Post Combine Mock

Joe

Not gonna play FA stuff right now, but I'm thinking we're going to sign Wilkerson after all. That significantly improves the DL and looking at who we currently have, that kinda sets up our rotation. I also think we're better off along the OL than we think we are.  I really want to double dip at TE, but I don't think this class is that strong. This mock is straight up, no trades. Probably wishful thinking with some of these guys after the 4th despite the draft becoming a crap shoot at that point, but here goes.

1.14: Derwin James, DB, FSU: I hate going with James, but I can't see Landry working well in Pettine's defense, someone will reach on Marcus Davenport(whose tape is...ugh), Josh Jackson can't tackle and only has one year of production, Denzel Ward won't be on the board, but is too small to do what we want him to do. Do we go OL here? Perhaps, but James can step in and either play FS or play the Star role that Hyde and Woodson played.

2.45: Lorenzo Carter, EDGE, Georgia: Impact player as a situational rusher as he adjusts to the pro game.

3.76: Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana: Route running and blocking need to improve, but sitting behind Rich Rod and Kendricks will help Thomas as Rich Rod's blocking was remedial at best as a rookie. I think we can all agree that Rich Rod has improved in that area. Thomas has a higher ceiling so Rich Rod can train his replacement. Additionally, I think Gesicki is a bit overrated. Dropped a ton of catchable balls last season and his combine doesn't reflect what is seen on tape.

4.114: Dante Pettis, WR, Washington: May not be on the board here, but he's a natural route-runner specializing in YAC and can offer something as a PR. Speed is a bit of a question, but excels as a complimentary receiver outside or inside.

4.133:  Joseph Noteboom, OL, TCU: He has the measurables, he looked good at the Sr. Bowl, but his tape shows some inconsistencies. James Campen has had a history of taking those kinds of players and making them productive.

5.150: Josh Sweat, EDGE, FSU: Sweat has dealt with injuries fairly often and has been inconsistent, which pushes him down the boards. At this point in the draft, however, we're looking for situational rushers who can contribute on ST. Sweat can fit that mold.

5.172: Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane: for 6', 185, he's considered undersized. However, he has the requisite speed, tenacity, and ball skills to grow and become a solid starter at the next level.

5.174: Shaquem Griffin, LB/DB, UCF: Griffin can be a swiss army knife for us much in the way Burnett has performed. I like him earlier, but then again, I'm a huge fan.

6.186: Jack Cichy, ILB, Wisconsin: You've all seen him play, you know he's coming off an injury. Nothing more needs to be said here.

6.207: Nick Stevens, QB, CSU: Best guy on the board at this point

7.232: Ryan Izzo, TE, FSU: Blocking TE

7.239: Byron Pringle, WR, KSU: Has the physical traits, can he keep clean off-the-field.

8 hours ago, Joe said:

Not gonna play FA stuff right now, but I'm thinking we're going to sign Wilkerson after all. That significantly improves the DL and looking at who we currently have, that kinda sets up our rotation. I also think we're better off along the OL than we think we are.  I really want to double dip at TE, but I don't think this class is that strong. This mock is straight up, no trades. Probably wishful thinking with some of these guys after the 4th despite the draft becoming a crap shoot at that point, but here goes.

1.14: Derwin James, DB, FSU: I hate going with James, but I can't see Landry working well in Pettine's defense

Just wondering what makes you think Landry wouldn't be ideal for our defense? 

54 minutes ago, Golfman said:

John Sweat doesn't last anywhere close to round 5 with the numbers he put up at the combine. A team could fall in love with him in round 1, but realistically he's mid 2 to mid 3 at the latest. 

I don't know man, I hear if there is a John Sweat in this draft it's very likely he's a UDFA.

John Sweat will have to sweat out the draft process in order to hear his name. (sorry couldn't help myself) 

It's been published that Cichy is about 80-90% back from injury. So that is a good pick to see if the kid can come back. I'm afraid that James has moved himself to one of the top five picks in this year's draft. So if he lands at the Packer's slot...I bet Gutsey goes for him. Overall it would be a good draft. 

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Picks are good, your explanation for drafting James is weird. Not sure why a pass rusher doesn't fit Pettine's scheme and what about watching the tape of a 6'7 guy with obvious heavy hands makes you go "ugh."

Carter would probably play up by the LOS. His issues are very correctable.

15 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

Just wondering what makes you think Landry wouldn't be ideal for our defense? 

Landry's 250 lb.s but plays 40 lb's lighter. He often gets lost in the fray and I don't think he's that explosive. I think he'll slide down the board despite the combine numbers. I think he underachieves at the next level.

18 hours ago, Joe said:

Landry's 250 lb.s but plays 40 lb's lighter. He often gets lost in the fray and I don't think he's that explosive. I think he'll slide down the board despite the combine numbers. I think he underachieves at the next level.

Wow.  There are things that Landry is not, explosive is not on that list.  That's all the kid is...explosion off of the line.  That and hustle/heart.  He may very well slide, but make no mistake, the kid has explosion off of the line.

But...here's my take on him.  For every guy that loves him, as I do, there is another guy like you who has very real objections about where he should be drafted.  He is not "safe".  Truly, I get your hesitation on him.

I've gotten lost in the weeds with all these guys/comparisons - this guys faster that this other guy who;s stronger than these other two guys that have better cone times then this army of mid level guys that really play the game hard.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Just draft the biggest impact / difference maker(s) we can. Please make whomever it is isnt coming off some kind of injury thats gonna wash out his rookie season. Pick, plug and play a guy (or guys) that will make plays and differentiate themselves from JAGs.

Thats all I ask

Archived