offical visits

jebrick

12 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

On a side note, I’m surprised they haven’t brought in any of those mid rd RBs...a ton of quality guys at RB this year...can nab one as late as 1 of their 2 5th rd picks.

Makes me think interest in Guice from LSU is legit.

Agreed.

Draft a QB, RB and 3 more WRs.    We need to set up our future offense.   Screw Ben.

PS...my snideness isnt directed at you AFF....just the notion of drafting a RB or WR early in the draft.

8 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

You've been around here long enough to know that I don't get excited over gimmicks or nickname players. I see a 20 year old player with extraordinary size and talent combination that played an even more brutal similarly physical contact sport, demonstrates balance, ability to move his feet well and utilize his hands quickly and effectively. Thats a lot more than I see from the hundreds of Olineman I have scouted thoroughly over the years. Is it a roll of the dice? Of course it is. Not unlike picking a punter in the 3rd or 4th round, or picking a player with injury in the 2nd that you know wont play for a year and it is highly questionable if he will ever be able to contribute regularly. They are risks. Foolish could easily be drafting a qb in the first round when no one sees him anywhere near the same because the potential quality and rate of long term success of that rounds picks are so much greater than say the 4th round.  

I graded what I could as a late 6th/early 7th round value in general, which is a player that can play in the league, special teams, roles and/or could use development.. In this particular draft that value put him in the late 5th/early 6th realm for the 250 or so players I have graded.  Because of his size and position potential you may need to do more than is valued to get him if he demonstrates enough at his workout to arouse interest. 

In comparison most of the qbs are drafted arent even close in grade to many of the position players they are drafted ahead of, the market/demand/need is what moves them up. The market/interest could very well move him up from that 6th round potential. 

If there is little interest then no market, and your points are valid.  I believe there will be a market.  

Apparently the Steelers thought there was a market for an average sized human long snapper last year.

Where his head is at and his ability to learn and pick things up will matter significantly. 

And I am just pointing out what value has been given to players like this in the past using your own examples.  All of which were UDFA or picked where they would currently be UDFA.   It would be some crazy team that spends a draft pick on him.

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

And I am just pointing out what value has been given to players like this in the past using your own examples.  All of which were UDFA or picked where they would currently be UDFA.   It would be some crazy team that spends a draft pick on him.

My last two points would be: that most players you would associate with this scenario are typically much older usually around 24 or 25, he's 20.

And that I said 6th round is most likely,  especially since several teams have at least 4 picks in the round including LA Rams, Dallas, Oakland. Green Bay has a lot of picks 4-6, Denver has a lot of picks in the late 3rd/early 4th range. Cleveland & New England have 5 picks early so it gives them a lot of room to take chances such as taking a Dlineman that no other team will touch because of reported criminal activity a day before the draft. 

I guess we'll see to what degree he impressed in his workouts. 

Bob Labriola
‏Verified account @BobLabriola

Draft visitor for 4/13: WR Christian Kirk from Texas A&M

Goedert’s schedule has included the New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, New York Giants and New York Jets, or basically half the league. http://draftanalyst.com/tight-end-boards-it’s-anyone’s-guess

Can put this in the 'unconfirmed' visits for now I guess.

So I was reading Jim Wexell’s Twitter. There was an interesting comment he made about a question on board on the site he runs.  With all the late round visits the Steelers are having, does it signal a trade up in the first?  

I thought all the late round visits was a little strange.  However, I never thought about it being sign of a trade up, but it makes sense.

12 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

So I was reading Jim Wexell’s Twitter. There was an interesting comment he made about a question on board on the site he runs.  With all the late round visits the Steelers are having, does it signal a trade up in the first?  

I thought all the late round visits was a little strange.  However, I never thought about it being sign of a trade up, but it makes sense.

1) That's kinda normal for them.

2) If it indicates anything from what I've seen with other teams, it more likely means a trade down.  Means they see somewhere early that they are going to be able to move back and collect some later picks.

9 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

If Fitzpatrick falls , otherwise seems like a reaching idea. 

On 4/11/2018 at 10:00 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Agreed.

Draft a QB, RB and 3 more WRs.    We need to set up our future offense.   Screw Ben.

PS...my snideness isnt directed at you AFF....just the notion of drafting a RB or WR early in the draft.

I like Ridley a lot and believe he is being severely underrated in this draft by just about everyone. I like him way more than I did Amari Cooper. It took me a long time to come around on Coop and I even felt like I forced him up my board a bit at the end to be honest.  

That being said I wouldn't be too happy if we took Ridley (it would be an outright steal however ) as he plays similarly to AB IMO and as weird as it sounds, I don't think we need another AB type at this time. I don't have any other WRs rated in the 1st round realm. I have a bunch of them grouped as late 2nd thru early 4th round value, pick your poison. I do like DJ Moore but at the moment don't have him rated that high off games I watched, i'm kind of conservative at first and then move them up in my ratings categories once Ive seen things repeated over and over again. I'll work on a final grade on him and Kirk as they are the only two i see as late 1st possibilities for grades/rankings.

I would be very open to drafting an RB if it was to replace Bell and all this drama and talk of waste of cap space. Id love if we traded him away and picked up something sensible in regards to picks. Indy & SF would be my target teams. 

The Mason Rudolph talk wants me to stop thinking about the draft all together forever. It feels like drafting Landry Jones in the 1st or 4th in ways. They aren't the same player but I have the same disregard for them both. I see a little of something they like that may remind them of Ben, but its reaching/grasping  and searching. It reminds me of how I couldn't figure out for the life of me the interest in Geno Smith by any team/fan etc...I searched and searched until I saw ONE throw that looked like a professional throw. I can still picture it actually, it was somewhat of a 15 yard out/fade that he dropped in and I said finally, maybe he can be an 8-8 QB if he could do that.  If they take Rudolph down in the draft, ok. Like 3rd round, although I think the pick could be better utilized as I see him as a starter that teams are always reaching to be the guy ..like a Josh McCown type. 

I dont hate the Lamar Jackson talk as much as he has special ability, but needs work, a lot. I dont know about his ability to understand and pick things up so that would be concern.  He could be a added dimension though in his development years not unlike Slash. It could be a difference maker thats rolled out around playoff time. 

Bob Labriola
‏Verified account @BobLabriola

Draft visitors 4/16: DL Gregory Gilmore from LSU; DT Bilal Nichols from Delaware

South Carolina State linebacker Darius Leonard announced he had arrived in Pittsburgh on Friday night via his Instagram account, presumably ahead of a meeting with the Steelers the next day.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/14/lb-darius-leonard-in-pittsburgh-ahead-of-presumed-meeting-with-steelers/

Archived