Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

5 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

A regular season Injury.

I honestly believe this front office wants to sit whoever they draft at #1 virtually the whole year.  If tyrod gets hurt in week 10, I don't expect them to bring the rookie in.

I could be wrong, but I don't expect it...

To me it’s all about what be injury is. If Tyrod can return, Stanton is the guy. If Tyrod is done for the year. Darnold is the guy. Darnold is a better long term starter. Stanton is going to be the better fill in, keep the seat warm starter 

6 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

A regular season Injury.

I honestly believe this front office wants to sit whoever they draft at #1 virtually the whole year.  If tyrod gets hurt in week 10, I don't expect them to bring the rookie in.

I could be wrong, but I don't expect it...

That’s crazy to me.

Not saying you’re wrong, but I see no reason to for all that.  Tyrod is a competent starter, Stanton is not.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

To me it’s all about what be injury is. If Tyrod can return, Stanton is the guy. If Tyrod is done for the year. Darnold is the guy. Darnold is a better long term starter. Stanton is going to be the better fill in, keep the seat warm starter 

I could see that possibly, if it’s a week or two or whatever.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If he’s the 3rd stringer that’s usually how that works, yes.

It’s all relative. We have no idea how they would approach his development. 

Heck Kizer last year was 3rd string and he was getting more reps in preseason than any of the other QBs. hue actually planned that and manipulated that to be like that.

Great thing is the browns have two good vets that prolly don’t need to take every single rep. 

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It’s all relative. We have no idea how they would approach his development. 

Heck Kizer last year was 3rd string and he was getting more reps in preseason than any of the other QBs. hue actually planned that and manipulated that to be like that.

Great thing is the browns have two good vets that prolly don’t need to take every single rep. 

Which is why I said “in season”. Plenty of snaps to go around in camp, much less so during the season.

And let’s be honest, Hue had no plan to start anyone but Kizer last year.

Kizer was a good pick in the end, for solidifying us the number one overall. I knew from the moment we took him 52nd overall that I hated the pick from a 'franchise QB' perspective but loved it for what it would bring us long term in (hopefully) Darnold. I knew Hue would choose the big arm of Kizer over poor Kessler and that was going to guarantee us the first pick. Kessler alone probably would have, but if it took the 52nd pick to ensure us of the number one overall, it was well worth it.

Especially as we were then able to flip it for a starting free safety with good production and potential!

I played in a softball league with Drew Stanton about 7 years ago. He played third base. Hitting a grounder to him put the fear of god in you because he had an absolute cannon for the long throw to first, but poor accuracy. I saw him peg at least two base runners by accident and the throws had some serious heat on them. 

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I think Darnold would get the second team reps. But Stanton would probably come into the game in case of an injury, at least in the early portion of the season. Let's be honest, it doesn't matter how many reps Stanton gets or not... if he plays, he is going to stink it up.

Yes

Darnold is QB two during the week for practice reps once he gets acclimated 

Stanton QB two on game days 

I think Cody and Hogan one of the two still has some practice squad eligibility right?

55 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yes

Darnold is QB two during the week for practice reps once he gets acclimated 

Stanton QB two on game days 

I think Cody and Hogan one of the two still has some practice squad eligibility right?

Cody and hogan arnt worth it to keep on the practice squad

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Which is why I said “in season”. Plenty of snaps to go around in camp, much less so during the season.

And let’s be honest, Hue had no plan to start anyone but Kizer last year.

How many snaps does Stanton need to get to be ready to be the back up? Established vet, just needs to understand the scheme. If Tyrod gets hurt and Stanton goes in, the Browns are screwed for that game anyways 

Just now, buno67 said:

How many snaps does Stanton need to get to be ready to be the back up? Established vet, just needs to understand the scheme. If Tyrod gets hurt and Stanton goes in, the Browns are screwed for that game anyways 

Idk?

Never played in Hue’s scheme or with any of these players.  I’d imagine some snaps.

If your goal is simply to keep the rookie on the bench, fine I suppose, but it seems rather unnecessary if he’s already better than the guy who would be playing ahead of him.

When you talk about guys who sat for a year, it wasn’t behind a Drew Stanton, but rather a solid vet starter.

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk?

Never played in Hue’s scheme or with any of these players.  I’d imagine some snaps.

If your goal is simply to keep the rookie on the bench, fine I suppose, but it seems rather unnecessary if he’s already better than the guy who would be playing ahead of him.

When you talk about guys who sat for a year, it wasn’t behind a Drew Stanton, but rather a solid vet starter.

Yeah I'm with ya. If the #1 overall pick in a strong QB class can't outperform Drew Stanton, even as a rookie, we've made a huge mistake. This is 2018, a league catered to developing a QB while playing him. He is protected in the pocket, the defense can't touch a receiver and they can't really even tackle a receiver until he clearly has possession.

If a rookie can't be decent in this league out of the gate there is a better than average chance he never will.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk?

Darnold isn’t playing because of Tyrod Taylor. I really don’t want to see a rookie coming into a game because Tyrod got hurt. To me that is not a good situation for him to come in.

like I said, I like Stanton as the back up as if Tyrod has to leave a game for a couple snaps or a series. He can handle that. I like Stanton to even be a spot starter if Tyrod has to miss a game or two. 

To me if Darnold is going to start it’s for the rest of his career. I don’t want to start him and then bench. Hence why I have said if Tyrod gets hurt and has to miss the rest of the season. I rather play Darnold.

Its not really making Darnold a true legit 3rd QB. It’s more so redshirting him so he can develop. If Tyrod gets IR’d well it’s time to burn that rsdshrit

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Darnold isn’t playing because of Tyrod Taylor. I really don’t want to see a rookie coming into a game because Tyrod got hurt. To me that is not a good situation for him to come in.

Just change the game plan, focus on the run, throws he’s comfortable with etc.. 

like I said, I like Stanton as the back up as if Tyrod has to leave a game for a couple snaps or a series. He can handle that. I like Stanton to even be a spot starter if Tyrod has to miss a game or two. 

For a few snaps or a series, sure, who cares.

Its not really making Darnold a true legit 3rd QB. It’s more so redshirting him so he can develop. If Tyrod gets IR’d well it’s time to burn that rsdshrit

Even if he’s out a few weeks, I’d rather Darnold get the experience to build upon provided he’s ready. 

Keep in mind, we aren’t sitting a QB just to develop them, they want a vet to try to win games NOW. Tyrod is almost assuredly better and more capable of winning games than a rookie.  Stanton?  I don’t know about that.

Archived