Where does John Lynch rank among GMs?

Elky

29 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

His Reuben Foster evaluation left a bad taste in my mouth. Still is. Lets see how this draft goes.

What? Why? Foster was a beast. Risk / reward at the bottom of the first with the character issues. Players with character issues get drafted much higher

It’s too early to tell. So far so good. I agree that Foster isn’t looking so good and signing Jimmy G to the second highest paid QB contract with only 7 starts under his belt is risky. Even the selection of Thomas last year hasn’t been everything people thought it would be. The only things we can say is the signing of Garcon looks very good and getting that trade for Jimmy G and the Bears in the draft were nice. We will also see how the Sherman signing turns out too. So again it’s too early to tell but so far so good in terms of the direction he wants to Niners to go. Great hire of Shannahan too. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Faaaaaaaaaaaaar too early to give him any sort of grade or compare. Is he doing better than people probably thought he would when he was hired? Sure. But even Trent Baalke looked good for 2 years. 

This pretty much.

13 hours ago, cddolphin said:

A lot of people scoffed when SF hired Lynch due to his inexperienced, but so far he's been doing a pretty good job, especially when you consider the draft picks and cap space Sashi left for him.

13 hours ago, cddolphin said:

FTFY

Trent Baalke***?

IMO, it takes AT LEAST 5 years to really accurately judge a GM.

I like what he is doing early on, but there have been numerous GMs to have early success that went downhill quickly.      Not saying that will happen to Lynch....just echoing the sentiment that its way too early to judge.   

15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

IMO, it takes AT LEAST 5 years to really accurately judge a GM.

Coming in to say this. We'll see how he does if a player holds out, what his draft picks turn into (Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster aren't looking that great so far) and how that Jimmy G looks in year 3-4 of that mega deal...

IMO, the ability to find and develop a franchise QB is what LARGELY makes or breaks NOT JUST GMs, but head coaches as well.

QBs are so vital to success in todays league.   Yes, you have teams who occasionally have good seasons with average QBs, but its not a formula for sustainable success.    

Obviously, poor drafting or team building in other areas can hurt a coach, but IMO there is no single flaw that can doom a GM more than not being able to find a QB. 

And Lynch looks like he may have hit the jackpot early on, so....good for him.      However, cant crown Garroppolo just yet either.....unless we are casting for best looking NFL player....in which case he is second behind Terrell Suggs. 

On 2018-03-15 at 8:15 PM, Forge said:

What? Why? Foster was a beast. Risk / reward at the bottom of the first with the character issues. Players with character issues get drafted much higher

He's referring to Lynch's evaluation of Foster, not the value of the pick. Lynch said that he was prepared to take him at 3 if Thomas was taken. So technically, Lynch's evaluation of Foster, as far as we know, is that of a top 5 pick, which is questionable. 

Overall, I very much enjoy Lynch. He doesn't seem ego-driven, he works well with others, and he's a great face for the franchise. I thought that was the role that would be the most important for the franchise, because Kyle came with the reputation of being arrogant (which he hasn't been in the slightest so far). I think he's a good influence and a good presence for the entire team. He doesn't seem to be the type who will impose his decisions because he thinks he knows better (a la Baalke). His job has been to deliver Kyle the player he wants. So, really, if there's "blame" to be given for some additions, some of it would go to Kyle anyway. It's Kyle who wanted Hoyer and Garçon, for example. Kyle also asked for Beathard and Joe Williams during the draft. We can also assume trading for Kapri Bibb was heavily influenced by his assistant he poached from the Broncos, and the trade for Laken Tomlinson was heavily influenced by the assistant he poached from the Lions. Sure, he has the last word, but it's a collaborative effort. We really don't know who pounded the table for whom, all we could say about the situation is that maybe Lynch can defer to others a little too much, but we don't really know. So overall, I think he has been doing a good job. 

Archived