All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

In hindsight, this probably was never a good thing. It just shows you how unbalanced the offense was earlier in the year.

Hard to call it unbalanced with the results produced by Diggs and Thielen. Getting the ball into the hands of your two of your best playmakers seems like a good thing. But that’s just me. 

Diggs and Thielen are accounting for 51.8% of the targets. Seems like a pretty good ratio for two #1 caliber receivers. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Hard to call it unbalanced with the results produced by Diggs and Thielen. Getting the ball into the hands of your two of your best playmakers seems like a good thing. But that’s just me. 

Diggs and Thielen are accounting for 51.8% of the targets. Seems like a pretty good ratio for two #1 caliber receivers. 

We've yet to see a third receiver step up outside of the occasional Robinson deep shot. Would help Thielen out because he hasn't been involved the last month.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

We've yet to see a third receiver step up outside of the occasional Robinson deep shot. Would help Thielen out because he hasn't been involved the last month.

Well, how often is a 3rd receiver in the top several progressions.  I think, more often than not, Treadwell and/or Robinson would probably be the 5th option behind Diggs, Thielen, the RB (Cook, Murray) and the TE (Rudolph/Conklin).  

38 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, how often is a 3rd receiver in the top several progressions.  I think, more often than not, Treadwell and/or Robinson would probably be the 5th option behind Diggs, Thielen, the RB (Cook, Murray) and the TE (Rudolph/Conklin).  

Rudolph as the third receiver is on the field often. Just wish he'd have a more meaningful role to help out Diggs and Thielen. If Thielen is seeing so much coverage to his side, I don't know if that's true or just a talking point, you'd like to see Rudolph get open and take advantage of the opportunity. Besides OL, I think TE is a need for the offense.

Maybe I missed the discussion, but I’m surprised there hasn’t been more backlash on Treadwell’s performance this year. He’s been completely ineffective. 

The Vikings haven’t been able to get any production from the WR3 spot despite teams double and triple covering Thielen and Diggs. Robinson has been good on deep shots but for whatever reason JDF hardly used him on early downs, even though Treadwell wasn’t getting targets. Compounding the mistake, JDF kept putting Cousins in shotgun with 3WR formations, unlike Shurmur last year using 2 TEs or a FB more often and running the ball a lot on early downs to keep defenses from keying on the 2 star WRs. 

The decision to release Jarius Wright only made sense if Treadwell was going to step up this year. He didn’t. He’s not even a good run blocker.

The cap savings will be minimal, but they should release him heading into next year. 

4 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Maybe I missed the discussion, but I’m surprised there hasn’t been more backlash on Treadwell’s performance this year. He’s been completely ineffective. 

Perhaps there isn't any discussion about it because everyone on the forum would agree 100% with your assessment.  Hard to make a case for keeping him.  Most discussion happens when the forum is divided over an issue.  Possibly we've been disappointed for so long, we just don't want to reopen a first round bust wound again.

What do you think about Aldrick Robinson?  Should he be getting more time as the third receiver?  Can he run short routes?  The only time I seem him targeted is a deep pass to the end zone where he is trying to outrun the DB.

33 minutes ago, Krauser said:

The Vikings haven’t been able to get any production from the WR3 spot despite teams double and triple covering Thielen and Diggs. Robinson has been good on deep shots but for whatever reason JDF hardly used him on early downs, even though Treadwell wasn’t getting targets. Compounding the mistake, JDF kept putting Cousins in shotgun with 3WR formations, unlike Shurmur last year using 2 TEs or a FB more often and running the ball a lot on early downs to keep defenses from keying on the 2 star WRs. 

The decision to release Jarius Wright only made sense if Treadwell was going to step up this year. He didn’t. He’s not even a good run blocker.

The cap savings will be minimal, but they should release him heading into next year. 

I think most have just assumed that Treadwell is playing in his last year as a Viking. He probably should have been released earlier in the year. 

Archived