Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

Non of these QB's have run Bates' WCO offense. So, it'll be a learning process for all of them. We are all guessing to which ones will translate to the Jets. 

Nice article by Mark Schoefield on best QB fits. Ironically for Mayfield, he ran an exact play the Jets ran last year. It was really cool to see that. 

One thing we have to remember is that more NFL offenses are incorporating Air Raid concepts in their philosophies. So, this idea that college offenses are not deemed  NFL offenses is changing. 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/06/schofield-best-nfl-landing-spots-for-top-5-qb-draft-prospects/ar9xzu/

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Don't want to start the argument chain, so we'll leave it at hopefully agreeing that there's a larger learning curve for Mayfield, but from a pure skillset perspective, his skills translate to an NFL offense.

Sounds good. Trust me I’ll be cheering like no other for him if we draft him. I will just think the pick is awful if Rosen is on the board and we take Mayfield over Rosen.

Not sure how many follow Mark Schoefield but he has done some great work on these QB's. For what it's worth to the debate ya'll just had, he does say this in the article I posted "Mayfield might not have the schematic diversity of, say, Josh Rosen, but an offense like this is the ideal situation for him as a quarterback." He was referring to the Jets offense from last year by the way. 

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Not sure how many follow Mark Schoefield but he has done some great work on these QB's. For what it's worth to the debate ya'll just had, he does say this in the article I posted "Mayfield might not have the schematic diversity of, say, Josh Rosen, but an offense like this is the ideal situation for him as a quarterback." He was referring to the Jets offense from last year by the way. 

For starters we don’t even know exactly what offense we will be running since we have a new OC in Bates. I’d imagine it’d have a lot of what we ran last year incorporated... but not exactly the same. I expect whatever offense we run to be rather simple bc of a rookie and even Bridgewater as new additions. I think more adjustments need to be made for Mayfield to succeed in any offense than that of Rosen. And Schoefield says that as well. Rosen is about as ready as it gets for a college QB going to the NFL.

19 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Solid thread today I see

This is an extremely polarizing QB class because there isn't a unanimous pecking order.  Literally, nobody agrees. There's no doubt in mind that some of these NFL franchises have personnel staff at each others throats. This forum very well may be a microcosm of what is going on in the Cleveland, NYJ, NYG, BUF, MIA, ARI, DEN, you name it front office. 

You also have 3 polarizing QB's in Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen. The debates won't end for another year or two. It may go on even longer. 

System fit is all about projection. Based on what we know, Baker projects to be an exclusive fit for a WCO/spread style offense. There is nothing wrong with that, but I prefer cerebral QBs that allow you to incorporate variables from all types of offenses, as the Patriots, Colts/Broncos, Falcons, Eagles do. 

18 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

That’s how it should be structured honestly 

True.  That's why I am hopeful the Jets will make the right decision. Bates, Bowles, Macc and Dinger have all been going to these pro days, etc. Even CJ was at the combine. Pure speculation but I doubt they all agree. 

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

System fit is all about projection. Based on what we know, Baker projects to be an exclusive fit for a WCO/spread style offense. There is nothing wrong with that, but I prefer cerebral QBs that allow you to incorporate variables from all types of offenses, as the Patriots, Colts/Broncos, Falcons, Eagles do. 

I think just because he fits better into that system doesn't mean he can't excel in others.  His all around ability makes him a cerebral type QB.  I just don't understand what he's lacking that he can't play in other systems.  He can make all the throws, is deadly accurate, is accurate under pressure, can throw on the run, goes through reads, is smart (see testing scores), and has the will to be great.  I mean Rosen has a lot of those things too but I just don't get the hate for this guy.  He projects to be a possibly great NFL QB.

5 hours ago, SDotNova said:

This is a very good quote

If the  Macc & Bowles Jets feel as though Baker Mayfield is the best QB to run their offense, then that is the QB they are going to draft

When you do your job, are you going going to incorporate and run things that work better for you or for the guy who may replace you years down the line? It's the same thing.

Check out Benjamin Allbright's recent tweets.

Said he's been told if Rosen doesn't go 2 or 5, he will fall.

Said Baker is fully a Jet. Said Rosen was actually never an option & that the Jets had it ranked Darnold #1, Baker #2 & Allen #3.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/984890327743057920

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/984894253531844608

look at the replies from ^ OptimumScouting. He & Benjamin basically conversing about it.

1 minute ago, DowNY said:

Check out Benjamin Allbright's recent tweets.

Said he's been told if Rosen doesn't go 2 or 5, he will fall.

Said Baker is fully a Jet. Said Rosen was actually never an option & that the Jets had it ranked Darnold #1, Baker #2 & Allen #3.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/984890327743057920

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/984894253531844608

look at the replies from ^ OptimumScouting. He & Benjamin basically conversing about it.

If this Rosen bit has any truth to it, it smells like Woody Johnson.

Archived