Great DLine vs Great Secondary

bosko1616

There is no debate, a great DL can make any secondary look pretty good, a great secondary with a poor DL, will get eaten alive as the QB will have all day to find an open receiver and you can only expect a great DB to cover perfectly for a certain amount of time, after that it all falls apart.

Put a great pass rusher in a draft like Garrett, Clowney, Williams etc.etc. and put a great CB in the same draft and the CB gets drafted after them every time. Name the last great CB who went #1 in the draft = none, but I can name DE after DE after DE who all went #1 overall.

So there is no debate!!!

I was listening to a sports show a while back with a guest from P.F.F. The host asked him what player he would keep on the Browns. He said Larry Ogunjobi. Said he was better than Suh. Of course he back tracked on that a little. He said to watch the tape on Larry. He wondered why the coaches didn't play him more. Just might be why we traded Shelton. I was really surprised when he said Larry O. instead of Miles Garret. Maybe Sashi and company found a diamond in the rough. I hope so.

4 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

I was listening to a sports show a while back with a guest from P.F.F. The host asked him what player he would keep on the Browns. He said Larry Ogunjobi. Said he was better than Suh. Of course he back tracked on that a little. He said to watch the tape on Larry. He wondered why the coaches didn't play him more. Just might be why we traded Shelton. I was really surprised when he said Larry O. instead of Miles Garret. Maybe Sashi and company found a diamond in the rough. I hope so.

I was thinking of saying Larry o has all pro potential, but there area lot of good DT's at the moment. At least pro bowl potential I would say. 

If Larry O and Myles G work it next year, we will dominate some teams. 

It would be great also if we could get a couple of ball hawk players.

I reall want us to have multiple ways of winning a game.  

49 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

Larry looked awesome last year (thanks again Sashi), but he’s a different type of dude than Shelton.

I get why they traded him, but I always believe a team can make use of a true run stuffer.  We may not use a guy like Shelton a lot, but we aren’t better without him.

Depends on your scheme.

Because we send so many zone blitzes, having elite cover guys is better for our defense. We don't simply rush 4 and play vanilla coverage in behind it. If we did, DL is more important.

90% of schemes? DL is king.

The rare 10% of the time (our case), having a bunch of ball hawking athletes in the secondary is more important.

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Larry looked awesome last year (thanks again Sashi), but he’s a different type of dude than Shelton.

I get why they traded him, but I always believe a team can make use of a true run stuffer.  We may not use a guy like Shelton a lot, but we aren’t better without him.

Ogunjobi can absolutely play NT though. He was strictly a 1 technique in college and was dominant there. His ability to take on double teams is excellent and he was able to still generate pressure in the passing game drawing doubles as well. He's a great fit for playing NT or 3-Tech.

I'm very irritated we got rid of Shelton though. He's going to be so good for New England. I would have never traded him for anything less than a 1st round pick (which we'd never get). Shelton is a top 5 run stuffing NT in my opinion and is young and costing us zero cap space right now. Was he a great fit schematically? No, but he was easily the best player we had in terms of stopping the opposition's run game--the strength of our entire team last season.

How about both?  Throw in great LBs as well and lets have a 2000 Ravens D.  Then we need a greatest show on turf type of offense, and heck, I will take a Browns ST from a few years back with Cribbs and Dawson.  *championship*

Archived