Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

2 hours ago, Bianconero said:

This is interesting

There isn't a causality in regards to success here. What he fails to mention is that there was a significant shift in philosophy in 2008-09. In the early 2000s - and long before that - it was very popular to sit and develop a QB prior to throwing them into the lineup. The 2006-2007 were two of the more underwhelming QB classes that had extremely high expectations, especially coming off the 2004-2005 classes, and the 2008 class created a ripple effect throughout the league when Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco came in and immediately helped their teams get to the playoffs. Owners knew that the "future franchise QB" sold tickets and teams became less patient, forcing the QBs into the lineup. Mark Sanchez just furthered the narrative, and it became the new way of treating the QB position up until recently, where teams seem to be prepared to go back to letting QBs sit and develop again after experiencing the kind of harm forcing a QB into the lineup can do for their franchise.  

Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes may very well break this trend, and I expect that one or two QBs to come out of this draft class will as well. 

I strongly think the top 4 picks will all be QB.

1. Clev  - Sam Darnald

2. Giants trade with Denver (Denver gives up pick 5, 2nd round 2018 and first round 2019, Second round 2019) Denver takes Josh Rosen

3. Jets take Baker Mayfield. He is flying under the radar and I think he will be the best QB.

4. Browns trade with Bills for Bills 2 first round picks in 2018. Bills take Josh Allen. 

Lamar Jackson falls out of the first round. 

3 hours ago, Bianconero said:

This is interesting

It would be interesting to know if there's a difference in bust rate before and after this say 2000 or so. What this statement doesn't answer is if those QB's who were bust, would they have succeeded if they were just giving time to adjust. David Carr comes to mind. Would he have been successful had he not been sent out their so early? 

Also, there are a lot of QB's that didn't start right away that developed. Brady, Rodgers, Cousins come to mind.

I think this speaks more to NFL Franchises than it does to the best way to develop QB's. NFL Franchises want to see their first round picks play right away. There's zero patients now.

Came up with an analogy of why I'm so worried the Jets will draft Allen. 

Here goes:   Thinking Allen will become Big Ben is like thinking a B student at a below average high school is going to be an A student when he goes to an Ivy League School. 

While I think Allen will be fine in the NFL (as in below to average starter), I can't see him all of sudden being elite. He wasn't elite against mid level competition. I think there's a chance because he hasn't been exposed to good coaching but, you are really going out on a limb thinking he is going to be elite when he hasn't shown that at any level to this point.

56 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Came up with an analogy of why I'm so worried the Jets will draft Allen. 

Here goes:   Thinking Allen will become Big Ben is like thinking a B student at a below average high school is going to be an A student when he goes to an Ivy League School. 

While I think Allen will be fine in the NFL (as in below to average starter), I can't see him all of sudden being elite. He wasn't elite against mid level competition. I think there's a chance because he hasn't been exposed to good coaching but, you are really going out on a limb thinking he is going to be elite when he hasn't shown that at any level to this point.

Fair I guess I just feel like he could be elite with time won’t be right away but definitely could be. I think he does have pocket presence and understanding of the game and his team wasn’t like usc or UCLA with talent on par or above almost everyone they played 

19 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Like the article states it doesn’t take into consideration off the field issues and attitude. And I feel that’s what most who dislike Mayfield don’t like as well as his size. I don’t think ever heard anyone say he makes poor decisions, has a weak arm or is inaccurate. It’s what I stated above.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like the article states it doesn’t take into consideration off the field issues and attitude. And I feel that’s what most who dislike Mayfield don’t like as well as his size. I don’t think ever heard anyone say he makes poor decisions, has a weak arm or is inaccurate. It’s what I stated above.

It's worth noting though.  

19 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m not sure why but I have this strong feeling we are going to regret passing on Mayfield one day

Unless we take Broadway Baker. The plot thickens.

I go back and forth between him and Rosen on who I want the Jets to take. 

Just now, mattmanz91 said:

If Rosen, Allen and Mayfield are available when we pick and we go Mayfield is anyone upset olabout it? I'd be fine with it.

Slightly but not really, he's my number 2 QB in the class and I think him and Rosen are right there although I give a slight edge to Rosen.

22 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Slightly but not really, he's my number 2 QB in the class and I think him and Rosen are right there although I give a slight edge to Rosen.

I agree. However, I feel like initially I would be upset because Rosen just fits our team perfectly. From offensive scheme, to coaches, to NYC, it's just a match made in heaven. 

Another point I wanted to make. So Rosen's pro comp to me is Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan had his MVP season under Kyle Shanahan and they ran a west coast type offense. Bates is of the Shanahan school as well. Would just make so much sense. Can ease him in this year and next year just load him up with weapons and protection with all of the cap room we have. As I continue to talk, I'd be upset if it were anyone but #TheRosenOne

Archived