Running Backs, Positional Value, And The 2018 Prospects

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Just take our guy at QB and move on, don't get cute

Can't speak entirely for LetsGo but I'm sure he's talking more about Barkley at 4 not being worth it.

QB at 1 is pretty much consensus, bar some idiot media types trying to sell Barkley and the #3QB as the combo. Which they are doing just for clicks. Everyone knows that will not happen.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’re mostly talking at 4.

We’re assuming QB is already taken care of.

My bad, I gotta see Minkah's numbers before I make a judgement, we can forget about Barkley at 4, we may have to take either Fitz or Chubb or trade down

I'm dead set against taking Barkley at #1, we need to take a QB there. I wouldn't be mad if we took him at 4, but also wouldn't be too mad if we passed on him there in favor of Minkah or Chubb. I think Barkley is a more special prospect than those two, but the shelf life of an RB and the premium on DBs and pass rushers almost cancel that out in my mind. As a pro Barkely point, I will say that while the passing game may be more in vogue and RB shelf life is definitely lesser, having a good friend in a running game will  be advantageous as we groom our young QB in the near term as we try to turn this ship around and build a winner.

I think that the argument against taking a RB high is old and tired.  It is understandable that the running game isn't as important as maybe it once was, but when you have one that can also affect the passing game as well, then I think you take him.  Barkley is an offensive threat period.  There are DB's that can be had in round 2 also.  You can find any position at any time.

If a guy is "that good"....you take him

Yeah when I first read this thread I thought it was about Barkley not being worth it at 1, not at 4.

I do think Barkley would be worth it at 4 as a game changing RB takes a TON of pressure off a rookie QB.  Especially if he can block and catch the ball out of the backfield, and you know how explosive Barkley is, you would have to keep an eye on him the whole game.

I know its harder to take him early because of positional value or longevity of the position, but if you have Barkley for 5 or 6 years, it gives that QB a cushion when he is young and really helps him build confidence, then hopefully we are consistently winning before he gets to the point he is past his prime.

Its also hard to pass up the sure thing at #4 as opposed to a question mark like one of the CB's or Fitz.  I personally would take Barkley and if he was gone it would be chubb or trade down at 4.

That being said QB at one and there's not even a question about that....

8 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think that the argument against taking a RB high is old and tired.  It is understandable that the running game isn't as important as maybe it once was, but when you have one that can also affect the passing game as well, then I think you take him.  Barkley is an offensive threat period.  There are DB's that can be had in round 2 also.  You can find any position at any time.

If a guy is "that good"....you take him

So what happens when you have 2 or three guys who are “that good”?

What’s the tiebreaker? What separates him from Chubb, Nelson, Minkah, etc?

6 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Yeah when I first read this thread I thought it was about Barkley not being worth it at 1, not at 4.

I do think Barkley would be worth it at 4 as a game changing RB takes a TON of pressure off a rookie QB.  Especially if he can block and catch the ball out of the backfield, and you know how explosive Barkley is, you would have to keep an eye on him the whole game.

I know its harder to take him early because of positional value or longevity of the position, but if you have Barkley for 5 or 6 years, it gives that QB a cushion when he is young and really helps him build confidence, then hopefully we are consistently winning before he gets to the point he is past his prime.

Its also hard to pass up the sure thing at #4 as opposed to a question mark like one of the CB's or Fitz.  I personally would take Barkley and if he was gone it would be chubb or trade down at 4.

That being said QB at one and there's not even a question about that....

Doesn’t any good back do those things though?

Isnt RB on of the easier positions to find quality players later in the draft? Mike Shannahan made a career of it.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If all 3 guys are equal, the tiebreaker goes to the biggest area of need on your roster. 

IMO, that effectively eliminates Chubb. We already have Garrett and Ogbah. We don't need to spent another Top 5 pick on a DE, plus I'm not a Chubb believer in him being a "freak" like some, although I've been wrong before.

IMO, that also eliminates Nelson, unless they're 100% sure  that he or Bitonio can play at an ELITE LEVEL as a RT right now and JT's future replacement as a LT.

If they believe that Minkah is a game changing DB, whether it's a corner, S, or hybrid box guy (even if we already have Peppers), then you take him.

If they don't believe that Minkah is that guy, you take BPA, which would be Barkley.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Doesn’t any good back do those things though?

Isnt RB on of the easier positions to find quality players later in the draft? Mike Shannahan made a career of it.

Any good RB does those things but in the later rounds you are hoping the RB pans out like Kareem Hunt and not Montario Hardesty...

If Barkley seems like a sure thing, a bird in the hand and all that....

Just now, CBrownsman said:

Any good RB does those things but in the later rounds you are hoping the RB pans out like Kareem Hunt and not Montario Hardesty...

Well if there’s a guy capable of finding a Kareem Hunt.....

Just now, CBrownsman said:

If Barkley seems like a sure thing, a bird in the hand and all that....

So did Richardson, Ki-Jana, Chris Perry, Curtis Enis, Cadillac Williams, McFadden, etc.

Barkley has proven nothing yet, he’s no sure thing.  The “bird in the hand” arguement doesn’t apply.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If all 3 guys are equal, the tiebreaker goes to the biggest area of need on your roster. 

IMO, that effectively eliminates Chubb. We already have Garrett and Ogbah. We don't need to spent another Top 5 pick on a DE, plus I'm not a Chubb believer in him being a "freak" like some, although I've been wrong before.

IMO, that also eliminates Nelson, unless they're 100% sure  that he or Bitonio can play at an ELITE LEVEL as a RT right now and JT's future replacement as a LT.

If they believe that Minkah is a game changing DB, whether it's a corner, S, or hybrid box guy (even if we already have Peppers), then you take him.

If they don't believe that Minkah is that guy, you take BPA, which would be Barkley.

That’s fair.

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like all those guys.  I wouldn't be super mad if we took any of them.  But for me, Barkley will be an offensive weapon that will have a bigger impact on the game.  We have not been able to score points, and I think he will be a 10td plus guy a year.

You mentioned Guice, and he is my second favorite back.  I just don't see him making it to round 2.  Penny, Michel, and, or Chubb may be there at the top of the second, but I think the gap is pretty big between Barkley and them.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s fair.

That's also assuming that we don't get our doors blown off with an offer at #4. I still don't want to trade back past the 7-10 range, because I'd love Denzel Ward as a CB, or someone who is an elite prospect like him.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I like all those guys.  I wouldn't be super mad if we took any of them.  But for me, Barkley will be an offensive weapon that will have a bigger impact on the game.  We have not been able to score points, and I think he will be a 10td plus guy a year.

Agreed, offense is a need in general, but I think most of our issues revolve around bad QB play.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame

As far as ppg, only 2 of the top 10 teams invested heavily in running backs (Jax and LA). The other 8/10 made minimal investments in midrounders or players vis FA/UDFA.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

You mentioned Guice, and he is my second favorite back.  I just don't see him making it to round 2.  Penny, Michel, and, or Chubb may be there at the top of the second, but I think the gap is pretty big between Barkley and them.

Guice in round 2?  Prolly not.  Maybe, crazier things have happened, but I doubt it as well.

As far as the gap, the same gap was perceived between Fournette and Kamara/Hunt I’d imagine.

Archived