Raiders Sign CB Rashaan Melvin

RaidersAreOne

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Just has to show he wasn't a 1 year wonder. Consistency is key. Ball out, get us a 3rd round comp pick lol

He didn't exactly come out of nowhere. He showed big strides as a starting caliber corner in 2016. I think he'll be a top 25-30 corner for the next 2-3 years.

I for one would still be super down to take Ward at #10 (if he is there). We can go from one of the oldest, overpaid and worst CB corp to one of the youngest, cheapest and best in one season:

Smith, Amerson and Carrie

Vs.

Melvin, Conley and Ward

Sign me up.

Edit: Barring Conley comes back 100% and Melvin doesn't go down.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I for one would still be super down to take Ward at #10 (if he is there). We can go from one of the oldest, overpaid and worst CB corp to one of the youngest, cheapest and best in one season:

Smith, Amerson and Carrie

Vs.

Melvin, Conley and Ward

Sign me up.

Edit: Barring Conley comes back 100% and Melvin doesn't go down.

I'd be all for going for Ward at 10 (although, I still would prefer a trade back).

There's still plenty of trepidation with the group as it stands. Look past Melvin and Conley -- both players who've been injured in the past -- and there's not much there. I also wasn't as high as consensus on Conley he remains a bit of a question mark for me as well.

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I also wasn't as high as consensus on Conley he remains a bit of a question mark for me as well.

I find this surprising tbh. Conley was such a good CB prospect. Some (not many though) had him above Lattimore. He would have been an even higher pick had he not been wrongly accused. The kid is going to very, very good.

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Melvin is better and the structure of amerson's contract isn't hurting us now.

There is no evidence Melvin is better. He has one year of production. He could peak just like Amerson did. That said, I certainly like his attitude and grit a lot more. 

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

There is no evidence Melvin is better. He has one year of production. He could peak just like Amerson did. That said, I certainly like his attitude and grit a lot more. 

True, you may be right, hence the one year deal. Still, I have a good feeling about him and everyone here coveted him way before he signed.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

There is plenty of evidence that suggests Melvin is a better player than Amerson. I look at free agents just like I do draft prospects, and Melvin shows traits Amerson never had. Melvin excels in press man and has a highly effective jam and does both at a higher level than Amerson ever did. He's also has superior change of direction and is much more involved against the run. 

Archived