4/14 Mock

warfelg

Wasn't creative with the title.  Oh well.

1.28 Rashaan Evans LB Alabama - We need to stop overthinking this.  If Evans is there at pick 28 you take him.  A great talent at a position of need.  The problems with coverage are way overblown, as I dug into stuff the same concerns were there for CJ Mosely which ended up being one of the best parts of his game. Also considered: Ronnie Harrison (S), Harold Landry (DE/OLB)

2.28 Lorenzo Carter DE/OLB Georgia - Those who thing that he's going in the first are massively overrating him.  He's a long lean pass rusher.  He needs to add bulk and learn to play with better leverage in the run game.  He should be there in the second for us, and rotate in with Dupree in year 1. Also considered: Arden Key (DE/OLB), BJ Hill (DT/NT)

3.28 TRADE - Green Bay sends round 4 pick 1, round 4 pick 33, round 5 pick 1.  I do this because we've been bringing in lots of late round pick type players, so I think we're trading down somewhere in the draft.  This is a logical place to move down.

4.1 Tim Settle DT VT - NT is a 'need' for us, and overall in the NFL NT's have been playing less.  So I can see Settle really dropping in the draft and giving us good value.  He has good wiggle, and can plug running lanes, the question is how much upside is there, and that's why he makes it all the way here. Also considered: Jordan Whitehead (S), Michael Gallup (WR)

4.33 Chukwuma Okorafor OT Western Michigan - Swing tackle that will battle with Hawkins, who has had troubles staying healthy.  This also looks a bit to the future as a potential replacement for Gilbert when his contract is up. Also considered: JC Jackson (CB), Tyler Conklin (TE)

5.1 Chad Thomas DE Miami - Can play in 4 down lineman fronts and 3 down lineman fronts.  I think he could serve as a good depth player for Tuitt and Hayward, and can actually bump outside in 4 -2 fronts, unlike the other two.

5.11 Martez Carter RB Grambling - If you haven't seen this kid, find him.  He's a little jitterbug on the field.  He's a very apt pass catcher, kick returner, and punt returner.  Very quick, while still having some long speed.  can be a great change of pace back if given the chance. Also considered: Troy Fumagalli (TE), Justin Jackson (RB)

5.28 Donte Pettis WR Washington - He's likely going to be a strictly slot WR in the NFL as getting off press coverage is going to be a struggle.  But he's a great route runner who can make plays at all three levels of the field.  JuJu showed he can get deep last year so I'm not that worried if Bryant walks that it would be that hard to keep up the big plays. Also considered: Micah Kiser (LB), Armani Watts (S)

7.1 Davin Bellamy OLB Gerogia - Bringing in the other OLB from Georgia as end of roster competition to Chickilo and Adams.

7.28 Johnny Townsend P Florida - PUNTERS ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!!

13 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I like the first 2 picks.  I don't know why GB would give up 4-33 and 5-1 to move up 5 spots though.  That's way overpaying.  

That's what I was thinking too, then I remembered the COMP picks.  

Yeah, it's a conceivable trade.

Love the first two picks.  The rest of it I'm not familiar with, but don't know if I'd be down with a NT as our 3rd pick.  Too many other needs.  But if those 1st two picks were as good as I think they can be, we'd be sitting on another Shazier-Tuitt draft where everything after that is just gravy.  

EDIT:  Punter!!!???  How dare you sir!   (You probably have a Holba jersey in the back of your closet)  ^_^

Good point, but even so, if you look at the trade chart, #92 is worth 132 points.  101 is worth 96.  133 is worth 39.5.  138 is worth 37.  So you'd be giving up 132, and getting back 173.  Even just 4-1 and 5-1 is overpaying by 6 points.  I know the trade chart is a guide, but it backs up exactly what I had in mind when I saw the trade initially.  To have an "even" trade, 4-1 and 5-1 would be the most you could hope for.  But then again, I was trading someone in my mock in a similar fashion, so carry on!  Nothing to see here lol.  

2 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Yeah, it's a conceivable trade.

Love the first two picks.  The rest of it I'm not familiar with, but don't know if I'd be down with a NT as our 3rd pick.  Too many other needs.  But if those 1st two picks were as good as I think they can be, we'd be sitting on another Shazier-Tuitt draft where everything after that is just gravy.  

That is how I see it too (the 2 rounds making the draft, still don't agree with the trade being conceivable at all).  If we got stud LBs in 1-2, the rest of the draft can be whatever and still be decent.  IF the 2 LBs are studs that is, like the Shazier-Tuitt combo.  No safety is going to hurt.  No WR until you get to the guy that got benched in college in 5.  Pettis is a guy that surprised me.  Earlier in his career I thought he was pretty solid.  I watched a game this year though where he didn't exist.  Came off the bench and did nothing.  He's slow, but yet he's a good return man.  Great routes.  Makes me wonder what his deal is since he obviously declined big time this year.  

I like it.

I think Evans will be at least above average for a long time. Carter can be a nice chess piece for the defense. He can rush, cover, and set the edge. Plus, I think he could be the rover type of player. That doesn’t have to be an ILB or Safety like we’ve used in the past. I like Settle there too. He, and a punishing ILB like Evans, will go a long way to fixing the middle of our defense. Settle would also allow us to run some jumbo 4 man fronts that would collapse o-lines.

14 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Good point, but even so, if you look at the trade chart, #92 is worth 132 points.  101 is worth 96.  133 is worth 39.5.  138 is worth 37.  So you'd be giving up 132, and getting back 173.  Even just 4-1 and 5-1 is overpaying by 6 points.  I know the trade chart is a guide, but it backs up exactly what I had in mind when I saw the trade initially.  To have an "even" trade, 4-1 and 5-1 would be the most you could hope for.  But then again, I was trading someone in my mock in a similar fashion, so carry on!  Nothing to see here lol.  

Good analysis.  It's not an even trade, but the only reason I think a team would do it is because a lot of talent gets taken around the end of the 3rd/ beginning of the 4th.  If you wait another 15 picks there, you're entering into garbage time/ lottery guys.

46 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Good analysis.  It's not an even trade, but the only reason I think a team would do it is because a lot of talent gets taken around the end of the 3rd/ beginning of the 4th.  If you wait another 15 picks there, you're entering into garbage time/ lottery guys.

The thing about the trade chart is it doesn't take year to year talent levels into account.  That's right about where there's a bit of a drop off in talent in this draft, so it takes a bit more than just the chart to move there.

And a side note, this is what I 100% believe is wring with the chart and people who quote it a bunch.  They don't take into account these yearly changes to it.  The talent at the top of the draft, the talent in the mid rounds, next years class, the depth of the draft....all of that alters it.  If there's no singular talent, then the #1 pick is lessened.  If the round 2 talent lasts 45-55 picks, then picks in the early 3rd are worth more than the chart typically says.  Of course there's also the value of who's on the board, the teams need vs the team who's trading's needs, etc.

Archived