OT Brandon Parker

Parker is a mammoth of a man, measuring in at 6’8” and having 35” arms. He is very raw, but has the athletic gifts to allow him to play either tackle position. I feel he would be a better RT though, and having a year to work with Hiestand as a swing tackle would do him wonders efore challenging someone for the RT position (as Chicago will likely be replacing Massie). He also was 305 but seems a bit thin in the arms/shoulders, so I expect the Bears’ staff to be able to add good weight with him as well, likely getting up to around 320 pounds. Like Morgan last year he is able to move well in space and be very adept at getting to the second level.   

6 QB JT Barrett

We are in an interesting situation where we have a QB-concentric staff now, and are installing a new system. We also have a HC that has called plays for a vet QB who was labeled a game manager until this year and a young rookie gunslinger, plus an OC who helped develop a mobile college QB in Marcus Mariota. This may be the perfect time to take a late swing on a mobile QB, for various reasons. We will likely implement a ton of RPOs and play-action, which he has shown to do well with and he has athleticism to spare. So with him and Trubisky the gameplan and playcalling would not need changed as drastically as with Sanchez, since much of it will be based around Trubisky/Barrett’s athleticism. Now he is a QB with poor footwork, but that can in large be attributed to a lack of pro-quality QB development as is common under Urban Meyer. I would draft him and he would be the scout QB every practice, and would be fantastic for the defense to work against when preparing for mobile QBs such as Wilson, Newton, Mariota, Lamar Jackson, etc. He also comes in on mop up duty as he is not just able to hand the ball off but do read-options to make sure the RBs are not completely keyed on.  

7 K Eddy Pineiro

We need a kicker, and Pineiro is the one I want. He has a booming leg, both on FGs and kickoffs, but he has also shown great accuracy considering he is still quite new to the game. His FG percentage was fantastic, missing only one in the first game of the season and finishing 17 for 17 – yes his 94.4% conversion was tops in the NCAA. The lack of attempts was due to a pathetic offense from Florida, not from a lack of faith in Pineiro’s leg from long as he has been 5 for 5 from 50+ yards and 12 for 15 from 40-49 yards (one having a bad snap and hold). We have had a glaring hole since Gould was released, and Pineiro is the one who can remedy that issue.

Depth Chart

QB - Trubisky, Griffin III, Barrett, Sanchez (does not dress)

HB – Howard, Ballage, Cunningham         *** Cohen – 3rd down back

WR – Robinson, Meredith, Callaway, Cohen, Wright, White (IR- TBD), Gentry (PS)

TE – Shaheen, Brown, Braunecker

LT – Leno

LG – Long

C – Whitehair, Grasu

RG – Fulton, Morgan (swing)

RT – Massie, Parker

LE – Hicks, Robertson-Harris

NT – Goldman, Allen

RE – Bullard, Unrein

LOLB – Floyd, Pierre-Louis

ILB – Trevathan, Kwiatkoski

ILB – Edmunds, Jones

ROLB – Murphy, Houston

CB – Fuller, Amukamara, McFadden, Callahan, LeBlanc

FS – Jackson, Houston-Carson/Hall

SS – Amos, Bush

K - Pineiro

P- O’Donnell

LS - DePaola

Parting Shots

- With Massie and White being off the books in 2019, there is $11 mil open. That is enough to take a hell of a chunk from Goldman and Amos's extensions.

- The depth at TE sucks, but is countered by a stacked WR corps and 3-4 RBs that do very well from the shotgun.  We could easily spend the bulk of out time in a 4 wide set if Shaheen is injured. Look :

10 personnel -

X - Robinson, White

Y - Meredith, Wright

R- Cohen, Wright

Z- Callaway, > Cohen > White

* That would force the defense into a nickel or dime, and we will have mismatches around. Plus as I said, our RBs run out of the shotgun pretty damn well, so this will open up RPOs, play action, and straight audibles if the defense sits back for the pass.

- Nickel would be interesting. I would prefer a 3-3 set on obvious passing downs. DL having Hicks at the 0, Murphy on the RT, and Goldman inside the LT. Murphy tries to rush normally, Hicks collapses the pocket, and Bllard stunts depending on where Floyd is to blitz. With Floyd, Trevathan, and Edmunds all standing Floyd can attack from anywhere,  and DT and Edmunds can switch roles as both are solid in coverage. I prefer to have Edmunds zone in on the RB, if he stays in to block then Edmunds attacks in any gap he sees.

At CB we have 3 guys who can be solid outside CBs in Fuller, Amukamara, and McFadden, then have 3 guys capable of playing in the slot - Fuller, Callahan, and LeBlanc. I would want Fuller to line up the number one if they have a Green, Gordon, Funchess, etc. But in normal sets I want him in the NB and Amukamara/McFadden on the outside. Fuller did great in NB in college, is the best vs the run of our CBs, and can blitz better than the rest of them.

If we really need coverage deep, then I take Amos and plug him into a LB spot, kick Callahan to NB, and put Fuller in the Mathieu-like role. Jackson can be the deep safety.

12 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Not bad all around. I'd just say Callaway probably won't be the pick. No doubt he's talented but the Bears don't draft troubled players like that. 

I know, but I wish we would take one risk for a midround pick. I just don't want to ever field the crappy WR corps we did last year if our top 1 or 2 WRs go down. 

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I know, but I wish we would take one risk for a midround pick. I just don't want to ever field the crappy WR corps we did last year if our top 1 or 2 WRs go down. 

Yeah they looks like real corpses out there last year didn't they 

Your help for Trubisky

WR Core

1. ACL

2. ACL

3. Rookie 

4. Never played WR

5. Mediocre

6. IR

-A prominent role for a 4th round WR with serious off field issues

-A TE core that has less than 50 career catches.

I would be underwhelmed. If Robinson is the only WR add then I think we need to look at someone in the 2nd round who is more likely to play.

55 minutes ago, G08 said:

Not to pick nits my dude but you've got Edmunds going #8 and #11.

Yep, I made it 2 days ago but wanted to see how Edmunds tested. No way he lasts until 11 now, so I took away the trade.

Originally had us trading back so MIA could get a QB. Good catch.

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Your help for Trubisky

WR Core

1. ACL

2. ACL

3. Rookie 

4. Never played WR

5. Mediocre

6. IR

-A prominent role for a 4th round WR with serious off field issues

-A TE core that has less than 50 career catches.

I would be underwhelmed. If Robinson is the only WR add then I think we need to look at someone in the 2nd round who is more likely to play.

I understand what you're saying, but adding Robinson and Callaway beats the hell out of adding Moncrief, Smith and Burton. Plus with Smith he is being added in most mocks to us so I wanted something different. You can swap a CB in the 4th and take a WR in the 2nd though.

You were looking at how the passes were divided up between players in KC's system, but they rarely use 2 TEs. That was why I pulled away from FA signings like Graham, Burton (who will want to be the undisputed number one wherever he goes) and a few vets like Dickson. Last year they had Harris with 18 receptions, so one catch per game. That is a role Brown or Braunecker can fill.

We can't get a perfect scenario. Landry is going to get overpaid and will require a trade. If we trade back to 11 and get him and a 3rd (along with swapping firsts) then fine, but I doubt that happens. Watkins has a ton of potential but has had only one 1000 yard season. Robinson is the best of the bunch, and if healthy in 2017 he is getting $16+ mil per year easily.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I understand what you're saying, but adding Robinson and Callaway beats the hell out of adding Moncrief, Smith and Burton. Plus with Smith he is being added in most mocks to us so I wanted something different. You can swap a CB in the 4th and take a WR in the 2nd though.

You were looking at how the passes were divided up between players in KC's system, but they rarely use 2 TEs. That was why I pulled away from FA signings like Graham, Burton (who will want to be the undisputed number one wherever he goes) and a few vets like Dickson. Last year they had Harris with 18 receptions, so one catch per game. That is a role Brown or Braunecker can fill.

We can't get a perfect scenario. Landry is going to get overpaid and will require a trade. If we trade back to 11 and get him and a 3rd (along with swapping firsts) then fine, but I doubt that happens. Watkins has a ton of potential but has had only one 1000 yard season. Robinson is the best of the bunch, and if healthy in 2017 he is getting $16+ mil per year easily.

They rarely use 2 TEs because they target Kelce 140 times a season.

Shaheen had 14 targets last season. You are then suggesting 10x as many targets for a player who we have no idea if he can be consistently productive.

Apparently Pace walked into Nagy's office and saw him glued to the tape of some offensive free agent. He was jotting down player notes on one pad and on the other he was writing down scheme ideas he liked that the team was using.

Someone tell me why I think it was Sammy Watkins and the Rams' offense...

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Apparently Pace walked into Nagy's office and saw him glued to the tape of some offensive free agent. He was jotting down player notes on one pad and on the other he was writing down scheme ideas he liked that the team was using.

Who knows, but Watkins was probably under used in LA last season.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Who knows, but Watkins was probably under used in LA last season.

He was... and the term "football smarts" was thrown around in the Rams' forum. Don't know what that means for us here, but Pace said football smarts will play a huge role at WR here (then again, he is known to lie).

Anywho... definitely get Albert Wilson in here and try your damndest to land either Watkins or Robinson. Both are young and better than any other WR on our roster.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Where did you get this nugget from?

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They rarely use 2 TEs because they target Kelce 140 times a season.

Shaheen had 14 targets last season. You are then suggesting 10x as many targets for a player who we have no idea if he can be consistently productive.

No, I'm really not suggesting that. Not even close. 

I was on record of saying the numbers from last year had little to do with what we did. Most of the games weren't called by Nagy, and I broke down what the targets per game were under Nagy. You never forcefeed a player, but i would exoect him to get about 100 targets at least. Robinson would get the lions share, Meredith would be number two, then probably Shaheen. Kelce is a top 2 RE, you don't put that expectation on Shaheen, but he absolutely should get a huge jump in targets. 6 targets per week isn't crazy by any means. 

What he got last year isn't important anyway, we all know he was disgustingly underutilized. And KC rarely used 2 TE sets because their depth there sucks, not because of Kelce. If you have 2 stud TEs or one stud and amother solid receiving threat you get them both on the field. They put their best players on the field, and Harris simply isn't one of them. 

Archived