Elway restructures Von's 2018 salary

Broncofan

I don’t really get this unless you’re planning to haul in a difference maker with that money. Local beats seem to suggest it’s a little extra to sign a middling RT and TE though. Unless there’s a trade in the works for an impact player with a sizable cap hit, this seems like a very short-sighted move spawning from an unrealistic evaluation of what I view as a pretty poor roster. Those 2019-2021 cap hits for Von are gross.

31 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Signing Keenum only to trade Von Miller would be counter productive.  In signing Keenum Denver is saying they’re wanting to compete this year and not rebuild.

I agree depending on what we got. Can edmunds and that boise State guy pass rush? That would be a great pair. 

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Plz explain, interested to hear why.

Because the contract is only 2 years and Keenum is 30 years old. Not the future.

FO thinks the 1.5 draft will be the future. It is not often you have a draft loaded at QB like this and having a choice at 5 is a great opportunity.

Josh Allen is not ready , Mayfield is suspect cause not play the same offense that Pro team runs..........

You cannot go to the draft with no QB (or Lynch and Kelly) to lead the offense. If you miss Rosen or Darnold who are the most ready QBs , you have the same problem than last year.

Cutting Keenum next season is not a plan he will be the backup.

3 minutes ago, French Fan said:

Because the contract is only 2 years and Keenum is 30 years old. Not the future.

FO thinks the 1.5 draft will be the future. It is not often you have a draft loaded at QB like this and having a choice at 5 is a great opportunity.

Josh Allen is not ready , Mayfield is suspect cause not play the same offense that Pro team runs..........

You cannot go to the draft with no QB (or Lynch and Kelly) to lead the offense. If you miss Rosen or Darnold who are the most ready QBs , you have the same problem than last year.

Cutting Keenum next season is not a plan he will be the backup.

I get all of those reasons - I just don't know why Von's restructure changes the thinking to the above scenario.  All of your reasons cited were there before Von got restructured.  Curious to hear the reasoning why this news gives more weight to 1.5 going QB.

5 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If we have Von counting $25m against the cap from 2019-2021, that probably means you aren’t paying a lot of money to your starting QB. 

I like your thinking.  I hope Elway feels that way lol.  

Archived