Jordan Reed has "procedure done on his toes"

Woz

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Well, we could move him, but we would have to be willing to accept eating a lot of dead cap. It's possible that the new team could take on some of his dead cap (since the vast majority of his guaranteed monies in 2018 is his salary)

I wonder if us being willing to pick up the dead cap might up the draft pick price?

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

I wonder if us being willing to pick up the dead cap might up the draft pick price?

In thinking about it, the guarantees from the salary should transfer to the new team (as those are monies not yet paid), while the remainder of the signing bonus monies ($5.4M) would stick with the Redskins as monies that have been paid.

So, the question becomes: are the Redskins willing to eat $5.4M in cap space but likely get decent (but not great) draft value back, or do the Redskins gamble that Reed can have an injury-free (or mostly injury-free) season this year in hopes of recouping more value next year?

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

In thinking about it, the guarantees from the salary should transfer to the new team (as those are monies not yet paid), while the remainder of the signing bonus monies ($5.4M) would stick with the Redskins as monies that have been paid.

So, the question becomes: are the Redskins willing to eat $5.4M in cap space but likely get decent (but not great) draft value back, or do the Redskins gamble that Reed can have an injury-free (or mostly injury-free) season this year in hopes of recouping more value next year?

If during the draft we can get a 2nd rounder? I'd consider it.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

If during the draft we can get a 2nd rounder? I'd consider it.

For a 2nd? Absolutely.

Preferred teams (won't see for 2+ years): Baltimore, Oakland
Acceptable teams (won't see this year): Buffalo, Miami, New England, NY Jets
Meh teams (will see this year, but AFC): Jacksonville

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Well, we could move him, but we would have to be willing to accept eating a lot of dead cap. It's possible that the new team could take on some of his dead cap (since the vast majority of his guaranteed monies in 2018 is his salary)

Understood. I am not sure why any guys we sign to a long term deal can't just stay freakin healthy. 

34 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s worth more to us than anything we’d get in return for him.  We should keep him.

More than likely, this is the case.

However, assuming the guaranteed salary follows Reed off our cap, he's not untradeable.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Look, I love Reed. But if he's not available to put on the field, he's eating up cap space and taking up a roster spot. Has he had a complete 16 game season yet?

Don’t care about the roster spot. 10-12 games of healthy Jordan Reed is more valuable than 16 games from at least half of the guys on our roster. Or anyone’s roster, probably. And it appears we’re going to have plenty of leftover cap space going into the season, so I don’t really care about that either. 

The only way I think it makes sense to subtract Reed from our roster is if we can turn him into a player who is younger, cheaper, more reliable, AND at least has the potential to give us something resembling the impact we can get from a healthy Reed. So if someone comes to us and offers a 2nd or an early 3rd, I would probably (begrudgingly) consider that seriously. 

But that isn’t going to happen, for the reasons that have been laid out in this thread, so it’s kind of a moot point. Get him ready for camp, do whatever preventative work you can do up front, and turn him loose. You know he’s going to get hurt at some point — you just have to make your peace with it, have a backup plan in place, and enjoy him searching dominate and change the game as long as he’s out there. 

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Don’t care about the roster spot. 10-12 games of healthy Jordan Reed is more valuable than 16 games from at least half of the guys on our roster. Or anyone’s roster, probably. And it appears we’re going to have plenty of leftover cap space going into the season, so I don’t really care about that either. 

The only way I think it makes sense to subtract Reed from our roster is if we can turn him into a player who is younger, cheaper, more reliable, AND at least has the potential to give us something resembling the impact we can get from a healthy Reed. So if someone comes to us and offers a 2nd or an early 3rd, I would probably (begrudgingly) consider that seriously. 

But that isn’t going to happen, for the reasons that have been laid out in this thread, so it’s kind of a moot point. Get him ready for camp, do whatever preventative work you can do up front, and turn him loose. You know he’s going to get hurt at some point — you just have to make your peace with it, have a backup plan in place, and enjoy him searching dominate and change the game as long as he’s out there. 

Again, I LOVE Reed. Don't get me wrong. I just can't rely on the guy. He left us with an aging Davis as our starting TE last year and I don't want this same scenario to play out yet again. I've seen this movie with him for 5 years. It works if he comes back and plays this year. If we get him on the field and he returns to form, I want to trade him after this season. He's just not reliable. In 2015 he played in 14 but started only 9 games. That's his highpoint. In 5 years, out of a total of 81 possible games, he's played in 53 games and only started 29. Travis Kelce, another guy playing the same position on another team, has also been in the league for 5 years. Out of a possible 84 games, Kelce played in 68 and started 61.

So if we can get him back and he plays and next year we can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd, I want to do it. This organization doesn't think ahead enough. We tend to hold onto guys we shouldn't and also tend to hang onto guys a year or two too long rather than cutting bait when we can get value from the player.

As for leftover cap, we should care about that. Our cap space drops to $22m next year. Only 3 teams have less cap space next year than us. And we've got a ton of players to try to re-sign.

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

And it appears we’re going to have plenty of leftover cap space going into the season, so I don’t really care about that either.

Ideally, we would use that cap space and front load contracts for guys we want to re-sign long term ...

Archived