Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. Can see moves like that for them. They also might be looking into mid round RBs. They lost Lewis and Burkhead I believe. They didn't like Gilislee last year that much and White is a 3rd Down guy for them. I can see them using a mid rounder on a guy.

They kept Burkehead.  We are gonna have no idea what BB is going to do but it is usually something unexpected.  All i know is that I will cry if the Pats seemlessly get another franchise QB.

11 hours ago, rampantjet said:

They kept Burkehead.  We are gonna have no idea what BB is going to do but it is usually something unexpected.  All i know is that I will cry if the Pats seemlessly get another franchise QB.

Remember guys the Pats don't draft that well either. They have missed on a lot of QB like Rohand Davie, Brian Hoyer, Kevin O'Conner to name a few. I think the pats do most of there damage after the draft and the second and third wave of FA.

I still hope we get Baker Mayfield. I like him so much better than Rosen. Rosen looks like to me as a Andy Dalton type of guy. Might get you to the playoffs but will never win. 

The Pats traded Cook because he was in the last year of his contract and they were going to lose him since they don't pay WR's. He is likely going to get something around $17-$20 mil per year. They got good value for him.

I think people are reading way to much into what the Pats did. It is not in BB M.O. to trade up in the first round. I think they will get a QB either with 1 of their first round picks or 1 of their second round picks. Likely a guy like Lauletta, Falk, Rudolph. Those guys are good and would be good developmental guys for them. But for them to be building draft stock to trade up for Rosen or another QB in the top 5, nah. 

Keep in mind, BB usually drafts senior QB's. Look at his draft history, I think only 1 QB out of 9 was not a senior. That non Senior QB was Ryan Mallet.

28 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The Pats traded Cook because he was in the last year of his contract and they were going to lose him since they don't pay WR's. He is likely going to get something around $17-$20 mil per year. They got good value for him.

I think people are reading way to much into what the Pats did. It is not in BB M.O. to trade up in the first round. I think they will get a QB either with 1 of their first round picks or 1 of their second round picks. Likely a guy like Lauletta, Falk, Rudolph. Those guys are good and would be good developmental guys for them. But for them to be building draft stock to trade up for Rosen or another QB in the top 5, nah. 

Keep in mind, BB usually drafts senior QB's. Look at his draft history, I think only 1 QB out of 9 was not a senior. That non Senior QB was Ryan Mallet.

Like someone said though, if there’s a perfect successor to Brady, it’s Rosen. No doubt if he went to New England and stayed healthy he would kill it. 

Dont think they have the ammo to do it though. To get to 2 would cost them an astronomical amount if the Giants didn’t even want to move back to 12.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

The patriots have too many needs on both offense and defense to make a move up for a top QB. It’s the bills we mainly need to worry about IMO

And at this point I'm not really worried about the Bills. I fully expect QBs to go 1-2-3

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

And at this point I'm not really worried about the Bills. I fully expect QBs to go 1-2-3

Yup. It will take an arm and leg for the Bills to convince the Giants to trade back. I think at best the Bills move to the number 4 spot ahead of the Broncos. But even that I have my doubts. 

I see the Giants staying put and taking Darnold/Rosen/Allen.

15 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

If the Browns trade the 1 or 4 then QB will go 1,2,3,4. I bet most of the people on this board that hated the trade we made with the Colts are happy now. i think we got a very good deal because 6 there would be no more QB left. I am so excited because all 4 QB (Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen) are going to be very good. The thought that we will get one is great.

We put ourselves in position to take one of Rosen or Mayfield and we should all be flat out thrilled by that.  No matter what we will have our chance at a franchise QB and that's a good thing.

I'm ready for Mayfield I think.  His accuracy is what this team needs and his ability to put the ball into his players hands and let them do the work is something that is so undervalued at the QB position.  Despite his offense in college he still was tops in the class with all the NFL throws as well as with pressure which he'll surely face in the pros.  I think we can build a winner around him.  

Rosen scares me with his leadership, injuries and lack of mobility.  You need to be able to protect yourself at the next level and a pocket statue with concussion and shoulder problems is scary.  

I want Mayfield.

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The patriots have too many needs on both offense and defense to make a move up for a top QB. It’s the bills we mainly need to worry about IMO

It's the Pats my man.  Bill B. finds guys in the 5th who become solid starters.  He can also trade the two 1sts and a 2nd, get close to the top 5 and still have a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.  Or if he wants a guy like Lamar and he's there before the Cards pick,  potentially just use the Rams 1st and a 2nd.  He has options with those 4 picks.

33 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We put ourselves in position to take one of Rosen or Mayfield and we should all be flat out thrilled by that.  No matter what we will have our chance at a franchise QB and that's a good thing.

I'm ready for Mayfield I think.  His accuracy is what this team needs and his ability to put the ball into his players hands and let them do the work is something that is so undervalued at the QB position.  Despite his offense in college he still was tops in the class with all the NFL throws as well as with pressure which he'll surely face in the pros.  I think we can build a winner around him.  

Rosen scares me with his leadership, injuries and lack of mobility.  You need to be able to protect yourself at the next level and a pocket statue with concussion and shoulder problems is scary.  

I want Mayfield.

I’m trying to really hard to get as excited about Mayfield but I don’t think I could justify drafting him over Rosen or Darnold. I do agree Rosen’s concussions are scary, considering his upbringing. 

Mayfield has something special about him similar to how I felt about Watson last year (and I didn’t want to draft him at 6, I was wrong, we should have) and I love the chip on his shoulder, taking notes of which media outlets say he’s going to fail, etc. His accuracy and ball placement is excellent and his arm is much stronger than he gets credit for but in terms of mobility and athleticism I don’t think he stacks up to a guy like Wilson.

But if Darnold and Rosen are gone, give me Mayfield. Handcuff him to Josh McCown 12 hours a day and when he’s ready get him out there.

Side note: even though it’s 10M I’m glad we brought McCown back now (so long as we aren’t playing him until week 14) because he’s the perfect guy to show someone like Mayfield how to be a pro. Perfect.

19 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I like the McCown thing too because there was rumors that the jets wanted him on their coaching staff. That says a lot about McCown.

No doubt he is the ideal guy to teach Mayfield how to be a pro.

to add this is also apparently a quote from Manziel: 

Draft a QB in the first round and put him into a toxic Quarterback room vs. what it was like my second year with McCown. COMPLETELY  different situation. It’s all about the right fit and mine in Cleveland wasn’t right. That’s just the facts. I also have nobody to blame but myself

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

It's the Pats my man.  Bill B. finds guys in the 5th who become solid starters.  He can also trade the two 1sts and a 2nd, get close to the top 5 and still have a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.  Or if he wants a guy like Lamar and he's there before the Cards pick,  potentially just use the Rams 1st and a 2nd.  He has options with those 4 picks.

I'm taking a look at the Pats draft history. I don't see a great drafting team. What they do well is they hit on their first round picks and sometimes on their second round picks. But their late round picks are not out of the ordinary. They'll get a guy here and there but I'm sure most teams do. 

There first round picks though. Spot on. They usually don't miss those. Crazy thing is they also usually go defense with their first round picks. In the Tom Brady and BB era, they literally have gone offense with their first pick (this could be their 2nd or 3rd round pick if they don't have a first) 5 times. 2 TE's including Ben Watson who was picked in the first round but after they picked Wilfork. They also drafted Solder and Mankins and Maroney.

Even before the BB era, they literally almost always go defense in the first. Kind of crazy to think.

The Patriots make hay getting free agents that get passed over. They also do well in trades. Particularly at receiver. 

Archived