Colts (Ballard specifically) have contingency plan for worse case scenario

Wyld Stallyns

When talking to the media Ballard and Irsay have made a couple very important comments that shed light on the Colt’s draft plans. 

1. The comment made the day of the trade down from #3 to #6. ‘We’ll still be able to acquire a premium player’ 

2. The comment made to Adam Schefter in his podcast. Schefter asked Ballard how many QBs does he expect to be taken prior to the Colt’s pick at 6. Ballard responded, ‘We’re prepared for the worse case scenario, which is only 2 QBs taken.’ 

3. Jim Irsay at the Colt’s town hall style press conferences after the announcement of Reich and the coordinators. ‘we have been missing that Edgerrin James type RB for Luck

4. Ballard gushing over Quenton Nelson at the Notre Dame pro day. “You can see his natural power," Ballard told the Indy Star's Laken Litman after watching Nelson's workout. "He's a big, strong man. He's got quick feet, good agility, and balance, so you saw about everything you wanted to see. You saw it on tape, too. So it's just reconfirming it.”

5. Irsay “We could go pass rusher, we could go running back, we could go offensive lineman. We don’t feel the pressure to go one way or the other. All could help in our goal of sustaining success,” 

First things first, all of this could be a huge smoke screen giving the illusion that they tipped their hand when they haven’t really revealed anything. Though it’s almost a 100% certainty the Colt’s aren’t taking a QB.

Ballard has made it clear that they are prepared for only 2 QBs being taken in the top 5 as a worse case scenario. Which means they have targeted 4 prospects as  ‘premium’.

The big 3 (Barkley, Chubb and Nelson) have been speculated to be the Colts top targets by myself and almost all of the media. 

That 4th prospect could be any number of guys. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Denzel Ward, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edwards.

I also submit the decision to release Johnathan Hankins so late in the process as a possible tell that either Vita Vea, Da’Ron Payne or Maurice Hurst could be amongst that pool of players. 

I’m going to go out on a limb and say we’ll never find out who the 4th player is because one of Barkley, Chubb or Nelson will be selected at #6 by the Colts 

That is a good synopsis and right along the line of thinking I have as well. But the way you laid it out was great. You know, as honest as Ballard is, if we indeed do take one of those top three players (that is what is likely to happen as I dont see a way only two QB's are taken....), he may say which player the fourth was somewhere down the line. The only way he wouldn't share is if the player we take doesn't measure up to that "fourth" player we passed on. 

Also, I am still not in the camp that believes Barkley is the first non QB player taken. Just out of curiosity...who do you think the fourth player is.....or who do you hope it is?

Good write up there @stallyns.

Obviously at this stage of the season leading up to the draft every owner/GM has got their Poker Faces on, playing games with each other. Not sure what to make of what Irsay and Ballard are saying but I don't feel Barkley will be there at 6. Chubb might not be there either, so it's quite possible whoever the 4th prospect is, we may have to pick them. 

19 hours ago, stallyns said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say we’ll never find out who the 4th player is because one of Barkley, Chubb or Nelson will be selected at #6 by the Colts

Came here to snoop on what what ya'll are feeling and this resonated with what my guts was telling me.

For my two pennies, I think Barkley goes #2, Chubb goes #4, and Nelson goes #6 to you. At some point there needs to be an investment in protecting Andrew Luck.

8 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Also, I am still not in the camp that believes Barkley is the first non QB player taken. Just out of curiosity...who do you think the fourth player is.....or who do you hope it is?

I think the 4th player is one of either James or Ward. But I HOPE it’s Ward as I mentioned in the draft thread by @Jason_Bengal_Fl about why we really don’t need a safety or nickel corner.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Came here to snoop on what what ya'll are feeling and this resonated with what my guts was telling me.

For my two pennies, I think Barkley goes #2, Chubb goes #4, and Nelson goes #6 to you. At some point there needs to be an investment in protecting Andrew Luck.

Until Ballard showed up at Nelson’s pro day I had not seen or heard anything to suggest that Nelson was even on the Colt’s radar. Not to mention signing Slauson and re-signing Mewhort made me think they weren’t looking at G too early in the draft. At one point I was afraid that if Chubb and Barkley are gone that Nelson wouldn’t be the pick. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

If both Chubb and Nelson are available at #6, who do you think you'll take?

Denzel Ward. We can use a CB. I feel like Fitzpatrick is more a safety/Nickel then a boundary corner and Nate Hairston has been really good in the slot 

j/k Chubb 

Archived