Draft Discussion Thread

El Ramster

27 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Anyone PLEASE tell me about USC LB Nwosu? I heard that the Rams should target him in the 3rd round. 

I like a lot about him EXCEPT his instincts - which are below average.  As a guy to line up as a 9-Tech "send him on most plays" pass-rusher, he's a decent option (there are guys that should be available in the 3rd that I'd definitely take over him), but he's one of those guys who is compensating for poor instincts with athleticism and I don't even think his athleticism is that great.  I kind of prefer not to have my pass-rushers stutterstep while on a clear pursuit path to the QB... which I've seen Nwosu do way too many times for my taste.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

It's the thing that the majority of draft pundits never account for: That GM's and Coaches and Scouts are human and that as humans they are very much capable of falling in love with particular prospects - where two or three guys may be very similarly capable, but something one of them in particular said in an interview or did on tape sticks in their minds as making them the "have-to-have" option.

The other thing too is that lots of draft pundits underrate how much coaches in particular, but GM's as well, are willing to forgive "rawness" in the name of "potential."  I don't know that I'd call it out and out arrogance, but it's definitely an (over?)confidence in their own abilities that, "this guy may be raw, but my system or my staff are clearly capable of getting him to maximize that all that potential he's got and polish that diamond."  It's not just something that's limited to the NFL either, it's pretty widespread across professional sports.

I always enjoy capitalizing on that emotion. Desmond King is the perfect example of that. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I always enjoy capitalizing on that emotion. Desmond King is the perfect example of that. 

And it's honestly why I'm not sweating our LB options in the draft right now.  Will we miss out on the "elite ceiling guys?"  Likely.  But when it comes to linebackers, I'll take plus instincts over plus athleticism all day long, floor over ceiling.  As is, with the way contracts are looking like they're going to line up, we're going to want a year or two of padding before going after any kind of potential "game-changing" EDGE because we may be in a position where (if they pan out) we'd have trouble re-signing them at the kind of scratch they'd command when the time came (and yes, I'm looking at this in terms of 6-7 years down the line).

I've been perfectly fine with a Tegray Scales or Darius Leonard type in the middle rounds for a while now.  And I've been watching more of Keishawn Bierria and think he could be a solid fit (he gives us at least as much, initially, as we'll be getting from Ramik Wilson and is at minimum a "hold down the fort" guy).

There's a couple other guys I've been eyeing that are almost certainly going to go Day 3 if not priority-FA (we had so many 6th's I couldn't resist looking for diamonds in the rough) that fit what I've come to understand as the mold Wade likes.  I should probably start a thread on that, but just to throw out a couple names: Purdue's Ja'Whaun Bentley, Nick DeLuca (Bones will love him, wouldn't be surprised if Wade thinks he can make something of him), Temple's Jake Martin (I'd move him to ILB, but his football IQ is legit), Ball State's Tony Winbush, and Slippery Rock's Marcus Martin (another guy who has been playing EDGE that I'd give serious consideration to moving to ILB).

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

And it's honestly why I'm not sweating our LB options in the draft right now.  Will we miss out on the "elite ceiling guys?"  Likely.  But when it comes to linebackers, I'll take plus instincts over plus athleticism all day long, floor over ceiling.  As is, with the way contracts are looking like they're going to line up, we're going to want a year or two of padding before going after any kind of potential "game-changing" EDGE because we may be in a position where (if they pan out) we'd have trouble re-signing them at the kind of scratch they'd command when the time came (and yes, I'm looking at this in terms of 6-7 years down the line).

I've been perfectly fine with a Tegray Scales or Darius Leonard type in the middle rounds for a while now.  And I've been watching more of Keishawn Bierria and think he could be a solid fit (he gives us at least as much, initially, as we'll be getting from Ramik Wilson and is at minimum a "hold down the fort" guy).

There's a couple other guys I've been eyeing that are almost certainly going to go Day 3 if not priority-FA (we had so many 6th's I couldn't resist looking for diamonds in the rough) that fit what I've come to understand as the mold Wade likes.  I should probably start a thread on that, but just to throw out a couple names: Purdue's Ja'Whaun Bentley, Nick DeLuca (Bones will love him, wouldn't be surprised if Wade thinks he can make something of him), Temple's Jake Martin (I'd move him to ILB, but his football IQ is legit), Ball State's Tony Winbush, and Slippery Rock's Marcus Martin (another guy who has been playing EDGE that I'd give serious consideration to moving to ILB).

Shaquem Griffin, Jack Cichy, and Tegray Scales are my guys. But it sounds like the Rams like Littleton. It makes sense. He can play the run, but he has limitations in pass coverage.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

I like a lot about him EXCEPT his instincts - which are below average.  As a guy to line up as a 9-Tech "send him on most plays" pass-rusher, he's a decent option (there are guys that should be available in the 3rd that I'd definitely take over him), but he's one of those guys who is compensating for poor instincts with athleticism and I don't even think his athleticism is that great.  I kind of prefer not to have my pass-rushers stutterstep while on a clear pursuit path to the QB... which I've seen Nwosu do way too many times for my taste.

Ok sounds good. Yeah if he isn’t sure with his instincts then that could spell trouble. I will say though, Wade could coach him up to be better though in that area.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Shaquem Griffin, Jack Cichy, and Tegray Scales are my guys. But it sounds like the Rams like Littleton. It makes sense. He can play the run, but he has limitations in pass coverage.

I like Cichy... but that whole having not played in 2 seasons stuff scares the crap out of me.  Otherwise, he's, at worst, Jake Ryan to me - which could suit us just fine.

I do tend to put more stock than most in program pedigrees when it comes to positions, so guys coming out of Wisconsin, Penn State, Temple, etc. are always going to get the benefit of at least a second look from my end.

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok sounds good. Yeah if he isn’t sure with his instincts then that could spell trouble. I will say though, Wade could coach him up to be better though in that area.

it's a tough thing I had in his eval.  There are times it looks like he just plain doesn't have good instincts and there are times where he just looks like he doesn't trust his instincts.  The later is a shade easier to overcome, but doesn't really lend itself to making much more than a rotational impact on the immediate front.

29 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I like Cichy... but that whole having not played in 2 seasons stuff scares the crap out of me.  Otherwise, he's, at worst, Jake Ryan to me - which could suit us just fine.

I do tend to put more stock than most in program pedigrees when it comes to positions, so guys coming out of Wisconsin, Penn State, Temple, etc. are always going to get the benefit of at least a second look from my end.

The not playing in 1.5 years is already taken into account with his draft position imo. He has 2nd/3rd round film, but he'll likely go somewhere between the late-4th and the early-6th. I'd take a shot on an injury prone guy there. That guy can really play. Obviously, I'd draft another ILB just to be safe.

4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Do anyone think the Rams might trade into the 2nd if a guy slips out of 1st round and starts to free fall some in the 2nd round?

With Snead, nothing would shock me. But I think its quite obvious that they have identified where some of the talent they like will fall to (3rd & 4th rounds) and use the 6ths to move around a bit to ensure they get those specific players.

Im hoping its a few LBs and an O-Lineman or two

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

With Snead, nothing would shock me. But I think its quite obvious that they have identified where some of the talent they like will fall to (3rd & 4th rounds) and use the 6ths to move around a bit to ensure they get those specific players.

Im hoping its a few LBs and an O-Lineman or two

I think that’s exactly what the plan is.  Some good quality players that present value at those positions in the mid-rounds.

36 minutes ago, DEE RAWL said:

I think that’s exactly what the plan is.  Some good quality players that present value at those positions in the mid-rounds.

Currently we are walking into the Draft with 8 picks, I could definitely see a scenario (or two) where we walk out with only 4 new players.

Its more likely we get 6-7 guys, but absolutely nothing would surprise me at this point.

Archived