Nelson Agholor Hype Status: Phoenix Personified

Kiltman

31 minutes ago, thebriguy90 said:

Not true. He scored a last second TD against the Chiefs in week 2.

Still impressive that his play has definitely skyrocketed.

I'll just note for the record that I made my post on Sept. 11, and we played the Chiefs on Sept. 17.

So what is the secret to this remarkable turnaround for Agholor?

Doug Pederson answered that question after Sunday’s game with a simple explanation.

“It’s confidence,” Pederson said. “It’s total confidence and it’s — I think it’s me believing in him, the coaching staff on offense believing in him, and the players around him believing in him.

“I see this kid every single day and the way he walks in the building with confidence. Nothing gets him down. He works extremely hard, and he’s playing at a high level right now.”

I hope it's more then just a confidence thing? I've stated numerous times over the past few years that He was putting way to much pressure on himself trying to live up to his 1st Rd draft pick status for the "fans" that he was letting the easy stuff ( catching the ball) go to his head.

I'm not sure if he came into OTA's with a WGAF mentality thinking he was going to get cut regardless and it actually Worked in his favor but it's night and Day different with him right now.

He's showing the Maclin Esq' comparisons Everyone had on why they drafted him in the first place. Showing the speed, ability to catch, route running, playmaking abilities that made him so damn scary in college.

Whether that is Groh, being in the Slot, AJ, Torrey being in the building, I don't know? Don't care really, he's finally making an impact in his 3rd season. 

I'll take it any way I can get it. Just don't become the old Nelson Agholor if you have a few key drops/bad games and your "confidence"  as DTM puts it ends up going in the crapper!!!!!

2 hours ago, Phire said:

So what is the secret to this remarkable turnaround for Agholor?

Doug Pederson answered that question after Sunday’s game with a simple explanation.

“It’s confidence,” Pederson said. “It’s total confidence and it’s — I think it’s me believing in him, the coaching staff on offense believing in him, and the players around him believing in him.

“I see this kid every single day and the way he walks in the building with confidence. Nothing gets him down. He works extremely hard, and he’s playing at a high level right now.”

I love that Eagles fans are blunt and tell it like it is, because that's exactly how I am. 

With that said, I don't love it when the fans are super quick to let a young player hear it whether that be in person (like around the city or at open practices) or on social media. 

The older players can stand the heat cause they've been through the ups and downs.

Young players on the other hand are impressionable and the jump from college to the NFL is huge and they are probably already pretty overwhelmed.

I think Nelson's timing entering the league also wasn't the best as he came in right after one of the most productive rookie WR classes from 2014 that featured Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson,  Jarvis Landry, Davante Adams, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, etc. All those guys made pretty big impacts their first or second year.

That WR class put huge and unrealistic exectations on the following draft class which Nelson was a part of. 

It also didn't help that Agholor had a bad WR coach and had to start as the #1 WR right from the get go.

Fans need to cool their jets on young players and give them time to develop. 

Also, I don't want to preach like I'm not guilty of this too. I mean just look at how critical I was of Wentz when he didn't get off to a great start to his sophomore campaign a few weeks ago.The difference is I don't go out of my way to rag on Wentz in person or on social media like a lot of fans did to Agholor and other players.

Archived