Damarious Randall traded to the Browns for DeShone Kizer

marky mark

im starting to warm up to the trade

it was likely that we were going to pick up 2 cbs anyway outside the draft. randall would have walked anyway at some point

we cheaply solved our backup qb problem without needing to invest a 3rd or 4th.

now, if we can only find a team that would take hundley 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're point being what?

Hundley doesn't lack arm strength. They're both fine. The problem with both of them is they're inaccurate and often don't know what to do with the ball. 

hundleys arm strength was most evident when rifling it to a wr/rb 2 yards away from him.

If you cannot throw a touchdown at Lambeau field after receiving 3 years of NFL level coaching and watching Aaron Rodgers day in and day out then you're probably aren't good enough to play in the NFL.

It's time to move on from Hundley.

With our limited cap space we don't have the luxury of signing an experienced backup NFL QB nor do we have the luxury of spending a draft pick on a QB when we have so many holes to fill elsewhere. Getting Kizer gives us a cheap QB with 3 years on his contract and gives us the opportunity to start over with a new backup QB. We did it without giving up a draft pick (or losing a compensatory pick if we signed a FA QB) and in exchange gave up a player we wanted nothing more to do with.

This trade solved our QB problem for now, gained some draft flexibility and a little bit more salary cap space. The draft pick that would've been spent on a QB will now be used to acquire a corner, possibily in a trade up thanks to the higher draft picks we got from the Browns.

Kizer was dead man walking with the new regime and signed thru 2020.

Randall was dead man walking in the last year of his contract and a locker room issue.

After seeing what Peters and Talib were worth, I'll call Step 1 of Gutes plan a wash

We wanted proactive; this is what proactive looks like. To think Gute doesn't have a plan would be stupid. This is Step 1 of the plan. You can't give it a grade until we see the remaining steps.

I think anybody repeatedly making the point 'we traded a starter for a guy we hope never plays' has trouble separating idealism from reality. The reality is Rodgers is old and he gets injured like other players. There is always a chance the back up will have to play and I would rather be prepared for it then stuck with noodle arm hundley. 

Secondly, for those who say 'we can just draft somebody in the 4th and 5th'. Do you mean somebody like Brett Hundley? Because that's how you get Brett Hundley. 

Packers have done their homework on Kizer, they are HIGH on him. It is better than being caught with our pants down should Rodgers get hurt again or has to retire early for w.e reason and the loss of Randall (completely replaceable) will sting a lot less when we sign and draft a couple CB's.

Let's see how high New England values a QB at this point in Brady's career, could make for an interesting comparison. 

30 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I think anybody repeatedly making the point 'we traded a starter for a guy we hope never plays' has trouble separating idealism from reality. The reality is Rodgers is old and he gets injured like other players. There is always a chance the back up will have to play and I would rather be prepared for it then stuck with noodle arm hundley. 

Secondly, for those who say 'we can just draft somebody in the 4th and 5th'. Do you mean somebody like Brett Hundley? Because that's how you get Brett Hundley. 

Packers have done their homework on Kizer, they are HIGH on him. It is better than being caught with our pants down should Rodgers get hurt again or has to retire early for w.e reason and the loss of Randall (completely replaceable) will sting a lot less when we sign and draft a couple CB's.

Let's see how high New England values a QB at this point in Brady's career, could make for an interesting comparison. 

CB's aren't the only hole on defense.

This move will look better if we bolster CB through FA, if we don't and we spend a couple of picks at the draft then that will be something to discuss because its clear to me that Edge is a huge priority.

Are we going to ignore that position again because we need to spend another first rounder on a corner?

6 hours ago, Kenrik said:

The offseason just started for heavens sake...

I don't get why people keep saying this. 

Literally any move we make this offseason will not be something we couldn't have done had we kept Randall. 

If we re-sign House and sign Sherman, we are still a better defense with Randall than we are without him.  If we sign Sherman and draft a cornerback in the first three rounds, we are still a better defense with Randall. 

Any way you look at it, our defense got worse because of this trade.  Literally.  Literally any way you look at it. 

You can never have too many cornerbacks or defensive backs, especially versatile ones like Randall.  Especially when all the corners currently on your roster have major injury concerns.  Especially when you spent the last two years down to nothing at that position.

1 minute ago, jontat83 said:

CB's aren't the only hole on defense.

This move will look better if we bolster CB through FA, if we don't and we spend a couple of picks at the draft then that will be something to discuss because its clear to me that Edge is a huge priority.

Have to think FA and the draft are pretty well stocked at CB, there are plenty of options. And there are other ways to fix our secondary other than having 4 starting caliber corners (that's some Madden fantasy if I ever saw it), like you mentioned grabbing edge rusher if available. 

Can only assume he didn't want Randall on the team.

This doesn't really make any sense whatsoever for me. If Rodgers goes down, I don't see Kizer helping us win many more games. If we had to upgrade the backup QB position then you get a veteran you can rely on. Obviously you have to see how it plays out but seems like we have given away our best defensive back for virtually nothing. The only way it makes sense is if like I said he didn't want Randall on the team.

Normally I don't do knee jerk reactions but I truly hate this move.

Also, everybody saying, "We're still going to make moves at the position this year, so why freak out?"

What cornerback do you think you are going to get that is as good as Randall and as cheap as Randall?  That player isn't out there. 

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't get why people keep saying this. 

Literally any move we make this offseason will not be something we couldn't have done had we kept Randall. 

If we re-sign House and sign Sherman, we are still a better defense with Randall than we are without him.  If we sign Sherman and draft a cornerback in the first three rounds, we are still a better defense with Randall. 

Any way you look at it, our defense got worse because of this trade.  Literally.  Literally any way you look at it. 

You can never have too many cornerbacks or defensive backs, especially versatile ones like Randall.  Especially when all the corners currently on your roster have major injury concerns.  Especially when you spent the last two years down to nothing at that position.

We keep saying it because y'all acting like we are going into the season with pipkins and King.

Why do we need to stockile cornerbacks? Maybe instead of having 4 starting caliber guys like you guys keep suggesting we only 2 or 3 and a a pass rusher. Please just give them the off season lmao

Just now, sgtcheezwiz said:

We keep saying it because y'all acting like we are going into the season with pipkins and King.

Why do we need to stockile cornerbacks? Maybe instead of having 4 starting caliber guys like you guys keep suggesting we only 2 or 3 and a a pass rusher.

1. We have ended the last two seasons with Gunter and Hawkins starting games for us. 
2. Literally every corner on our roster has injury concerns.  Rollins was slow to begin with, tore ACL or one of the CLs.  King has a shoulder concern.  If we go into the season with 2 or 3 starting caliber guys, we are ending the season with 1 or 2 starting caliber guys.
3. How do you expect to pay for them?  Randall cost 2 million.  You think a starting caliber cornerback is going to sign with us for 2 million dollars?  What fantasy world do you live in and what's the immigration process like?  

lmao indeed. 

Archived