Why There's Zero Chance We Take Allen, But Why We're Not Taking Darnold

Mind Character

12 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Giants looking to drum up interest for #2 is the only explanation I can come up with.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Ironically, our best leverage this year may be other teams fearing that the info that they are hearing is a smokescreen.

Do you have a QB(s) you're liking at #1? 

10 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

You know you're the worst for this take on how much Dorsey cares about our opinion.

Interesting and possible, but what reason(s) do you think another organization would spend the effort to do our smokescreen for us?

The Giants' pick is worth something completely different if Darnold is available versus not.

Furthermore, Only deadlines make deals.

The main reason for leaks is to create an immediate deadline for a trade.

If the Giants could convince the Broncos or the Bills to get in a bidding war now for the number 2 pick and make the trade before knowing whether Darnold falls to 2 or not the trade value the Giants would get back would be inflated.

For example, if the Giants have spoken both with the Bills and the Broncos about a framework for a deal, but Gettleman and the Giants keep telling them there's a price to get the pick right now and there's a price to get the pick draft day after we see what Cleveland does... the Bills or the Broncos might say we'll wait until draft day when the price comes down...by putting out info that the Josh Allen is going first... the Giants may convince a team to pay the "Buy Right Now" price...

The Browns also have motivation to get a QB drafting team into the number 2 slot. Right now a lot of people think the Giants aren't certain to take a QB. By getting the Bills or Broncos into that number 2 spot, it guarantees us our nonQB prospect at 4.

We also have the motivation because if teams think Allen is going at 4 they may do like the Jets and just pay the trade now price for the number 4 pick due to them being guaranteed 1 of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield at 4.

That bounty with 1 of those 3 still on the board at 4 is different from that if Allen is on the board as I think all teams in the top 5 see Allen as the number 4 guy.

GMs and decision makers like owners with final say make poor decisions under pressure when the stakes are high like this year with the QBs.

Jets also have motivation to want to inflate Josh Allen's draft value. By putting out such info, they may be hoping info starts to leak from other top 5 or could be top 5 teams regard the QB they want...clarifying what they'll be able to get at 3.

20 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Mind Character Do you think any smoke about Mayfield at 1 will start to emerge as the draft approaches? I find it hard to believe it would just happen out of nowhere without any hype whatsoever.

Only in the days right before the draft if we hear anything at all...

But I honestly don't think so just like there was no smoke when Dorsey took Eric Fisher from Central Michigan number 1 over Luke Joeckel from Texas A&M... no one saw it coming....

The Mayfield thing doesn't fit the narrative of the commercial football media...therefore, the story doesn't have legs so it will not be prioritized... that is, it doesn't make sense to most why Baker would go first because he's short and has Manziel comparisons to a lot of fans not really looking into things.

It's believable that we may go the way of Allen at 1 because of his big arm, and Dorsey going big arm... Mayfield is just not a believable smoke in the media's eyes...

Remember this... there was zero smoke on Dorsey taking Eric Fisher, Marcus Peters, and Patrick Mahomes....absolutely nothing.... no media pundit/draftnik foresaw that happening...

3 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

So are you saying we should all slam down money on Mayfield at 20/1?

Because it sounds like you’re saying Allen has no shot and Mayfield is going to be the pick.

Let me know now because there’s money to be made if it’s true.

May as well win SOMETHING out of it.

If he's the pick, then you win money.

If Darnold is the pick, you lose money, but you're still great with it.

4 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

So are you saying we should all slam down money on Mayfield at 20/1?

Because it sounds like you’re saying Allen has no shot and Mayfield is going to be the pick.

Let me know now because there’s money to be made if it’s true.

LOL....hahaha...hear what you want to hear....see what you want to see...sounds like you have a gambling problem....and are just itching to bet....LOL

I'd never tell another man what to do with his money...

If you're are going to be pissed, hurt, or think twice about losing the money if you lose the bet than I would never take the gamble

with 20/1 odds a $5, $10, or $20 bet won't be missed if we take Darnold....I'd pay $20 or $50 dollars gladly and smile at the fact that I lost that money and we selected Darnold.

If we go Mayfield the return is very nice in winnings for a negligible bet....

3 of My friends bet $5 dollars on Mayfield, 2 others bet $10, and I bet $50 when we went down to place the bets....

1 of my friends of those that bet $5 said "that's less than mcdonald's for lunch and by not buying mcdonald's one of those following days if I lose would actually save my stomach and my life" LOL...

If I were you, I wouldn't bet more than $5...

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

I'd pay $20 or $50 dollars gladly and smile at the fact that I lost that money and we selected Darnold.

I do stuff like this all the time with my local team over here on this side of the water. :D

Thankfully we lose almost every game so I make decent money out of my misery!

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Glad you’re back.

Bout damn time.

Image result for i've always been in your heart

I'm just here for the inevitable failure and disappointment.

Still comfortable with my choice with Paul Allen, John Schneider and Pete Carroll running my team.

Haslam, Dorsey and Jackson don't inspire the same confidence.

When all three of those names change, I'll be back.  Haslam's statute of limitations for indictment is up soon.  To me, that will have more impact on the future of the Browns than who they choose at QB.  But they'd be a lot better off with Mayfield or Rosen.

39 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Mind Character I got some insight for you...I was told that Baker Mayfield went out and got trashed in Cleveland the night before his visit with the Browns. People in the facility have really talked him up but that was quite a concern...

How dare you speak such things... hold thine tongue good sir... lest ye news bring mine pantalons a tingling sensation...

No, but seriously that would be the greatest news ever... as such my skepticism is at an all time high as I just can't believe Baker would risk such things with foolery as agents inform their clients that assume you're being watched 24/7 from the time you land in the Team's city for the visit.

But I won't completely discount such things simply because they don't fall within my believability spectrum.... any insights as to how you came about such information? Is this person reliable? Are they associated or have first hand knowledge of such things? Elaborate good sir? Lest we cast you out with the other rumor charlatans....

If it's a joke, good stuff... you got me

So, you're saying Baker at 1?

Now, if he got wasted out all night with Scot McCloughan...now we're talking some juicy stuff... the pick is in for sure now...

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

How dare you speak such things... hold thine tongue good sir... lest ye news bring mine pantalons a tingling sensation...

No, but seriously that would be the greatest news ever... as such my skepticism is at an all time high as I just can't believe Baker would risk such things with foolery as agents inform their clients that assume you're being watched 24/7 from the time you land in the Team's city for the visit.

But I won't completely discount such things simply because they don't fall within my believability spectrum.... any insights as to how you came about such information? Is this person reliable? Are they associated or have first hand knowledge of such things? Elaborate good sir? Lest we cast you out with the other rumor charlatans....

If it's a joke, good stuff... you got me

My co-worker at ESPN Cleveland is also the head of the Browns Network. He said Dorsey told him this. He has no reason to lie about such things. 

He thinks Baker at one is plausible, people really like him as I said, but this is a red flag no doubt. Whether it's the nail in the coffin remains to be seen, but it's a legit concern.

22 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

My co-worker at ESPN Cleveland is also the head of the Browns Network. He said Dorsey told him this. He has no reason to lie about such things. 

He thinks Baker at one is plausible, people really like him as I said, but this is a red flag no doubt. Whether it's the nail in the coffin remains to be seen, but it's a legit concern.

1. Dorsey could've been just checking weak points in the organization in terms of leaks. New GMs do this all the time...they'll check the PR team, Business side of the operation, coaches, tech people, and their own personnel group. It could be that Baker is his guy, he's taking him at 1, but wants to see who around the organization leaks stuff.

2. If it's real info, it would be negligence on the part of Dorsey to take Baker at 1. Tell me this....if this person had to put money on it... do they believe that Dorsey is leaning toward Baker or leaning toward Darnold?

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

2. If it's real info, it would be negligence on the part of Dorsey to take Baker at 1. Tell me this....if this person had to put money on it... do they believe that Dorsey is leaning toward Baker or leaning toward Darnold?

that is like asking what is a rock thinking about. 

He doens't give a hell of a lot away. 

If he is as good as we are told about not giving stuff away Darnold.

If he slips on occasion Baker. 

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

that is like asking what is a rock thinking about. 

He doens't give a hell of a lot away. 

If he is as good as we are told about not giving stuff away Darnold.

If he slips on occasion Baker. 

Like asking what is a rock thinking about...lol... good stuff....

Archived