Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

1 minute ago, KBS756 said:

I think the main thing that’s the problem with how mayfield is being discussed is the fact he’d be a lot higher if he was an inch and a half taller. 

But given his height he’s gonna have to adjust to the nfl game in that he’s gonna have to learn to find his windows like Brees 

his 2 comps would be Brees and russel Wilson 

brees finds windows and knows how to find them (slots to throw from I mean) ... Wilson he’s always running and playmaking ... mayfield is nowhere near as fast

His O line isn't gonna be any bigger in the NFL than it was in OU.  He had no probably throwing around/over those guys.  I didn't go through and count them up in ever game (though i did in a few) and just subjectively he didn't have any more batted balls than any of the other guys.  In fact, after watching every game of all of these guys many times, I wouldn't be surprised if he had the lease.  Size for a QB means more to me in terms of being durable and being able to take hits, and he weighed about the same as Rosen, a few pounds off Darnold, and obviously about 20lbs less than Allen who is huge.

27 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

I think the main thing that’s the problem with how mayfield is being discussed is the fact he’d be a lot higher if he was an inch and a half taller. 

But given his height he’s gonna have to adjust to the nfl game in that he’s gonna have to learn to find his windows like Brees 

his 2 comps would be Brees and russel Wilson 

brees finds windows and knows how to find them (slots to throw from I mean) ... Wilson he’s always running and playmaking ... mayfield is nowhere near as fast

That's something Chad said when comparing the QBs. He said  Mayfield is the best pure passer in the draft but he Needs to be put in the right situation giving his smaller stature. I took that to mean put in a situation like Brees. That'll be Mayfields learning curve. The Saints seem to be pretty interested in Mayfield ironically. When he was put on the white board and giving a wco concept, he called out the saints for teaching him that.

9 hours ago, rampantjet said:

His O line isn't gonna be any bigger in the NFL than it was in OU.  He had no probably throwing around/over those guys.  I didn't go through and count them up in ever game (though i did in a few) and just subjectively he didn't have any more batted balls than any of the other guys.  In fact, after watching every game of all of these guys many times, I wouldn't be surprised if he had the lease.  Size for a QB means more to me in terms of being durable and being able to take hits, and he weighed about the same as Rosen, a few pounds off Darnold, and obviously about 20lbs less than Allen who is huge.

It’s not the OLine that’s the only issue it’s how big and athletic the dlineman are to knock down his passes. I also don’t like the 2 comparisons for him. Just bc of his height he shouldn’t even be even close to being discussed with names like Brees and Wilson. Brees is an elite passer. And Wilson is WAY more athletic. I don’t honk he can ever get to either of there levels. Hence why I say he has the lowest ceiling of the bunch. A starting point to what Mayfield might be is an less athletic version of Taylor.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s not the OLine that’s the only issue it’s how big and athletic the dlineman are to knock down his passes. I also don’t like the 2 comparisons for him. Just bc of his height he shouldn’t even be even close to being discussed with names like Brees and Wilson. Brees is an elite passer. And mayfield is WAY more athletic. I don’t honk he can ever get to either of there levels. Hence why I say he has the lowest ceiling of the bunch. A starting point to what Mayfield might be is an less athletic version of Taylor.

Kind of unfair to compare a guy coming out of college right now whose future we don't know to 2 guys that are on pace to be HOFer's already and we know it.  At this point in his football life though he is clearly rated ahead of those guys since they were a 2nd and a 3rd rounder and Baker is mostly being talked about as a top 10 guy.  Seems to me like his ceiling is at least the same.  No one would have said Brees or Russell would be as good as they are right now or they would have been the #1 pick.

28 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Kind of unfair to compare a guy coming out of college right now whose future we don't know to 2 guys that are on pace to be HOFer's already and we know it.  At this point in his football life though he is clearly rated ahead of those guys since they were a 2nd and a 3rd rounder and Baker is mostly being talked about as a top 10 guy.  Seems to me like his ceiling is at least the same.  No one would have said Brees or Russell would be as good as they are right now or they would have been the #1 pick.

It’s an unfair comp but just comparing what players of similar stature had to do in the nfl to be successful. Is he more athletic than Brees ? Sure but he’s nowhere near Russell. And it’s really clear that Brees does have to play his game adjusting for his height and is really good at it. But it’s sometbing he did have to work on and overcome. 

Didnt quote him but someone just said his o lineman were plenty big and he threw over them ... it’s the defense he’s playing that I’d be more worried about getting their hands up in passing lanes 

but other than that adjustment and the fact he’s not as athletic as I hoped I do love baker as a prospect

This over ANALYZATION of all the different QB's in the draft is getting crazy. We have no idea what QB is going to be there when we pick at # 3. Leave it up to Mac he knows all there is to know about all the different QB's in the draft. Picking apart every QB's weak points is nuts, try talking about their strong points. I am sure Mac will pick the best available QB at three.  Have at great Easter OR Rosh Hashanah.

15 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

-Colt McCoy

-Kellen Moore

-Fran Tarkenton

-Johnny U

Fran Tarkenton & Jonhy Unitas are nothing like Mayfield. Unitas was strictly a pocket passer with a fantastic arm, and a very quiet guy. Tarkenton was one if not the best scrambling QB's of all times, he also had a strong arm. There is no comparison at all of Mayfield to these two great QB's.

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Fran Tarkenton & Jonhy Unitas are nothing like Mayfield. Unitas was strictly a pocket passer with a fantastic arm, and a very quiet guy. Tarkenton was one if not the best scrambling QB's of all times, he also had a strong arm. There is no comparison at all of Mayfield to these two great QB's.

It goes with the theme of QBs who are nothing alike except for being under 6’2”

I’m now scared we’re gonna end up with Rosen ... he’ll get a couple more concussions and quit on us... didn’t realize he was in concussion protocol over a month the last one 

1. Darnold 

2. Allen (either giants take him or trade out to someone who does)

3. Rosen 

6 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

You know what makes it easier? Not minding if we land Rosen, Darnold, Allen or Mayfield. There's more than plenty to like about them all and just be grateful the Jets are potentially addressing the QB position.

I’m at the point where I don’t mind if we land any of the other 3 just don’t draft Rosen 

prefer Allen but don’t think he even makes it to us

Archived