Packers releasing WR Jordy Nelson

deltarich87

I bet he had to consider it was a possibility when a new GM was hired. Roster shake ups are common with a regime change and Gute talked quite a bit about being aggressive. 

Furthermore, it's not like aren't getting anything in return. We have lost 2 players, gained 3, and moved up in two rounds of the draft. So it's a bit different than the past scenarios you mentioned. 

Def. Would have my pitchfork out if they traded Rodgers... Just don't think anything is particularly dirty/bad about the situation overall. Maybe they should have offered a little more money to come back, idk.. we'll have to see how much he signs for. 

16 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I bet he had to consider it was a possibility when a new GM was hired. Roster shake ups are common with a regime change and Gute talked quite a bit about being aggressive. 

Furthermore, it's not like aren't getting anything in return. We have lost 2 players, gained 3, and moved up in two rounds of the draft. So it's a bit different than the past scenarios you mentioned. 

Def. Would have my pitchfork out if they traded Rodgers... Just don't think anything is particularly dirty/bad about the situation overall. Maybe they should have offered a little more money to come back, idk.. we'll have to see how much he signs for. 

We're getting some cap space we needed in return. I love how nobody else is expressing their gratitude towards the fact that we made two significant leaps in the draft where we can get better quality depth at certain positions at the worst and got rid of a player that was being played out of position if you really look at it; not to mention that he was an absolute diva this past year, banged up, and wasn't going to be a fit in Pettine's defensive scheme.

I am pretty sure Jordy Nelson knew the risks of signing the contract with GB that at some point he could be released if his play slipped below a certain level.  

He and his agent had better not be that naive in knowing that this is how the NFL works.  

Am I disappointed that Nelson is likely not playing for GB in 2018....absolutely.  BUT I have seen many other GB Packers come and go....no player is bigger than the team.  

My understanding is that Jordy took those so-called "hometown discounts" in exchange for long-term financial security, rather than taking the risk of playing out his current contracts and getting hurt or having a bad season, which would have reduced his asking price. In other words, it was a business decision just like any other. Am I wrong about that? 

3 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

My understanding is that Jordy took those so-called "hometown discounts" in exchange for long-term financial security, rather than taking the risk of playing out his current contracts and getting hurt or having a bad season, which would have reduced his asking price. In other words, it was a business decision just like any other. Am I wrong about that? 

Not at all.  Nelson and his agent knew the options and made a voluntary choice to accept the terms of the contract that was signed.  

42 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because Thompson was the GM and everything he did was wrong.

Give it 2 years. There will be turds all over this forum lining up to buy that .com site from you.

Sweet. I'm not even that irritated with that trade and this as much as I am the reaction. I hate biases. It's like half the reason I post is to shame them. TBH this is how it should typically be. But the new guy is gonna get a free pass because nobody could be worse than the old guy. You can't hate the last one and criticize the new one it seems. You have to pretend it's perfect it Ted will come back lol

42 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Okay when we cut sitton after we signed Brooks. I can play that game. We got something then too?

We got cap space that helped us sign guys. I'm admitting that. I don't actually care we got nothing. I didn't even think of it until a bit ago. But I'm convinced if the old guy was in charge this thread would have a lot more comments wondering how we got nothing. 

It's like I said, everything is upside down right now lol

Edit. My timeline was wrong. Whoops

59 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So we can do Cobb dirty but not Nelson?

Cobb was offered 13m per by Oakland and took 10 to stay in GB. You can't cut a player like that.

Also, it was reported that Nelson was willing to restructure, but ended up false.  I have to agree, Nelson was the logical choice.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Okay when we cut sitton after we signed Brooks. I can play that game. We got something then too?

We got cap space that helped us sign guys. I'm admitting that. I don't actually care we got nothing. I didn't even think of it until a bit ago. But I'm convinced if the old guy was in charge this thread would have a lot more comments wondering how we got nothing. 

It's like I said, everything is upside down right now lol

Well I would join you on mocking those people in that case lol. Idk how anybody could say we got nothing no matter who is in charge but ya I get your point lol.

Sitton cutting was weird timing and I think he was in his final year of his contract wasn't he? I know at the time I had no idea who the hell lane Taylor was lol so I definitely bashed that one. Can't get em all right. Fair point. 

I'm optimistic because I think in a lot of ways, Gute's move have made sense. I like the Kizer trade but ultimately will judge that on who he replaces Randall with. If they don't do anything there then criticism should be dumped on Gute. 

Think the other two moves were cap well spent imo, considering the cost of the top corners and wr's. 

I'd be lying too if I didn't say I liked the excitement of all the signings and trades too lol. But I think to support much of what has been done so far is justified. 

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've definitely read people say we did him dirty...

Which we didn't. At all.

I can be your best friend for twenty years and always pick up the check. Then bang your wife one day. It isn't offset by the twenty preceding years.

I'm not comparing that to this, but the fact he made money here doesn't make it impossible to do something ****ty to him. That's all I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I can be your best friend for twenty years and always pick up the check. Then bang your wife one day. It isn't offset by the twenty preceding years.

I'm not comparing that to this, but the fact he made money here doesn't make it impossible to do something ****ty to him. That's all I'm saying.

The potential is definitely there, maybe they told Jordy they would restructure or cut Cobb and he was all set cheerio. Then blam, he's cut. Fair enough. Maybe we would hear if that happened idk. 

Archived