Packers sign TE Jimmy Graham

marky mark

Just now, cannondale said:

Of course there are a few exceptions. One being a Hall of Famer in Gonzalez. There are 800 examples of non Hall of Famers who didn't play into their 30's.

I hope he can be a huge threat for us. I just couldn't ignore some stats and the price tag. Risk / reward is not where I'd like it

When you are comparing Graham to players, you have to compare them to one equally as athletically gifted. Graham is a rare breed there. You can't compare him to Todd Heap or Jeremy Shockey and how they aged because he's just flat out in a different stratosphere athletically.

Look at Vernon Davis, as I said, 15 YPC at his 34 year old season. Guy needed more balls last year than Cousins gave him.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

When you are comparing Graham to players, you have to compare them to one equally as athletically gifted. Graham is a rare breed there. You can't compare him to Todd Heap or Jeremy Shockey and how they aged because he's just flat out in a different stratosphere athletically.

Look at Vernon Davis, as I said, 15 YPC at his 34 year old season. Guy needed more balls last year than Cousins gave him.

Graham was at 9 YPC last year

The biggest plus in all this... GB moves the production from the outside that was Jordy, to  inside with Graham.

They have Cobb and Graham to attack the middle of defenses now.

*edit: I also know full well they will likely flex Graham outside a lot. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Not gonna get lost in the YPC weeds here - but SEAs offense was seriously challenged no? Wilson was running for his life. Just a thought.

I'm not buying that excuse as much as others. Elite guys should be elite wherever they are

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Graham was at 9 YPC last year

And on and on the circular argument goes. The main reason for this, as many people have stated ad nauseum, is due to improper utilization in Seattle. You don't have to buy it, but the rebuttal to that had already been posited several times. 

Just now, cannondale said:

I'm not buying that excuse as much as others. Elite guys should be elite wherever they are

Ohhhhhhhh....come on. The point I was making was the guy throwing the ball was "challenged" doing so - so the potentially elite TE was similarly challenged being elite.

59 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

99 for 1172 5 TDs

96 for 1058 10 TDs

83 for 867 6 TDs

Tony Gonzalez age 31, 32 and 33 seasons. Graham isn't done. 

That's fair and all, but Graham has never been that type of player.  Graham is 100% dependent on his athleticism to be a threat.  He hasn't made the late stage Antonio Gates improvements that you'd like to see.

I'm confident he has enough Juice to be very effective, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a much much sharper decline.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

That's fair and all, but Graham has never been that type of player.  Graham is 100% dependent on his athleticism to be a threat.  He hasn't made the late stage Antonio Gates improvements that you'd like to see.

I'm confident he has enough Juice to be very effective, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a much much sharper decline.

Graham was absolutely that type of player in New Orleans.

He's also not 100% dependent on athletic ability, that's just flat out false. He's always leaned on basketball background first and foremost, size, catch radius and using his body to box out and attack the football like a rebound, unless he's shrinking that isn't changing.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Graham was absolutely that type of player in New Orleans.

He's also not 100% dependent on athletic ability, that's just flat out false. He's always leaned on basketball background first and foremost, size, catch radius and attacking the football like a rebound, unless he's shrinking that isn't changing.

There it is......the mysterious NFL shrinking disease the league has been trying to hush up :)

Archived