The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

And by no means am I excusing our poor secondary performances. Not at all. Just read a stat that JTT and Harrison had more INTs than our CBs... combined!! That's unacceptable. How much of that falls on Knowles and how much on Walton? 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Well, in a conference w/ high powered offenses, he made OkSt's defense pretty admirable. Something that conference hadn't seen in quite some time.

What high powered offenses did we play this year? Serious question. Aside from Michigan, who put up a big crooked number on us on our own field. The only team to give up more points than us was RUTGERS in our own conference.

You are correct in the sense that he doesn't know about the rivalry but why can't he learn about it, embrace it, then fully grasp it? From what I understand, players absolutely love this dude and he turned a pretty meh defense into something pretty damn good in one year.

Easy to do when you get a bunch of nobody's all season IMO. 

I've also read that he is taking this loss pretty hard as well so I don't see why it's out of the realm of possibilities that he can't learn to appreciate the rivalry and become a part of it.

You know more about coaching than I do but I do know that we had some pretty awful performances on defense last year then he came in and we didn't have nearly as many. I don't see why we should give up on a guy after one year when he turned **** into something pretty appealing. It's all personal opinion though.

I don't think he did anything positive at all in terms of generating sacks or turnovers. Freaking Penn State put up 31 on us, the Maryland game the week before this past one was embarrassing with a 30 burger as well.

...what exactly did he do to turn things around?

I guess I see a guy who got a soft schedule and laid 3 eggs against Penn State, Maryland, and Michigan, which were basically the only respectable offenses we faced all year.

We had defensive backs who couldn’t make a play on the ball the entire season, haven’t been able to turn around for the ball in three years, and we had guys that didn’t even know where receivers were down the field. Something is definitely going wrong back there. Anytime a ball is thrown down the field, I have no confidence. Even when we covered a guy one time against Michigan downfield and had him double covered, our safety mauled the guy for a PI. Denzel Burke digressed from his first year to second year. Cameron Brown is finishing his 5th year now and I’ve seen him play one good game since he’s been here. Four and five star back ups took turns getting put on the firepit as they rotated in and out with each other. No hope back there, dudes were just wide-open.  It’s one thing to get beat and out-talented on a play but cover a guy, but we weren’t even contesting anything. That’s got to be a coaching issue when dudes just aren’t even there in the space.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What high powered offenses did we play this year? Serious question. Aside from Michigan, who put up a big crooked number on us on our own field. The only team to give up more points than us was RUTGERS in our own conference.

Easy to do when you get a bunch of nobody's all season IMO. 

I don't think he did anything positive at all in terms of generating sacks or turnovers. Freaking Penn State put up 31 on us, the Maryland game the week before this past one was embarrassing with a 30 burger as well.

...what exactly did he do to turn things around?

I guess I see a guy who got a soft schedule and laid 3 eggs against Penn State, Maryland, and Michigan, which were basically the only respectable offenses we faced all year.

I was referring to the Big XII when he was there and made OkSt's defense admirable. 

Penn State was scoring on everyone all year as well. Maryland put up almost 30 against Michigan so it's not just us.

I do think he got more out of Zach Harrison this year and it's absolutely undeniable how much better our LBs were. As much as you dislike Knowles, I don't see how you can argue that.

You are seemingly sold on him not being the answer and that's fine. There's nothing wrong w/ it. I just disagree and think he can do more w/ more time. The secondary undoubtedly needs fixed. You won't find one OSU fan who disagrees but like I asked, how much of that is Knowles and how much is on Walton or even Eliano?

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Serious question:

Why is anyone holding out hope on Knowles at this point? He's a BIG XII guy who isn't from Ohio and has no idea what it takes to be a good/great DC or understand this rivalry at all. He's not an Ohio guy. And those recruits are a bunch of 5 stars. Is he really going to "bring in his own guys" and be more talented? I don't think so.

I'm not as concerned about Knowles as I am the one who is responsible for the defensive coverages.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And by no means am I excusing our poor secondary performances. Not at all. Just read a stat that JTT and Harrison had more INTs than our CBs... combined!! That's unacceptable. How much of that falls on Knowles and how much on Walton? 

👀

I would hate to be in that evaluation meeting 

• Like 1

The defense definitely made improvements if you look at the seasons body of work, but the defensive backs, that spoke for itself on Saturday. Same results against a good offense as last season. The sad part is I really think the coaching was the worst of it, Michigan couldn’t get anything going, and we know that our Achilles’ heel is our cornerbacks play. So what do we do? We send our safeties flying up towards the line of scrimmage to eliminate the run game and leave our weak links on an island.  Horrific job by Cameron Brown on the first one touchdown, but it was also a horrible call by Knowles on a 3rd and 8. We sold out all game, and I understand we felt like Michigan had an advantage upfront, but the over aggression was extremely costly. And our expensive defensive coordinator stuck with his game plan that didn’t work. 

If we don't make the playoff again we might have to make a change at head coach in an attempt to retake control of our rivalry with UM which if we don't make the playoff this year it would be blamed on the loss to UM, the second year in a row that would be the case.

I'd be open to Kirby Smart as the HC. Which wouldn't be the first time a coach jumped from the SEC to the Big Ten. James Franklin did it when he went from Vanderbilt to Penn State.

13 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Rumors that Hartline's interviewing for the UC job. That would sting 

Great move for him though. He's never going to be the OC as long as Day is here, so he's kinda maxed out at OSU. Losing Buckeye connection after Buckeye connection is a bad thing though. He's about the only guy on staff other than LJ Jr. that I genuinely feel is a necessity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Great move for him though. He's never going to be the OC as long as Day is here, so he's kinda maxed out at OSU. Losing Buckeye connection after Buckeye connection is a bad thing though. He's about the only guy on staff other than LJ Jr. that I genuinely feel is a necessity.

I hope he absolutely bombs the interview assuming it happens. You are right though, him and LJ need to protected at all costs. We could arguably have our best WR class ever coming in next year so I hope he doesn't leave them high and dry this late into the recruiting process even though all of them, if they chose to decommit, have other places ready and waiting for their services.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781