Forecasting the 2018 Bears Offense

G08

3 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Given how much say it seems Vic/Nagy have had in the personal decisions in FA I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Vic gets his choice at a defender. I just wouldn’t expect Edmunds to come in here and be a pass rusher, he’s a raw MLB with extreme upside through and through. 

Where do you have Fitz in this whole thing? He seems to be the one guy no one is considering.

I don't think they will target Fitzpatrick for a number of reasons.  One they have both Fuller and Prince coming back, two they like both Amos and Jackson manning the safety positions, and three, Fitz is a tweener without a true position.  Will he play CB will he play S at th enext level?  The talent is there for sure but there are some question marks and bigger needs for this team.

As things stand with the FA signings I think we will see either a OL (if Nelson falls) or a edge rusher (Chubb/Davenport/Edmunds/Landry).

8 hours ago, G08 said:

I honestly don't see why Fangio can't use Edmunds exactly how he used Aldon Smith his rookie year. Just tell him to go get the QB in clear pass rushing situations. As the kid gets more comfortable with the defense, you can start to drop him into coverage, slide him out onto a slot WR, etc.

RE: Fitz... I like the kid. If we draft him I'd start him at nickel immediately (coverage, blitzing, etc) and over time move him all over the field.

I actually think coverage is what Edmunds is already able to do at a solid level. No reason to limit his PT to me.

We all know of the hybrid DBs like Mathieu, but I think he could be one as a LB. Let's say we draft a CB like Ward or Jackson. Start at ILB, then when we go to nickel on obvious downs: 

CB- Amukamara, Rookie, and Callahan (NB)

S - Jackson and Fuller

Amos gets moved up to a LB role like Drone Buchanon, Edmunds pins his ears back and rushes the passer. 

That's a lot of speed on coverage and Edmunds gets to line up on the outside and work on passrushing. When Fangio wants to throw a wrinkle or blitz someone else, Edmunds drops like he normally would. 

16 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think they will target Fitzpatrick for a number of reasons.  One they have both Fuller and Prince coming back, two they like both Amos and Jackson manning the safety positions, and three, Fitz is a tweener without a true position.  Will he play CB will he play S at th enext level?  The talent is there for sure but there are some question marks and bigger needs for this team.

As things stand with the FA signings I think we will see either a OL (if Nelson falls) or a edge rusher (Chubb/Davenport/Edmunds/Landry).

Flip side of that was Leonrd Floyd didn’t have a “true position” coming out of Georgia either. I think CB is one of two positions that will be addressed at 8. Denzel Ward is my #1 guy right now, talking Lattimore-esq impact for our D. 

15 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Kyle Long listed as LG on the Chicago Bears Official website. May be nothing, interesting to note though that Charles Leno Jr was listed as LT, Bobby Massie at RT, Cody Whitehair/Eric Kush listed as OL.

Sounds like they're waiting to see how the draft shakes out with regards to where Whitehair will be playing.

More and more I think we go defense at #8 and interior OL at #39. Makes too much sense.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Sounds like they're waiting to see how the draft shakes out with regards to where Whitehair will be playing.

More and more I think we go defense at #8 and interior OL at #39. Makes too much sense.

I don't have a problem with this per say but I just can't handle a reach pick for a LB who can't rush the passer. 

12 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I don't have a problem with this per say but I just can't handle a reach pick for a LB who can't rush the passer. 

If you look at where the talking heads rank Edmunds, he wouldn't be a reach at all.

16 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Valid point, but Edmunds obviously has the physical skills to rush the passer  and to be moved around the defensive formation and to cover TE's. From what I've read, he wasn't asked to rush the passer much in college. Even if he never becomes a great pass rusher he current skill set should allow other pass rushers to do their job with him cleaning up any mistakes or covering a hot receiver in the flat to make the pass rushers more effective.

Yeah, I'd prefer an elite pass rusher at 8,  but you usually don't expect 'elite pass rusher' to be there at 8 unless they have a serious size or durability issue.  Getting a potential elite ILB who has a good skill set for the modern passing NFL and who might become a good pass rusher is a very good value.

10 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Getting a potential elite ILB who has a good skill set for the modern passing NFL and who might become a good pass rusher is a very good value.

Ding, we have a winner. Especially with being young, teach him how the defense works and stick him in the VR room so he can get looks from different positions. But on game day? Give him the Aldon Smith treatment: See the dude with the ball in his hands -- the QB? Go hit him.

28 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ding, we have a winner. Especially with being young, teach him how the defense works and stick him in the VR room so he can get looks from different positions. But on game day? Give him the Aldon Smith treatment: See the dude with the ball in his hands -- the QB? Go hit him.

My brother and I have started doing mock drafts and then grading our results after year 1 2 and 3 and it's surprisingly how many "can't miss prospects" turn into complete busts. He's a freak of nature which is great but has this guy produced at the college level that we should grab him with the 8th pick? I would much rather take a blue chip "sure thing" (less risk) i.e. Fitzpatrick or Nelson.

10 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

My brother and I have started doing mock drafts and then grading our results after year 1 2 and 3 and it's surprisingly how many "can't miss prospects" turn into complete busts. He's a freak of nature which is great but has this guy produced at the college level that we should grab him with the 8th pick? I would much rather take a blue chip "sure thing" (less risk) i.e. Fitzpatrick or Nelson.

True. Elite skills at the college level kind of level out when these guys reach the NFL where 3rd string OG's can be very good athletes. I'd be more concerned with Edmunds bad college traits I've seen on some film (hesitates, bad angles, doesn't or not asked to be a big pass rusher, etc.), but a lot comes back to that he's 19. My biggest concern with him is that he lacks vision or instincts which can cripple elite physical skills. However, not only does the body of athletes keep developing into their early 20's, but their brains do too. In Texas, he'd still be a junior playing HS football.

His elite athletic ability and youth make me much more willing to take a swing at him at 8 than a 22 year old draftee. A student of the game can compensate for bad vision a bit. A good DC can put a guy in position where his strengths are highlighted and his weaknesses are protected. But no amount of studying or coaching can provide the elite athleticism that Edmunds brings and it's not like he was a hack in college.

51 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yep. If we are going to a risk on a guy, at least have the upside be an elite defender and not just a guy who can be a solid contributor for 10 years. Once we get an elite guy or two then we can draft for solid stability. Until then, swing for the fence.

1 minute ago, 51to54 said:

Yep. If we are going to a risk on a guy, at least have the upside be an elite defender and not just a guy who can be a solid contributor for 10 years. Once we get an elite guy or two then we can draft for solid stability. Until then, swing for the fence.

Remember how awful Christian Jones was early in his career? A couple years with Fangio and he got paid pretty well on the open market. 'Cheese' isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the room, either. I trust Fangio to develop his defenders.

39 minutes ago, G08 said:

Remember how awful Christian Jones was early in his career? A couple years with Fangio and he got paid pretty well on the open market. 'Cheese' isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the room, either. I trust Fangio to develop his defenders.

That is really the most important piece of the puzzle for any of these high upside guys. What does Fangio think? I would assume his vote of confidence would seal the deal.

Archived