Excited/Disappointed/Players you wanted most

beardown3231

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Me too   LOL. Though Beasley has not been as good as I thought he was going to be.  Still has been good.  After his rookie year people were saying bust.

Umm no Lattimore wasnt close to the best qb in the league last year.  There is this guy in Jax named Jalen Ramsey you might want to look into

I’m still not over us trading down in 2003 passing on Suggs for Haynes and Grossman. It’s been 15 years. Of all our draft missteps this is the one that will stick most with me. 

I remember doing legit fist pumps when we drafted Alshon. He’d been my guy that whole offseason. We argued for like 3 months over how much fat you could see through his jersey in various game photos. 

I remember pages worth of comparing Marvin McNutt to Michael Floyd too. ?‍♂️

16 hours ago, RTD said:

I remember it the same way Mikee. Da Freak from UF was the guy I wanted at 7. And we passed him by twice for the most "NFL ready  QB with moxie". Biggest bust pick since trading a #1 for Rick Mirer after he bombed in Seattle. 

HA. Back on an old Bears email list I remember when we threw away a first for Mirer and since I'd seen him play a bit when asked about him my only comment was "deer in the headlights".

I might as well state the obvious and say Urlacher. I  campaigned hard for him, just in case the GM were reading our list, and watched the tea leaves per every other team drafting ahead of us. Finally, the week before the draft I became convinced when I was driving down a street and some pottery barn had a big sign up about them having a guest pottery person doing a clinic or whatever pottery people have and the guest person's last name was Urlacher. Hell, Rome launched invasions against other empires on less powerful omens than that one.

Someone mentioned not liking Cedric Benson, I LOVED him!! Dude was a beast at UT and this was kind of before everyone devalued RB's. Really like the pick.

Really liked Carimi as a safe pick. Didnt think he would be great or anything but did think he would be a solid RT for the next 10 years.

That year Aaron Donald went like right before our pick I didnt think it was a big deal. I liked him but didnt think he would be the best defensive player in the NFL haha.

7 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Someone mentioned not liking Cedric Benson, I LOVED him!! Dude was a beast at UT and this was kind of before everyone devalued RB's. Really like the pick.

Really liked Carimi as a safe pick. Didnt think he would be great or anything but did think he would be a solid RT for the next 10 years.

That year Aaron Donald went like right before our pick I didnt think it was a big deal. I liked him but didnt think he would be the best defensive player in the NFL haha.

With you on all of these. Pretty sure my words after drafting Carimi were something like, “He's a high floor player - worst case he’s a good guard for a long time.” 

The more recent draft picks I've been excited about were Trubisky, Floyd, Fuller, Goldman, Jeffery and Carimi.

Picks I wasn't sure about were White, and Long.

Pick I absolutely hated at the time were Shea McClellin, Danieal Manning, Dan Bazuin and Cedric Benson.

Guys I wish we had drafted in hindsight...well that's easy to say now.  I  just remember loving Aaron Donald and being crushed like most of you when he went 1 pick before us.  I also liked Amari Cooper more than Kevin White.

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The more recent draft picks I've been excited about were Trubisky, Floyd, Fuller, Goldman, Jeffery and Carimi.

Pick I absolutely hated at the time were Shea McClellin, Danieal Manning, Dan Bazuin and Cedric Benson.

Guys I wish we had drafted in hindsight...well that's easy to say now.  I  just remember loving Aaron Donald and being crushed like most of you when he went 1 pick before us.  I also liked Amari Cooper more than Kevin White.

I get less upset about the picks we made after missing out on guys we had no shot at absent a trade, so that’s Leonard Williams and Donald and Cooper. The ones that really crush me are the ones where we took a bum ahead of players consensus rated higher at the same position. That’s Shea over Jones and Mercilus in a nutshell. 

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Who knew that jumping out of a pool wasn't a great indicator of how good of an NFL player a guy would be.

47 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That was Jarron Gilbert. He didn’t even make the list. ?‍♂️

He was a 3rd round pick tho no? Good time to take guys with boom or bust potential potential like Gilbert had. Wasn't too upset with that pick.

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He was a 3rd round pick tho no? Good time to take guys with boom or bust potential potential like Gilbert had. Wasn't too upset with that pick.

Ran a 4.76 at almost 290 lbs. 28 reps and a 1.67 10-yard split.

To put that into perspective, Tommie Harris ran a 4.68 40, did 29 reps, and 1.63 10-yard split. Granted I have no clue if he was worth a damn at football in college, but those are pretty crazy measurables.  We had Harris, Melton, Izzy, and Gilbert all at once. That would have been a hell of a NASCAR (that was what Marinelli called his nickel DL package, right?) line if they could have kept Harris healthy and Gilbert developed. Solid vs the run and pass.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Ran a 4.76 at almost 290 lbs. 28 reps and a 1.67 10-yard split.

To put that into perspective, Tommie Harris ran a 4.68 40, did 29 reps, and 1.63 10-yard split. Granted I have no clue if he was worth a damn at football in college, but those are pretty crazy measurables.  We had Harris, Melton, Izzy, and Gilbert all at once. That would have been a hell of a NASCAR (that was what Marinelli called his nickel DL package, right?) line if they could have kept Harris healthy and Gilbert developed. Solid vs the run and pass.

Gilbert looked more like a 3-4 end on tape than a 3 tech ut.  But Henry Melton was a de converted from rb.  I just thought at the time it was backwards.

Archived