Where does John Lynch rank among GMs?

Elky

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Overall, I very much enjoy Lynch. He doesn't seem ego-driven, he works well with others, and he's a great face for the franchise. I thought that was the role that would be the most important for the franchise, because Kyle came with the reputation of being arrogant (which he hasn't been in the slightest so far). I think he's a good influence and a good presence for the entire team. He doesn't seem to be the type who will impose his decisions because he thinks he knows better (a la Baalke). His job has been to deliver Kyle the player he wants. So, really, if there's "blame" to be given for some additions, some of it would go to Kyle anyway. It's Kyle who wanted Hoyer and Garçon, for example. Kyle also asked for Beathard and Joe Williams during the draft. We can also assume trading for Kapri Bibb was heavily influenced by his assistant he poached from the Broncos, and the trade for Laken Tomlinson was heavily influenced by the assistant he poached from the Lions. Sure, he has the last word, but it's a collaborative effort. We really don't know who pounded the table for whom, all we could say about the situation is that maybe Lynch can defer to others a little too much, but we don't really know. So overall, I think he has been doing a good job. 

He and I don't see eye to eye on how to handle free agency, that much I know (depending on how much of that you feel is Lynch). But I do agree that he's a great face of the franchise and seems to be very open to people. Agree that it's really hard to gauge which person has influence in which situations. Definitely feels like a lot of collaboration at this point, and I think Kyle has a huge say in the people we end up targeting. So I don't know, maybe it's just Shanny I don't agree with in that regard. Whoever it is, I disagree with the things we have done in free agency lol. 

4 hours ago, rudyZ said:

He's referring to Lynch's evaluation of Foster, not the value of the pick. Lynch said that he was prepared to take him at 3 if Thomas was taken. So technically, Lynch's evaluation of Foster, as far as we know, is that of a top 5 pick, which is questionable. 

This exactly. For all we know, that was just coach-speak. But I have no choice but to take it at face value.

So far so good, but like others have said, lets give it some time. I think one of the best things he has done is hire Adam Peters and trust him in player personnel. The draft was basically all Peters evaluation along with the occasional Shanny influence on Beathard/Williams...Two sort of suspect trade ups btw. 

If Garoppolo ends up being the real deal like most of us think he is, then that will go a long way in determining both Lynch's and Shanny's tenures. That trade was a gift from Belichick, but Lynch did lay the ground work trying to trade for Garoppolo during the combine last year.

Foster was absolutely one of the best talents in the draft and will be a Pro Bowler and All Pro type of player for years to come....as long as he stays out of trouble. But that is a big question mark at this point and Lynch sure didn't think much of the off the field issues in rating him as high as he did. It will be interesting to see how Lynch approaches future drafts. Maybe he was naive in overlooking that character risk and changes his drafting style? Or maybe he continues taking on high risk/high reward players. But there is a fine line there and he has to be careful there. 

Even though I think it is more Shanny than Lynch, paying Juice Check and McKinnon 54 million is interesting to say the least. Lynch does seem to give Shanny a lot of say in the offensive moves whether it be in the draft or free agency. Smart or dumb? Don't think Shanny's choice of wanting to trade up for Beathard/Williams looks good in hindsight, and time will tell if Juice Check and McKinnon will be worth the big deals they got. 

Like Forge or Rudy said, he doesn't seem to have a big ego and is willing to rely on others. That is something Baalke was unwilling to do. Again though, WAY too early to rank him. If he has another good draft and Jimmy G lights it up again? Then he will on his way to being one of the best GMs in the game. 

On 3/15/2018 at 5:55 PM, Forge said:

Faaaaaaaaaaaaar too early to give him any sort of grade or compare. Is he doing better than people probably thought he would when he was hired? Sure. But even Trent Baalke looked good for 2 years. 

This pretty much. He looked like a genius trading down last year and made solid moves but its been just 1 year

Archived