Michael Thomas safety signs with Giants

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Special teams ace. Been a backup safety his whole career, although he did play around 500 snaps in 2016.

To be fair, though, he played decently in 2016.   And then MIA decided to bring in TJ McDonald and Nate Allen, which in theory pushed him to #4.   But he was much better than Allen.   It's no knock he had to sit behind McDonald and Jones in MIA in 2017.   That's a really strong pair.   The mistake MIA made was playing Allen ahead of Thomas IMO for McDonald's suspension.

If Darian Thompson actually improves, then Thomas is a backup S - but if Thompson continues to disappoint, or either S gets hurt, Thomas can fill in capably.  In addition to his ST prowess.  I'm sure given the timing, it's not an expensive deal, either.  So I think this is one of those under-the-radar signings that can have a big 2018 impact.   Good for the G-men here, not just wrapped up in who they take 1.2 lol.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, though, he played decently in 2016.   And then MIA decided to bring in TJ McDonald and Nate Allen, which in theory pushed him to #4.   But he was much better than Allen.   It's no knock he had to sit behind McDonald and Jones in MIA in 2017.   That's a really strong pair.   The mistake MIA made was playing Allen ahead of Thomas IMO for McDonald's suspension.

If Darian Thompson actually improves, then Thomas is a backup S - but if Thompson continues to disappoint, or either S gets hurt, Thomas can fill in capably.  In addition to his ST prowess.  I'm sure given the timing, it's not an expensive deal, either.  So I think this is one of those under-the-radar signings that can have a big 2018 impact.   Good for the G-men here, not just wrapped up in who they take 1.2 lol.

Yeah, I have no memories of me cursing his name when he filled in at FS. That's about as well as I can evaluate deep safety play while watching the game from the broadcast angle though :)

At the absolute worst the Giants are getting a very, very good special teamer who has made impact plays in that phase, and someone who can fill in reasonably at FS.

Giants have made a point to focus on ST this offseason. We brought in an actually capable special teams coordinator, cut our disappointing punter, cut Dwayne Harris, and brought in guys like Cody Latimer, Mark Herzlich, Teddy Williams, and now Michael Thomas to really improve our dismal special teams unit. Really like this and the other signings that might make our special teams good for once. 

Archived