Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

23 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The Wizards are over the cap, meaning they can only trade for players close in salary to the ones they send out.  NBA trade rules allow for a 25% variance in trades, so the most cap savings the Wizards could gain would only be a 25% reduction in salary.  

So, if Gortat's contract was $13.5M, they could trade him for anyone up to $3.375M less (or $10.125M 2018 contract), but not any lower?

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, if Gortat's contract was $13.5M, they could trade him for anyone up to $3.375M less (or $10.125M 2018 contract), but not any lower?

It'll depend on when he's traded.  If he's traded on draft night, the new league year hasn't started, so it'll be based on his $12.8ish salary, not his 2018.  But otherwise yes, they can only reduce his cap hit by 25% via trade.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I wish they had perhaps examined how many of the misses were due to injuries a la Odom.

It's one thing to fail to project a talented player. It's another to be able to look at him and say "oh yeah, his knees will disintegrate within two years."

• Like 1

@Woz @turtle28 I had a total brain fart today, been working too many hours.  

The NBA salary rule for trades applies to the Wizards in that they cannot take on any more than 25% more salary in any trade.  If the Wizards were to trade with the proposed trade, the Cavs being way over the cap themselves would have to abide by the same rule which is why they cannot be a way for the Wizards to dump salary.  

HOWEVER, I posted incorrectly earlier than the Wizards are restricted by how much salary they can dump.  That isn't true, if they trade to a team that is not over the cap they can dump any number of salary to them. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

The NBA salary rule for trades applies to the Wizards in that they cannot take on any more than 25% more salary in any trade.  If the Wizards were to trade with the proposed trade, the Cavs being way over the cap themselves would have to abide by the same rule which is why they cannot be a way for the Wizards to dump salary.  

In the case of the trade, both sides basically balanced out (within maybe 5%).

But thanks for the mini lesson in NBA cap. Like I said, it hurts my brain.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

In the case of the trade, both sides basically balanced out (within maybe 5%).

But thanks for the mini lesson in NBA cap. Like I said, it hurts my brain.

The thing is though that NBA team value cap space like NFL franchises value draft picks.  For the Wizards to get cap relief they would literally have to pay someone to take their bad contracts.  

The only way Gortat is trad-able is if you find a team that could utilize him for one year but also values the fact that he's on an expiring deal (freeing up cap space next year).  Gortat is a lumbering dinosaur of a Center in the modern NBA, there aren't going to be many teams that find him useful as a player.  Also, the few teams that do have cap space (like 80% of the league is over the cap) are mostly near the top of this draft class, a class that is very strong in bigs.  

• Like 1