Derwin James the CB ?

bosko1616

8 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

We got rid of Danny Shelton to draft Danny Shelton lmao

Is that because they went to the same school and are both big Polynesian dudes? They are quite different players. I sort of get your point and it would feel frustrating to give up a DT for peanuts and draft another in the 1st round, but they aren't the same dude.

6 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Is that because they went to the same school and are both big Polynesian dudes? They are quite different players. I sort of get your point and it would feel frustrating to give up a DT for peanuts and draft another in the 1st round, but they aren't the same dude.

This. From what I've seen, Vea seems more athletic and is better at causing havoc in the backfield. Not saying I want him in the first round, but if we did trade down with Buffalo then he might be an option.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Right?

He’a a lot closer to a Dontari Poe or Haloti Ngata imo.

Dude is gonna control the LOS.

I think we run one of the only 2-3 defensive schemes in the NFL that could make this work because we run so much zone. He's not bad in man coverage, but I don't think he's nuanced enough to run with the excellent route runners that exist in the NFL. It'd be too big of a project.

That being said, I think he's too useful as a run defender to put him out at corner. Let him play FS and act as the cleanup defender for the front 7-8.

Oh and Vita Vea is nothing like Shelton other than they're NT's from Washington. Vea is a stellar athlete for his size and is a very good pass rusher regardless of what his weight would indicate. He's a mutant and is my #4 ranked player in this class. He runs laps around Shelton as a prospect and actually fits our scheme because he can rush. I'd be fine if we took Shelton at #4 even. I doubt we would do that given I don't think we value DT's all that much, but he's unbelievably talented. One of the best true NT prospects I've ever seen...if not THE best. I like him more than I liked Ngata. It's a bad comparison to say Vea=Shelton.

Oh, and as much as I like Gregg Williams, I don't think John Dorsey is going to avoid drafting great players because they don't fit our scheme. I'd expect whoever we draft this year to outlast Gregg Williams and this coaching staff. So while Denzel Ward, for example, is a much better fit on a man coverage heavy team, I don't think John Dorsey will pass on him for Josh Jackson, a significantly lower rated, but better fit for our system cornerback.

Same with Vita Vea. Is he the shining example of what Gregg Williams looks for on defense? No, but he's a rare football player that has the potential to dominate the NFL. I don't think Dorsey would hesitate to pull the trigger. He did trade Shelton away, but I think this was more about them not wanting to pay him a fat salary than it was about his scheme fit.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Oh, and as much as I like Gregg Williams, I don't think John Dorsey is going to avoid drafting great players because they don't fit our scheme. I'd expect whoever we draft this year to outlast Gregg Williams and this coaching staff. So while Denzel Ward, for example, is a much better fit on a man coverage heavy team, I don't think John Dorsey will pass on him for Josh Jackson, a significantly lower rated, but better fit for our system cornerback.

Same with Vita Vea. Is he the shining example of what Gregg Williams looks for on defense? No, but he's a rare football player that has the potential to dominate the NFL. I don't think Dorsey would hesitate to pull the trigger. He did trade Shelton away, but I think this was more about them not wanting to pay him a fat salary than it was about his scheme fit.

Agreed, you can’t ignore talent for the sake of a coordinator. Gregg Williams could leave next year and then where are you?

A good Pee Wee coach can fit a scheme around talent, a pro coach shouldn’t have any issues, despite the evidence of the 2017 season otherwise.

To me when it comes to players and coordinators there has to be a middle ground. Yea you want to draft the best players but you also have to consider BPA involves what the team runs and the schemes.

Archived