Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

12 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I was listening to The Devils State of Mind podcast and thru had a round table about the off-season, 

They were talking about Slaf and Cooley. Saying Cooley is safe and Slaf has a very low floor.

How much do you think that’s factoring into Fitzgerald’s decision? What’s Cooley’s ceiling compared to Slaf’s? And would Cooley have less value on our team being the 3rd C?

Don't understand the low floor bit. Makes no sense. Slaf would still be a physical bottom six puck possession guy. His physical tools are nearly a lock to keep him in the NHL. Look at Joel armia. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't understand the low floor bit. Makes no sense. Slaf would still be a physical bottom six puck possession guy. His physical tools are nearly a lock to keep him in the NHL. Look at Joel armia. 

Tbh I don’t see it either. I think he’s so much more than just a big body. His stick and puck handling being a very high level.

17 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Tbh I don’t see it either. I think he’s so much more than just a big body. His stick and puck handling being a very high level.

I'm guessing that they are really referring to what his likelihood is of developing into a major point producer. 

Big guys like slaf have a spotty history recently

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm guessing that they are really referring to what his likelihood is of developing into a major point producer. 

Big guys like slaf have a spotty history recently

Is there anyone that comes to mind that had the skills as Slaf? 

We weren’t expected to pick 2nd. Let’s go for the upside .

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I just watched some highlights of him. I love his shot, vision and toughness. I think he’d age well too.

Nah, he's a guy I don't think ages well at all. Physical guy, throws his body around. He's going to wear down. Extension starts at age 30. He'd worry the hell out of me at 7 years, 9 million

12 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Is there anyone that comes to mind that had the skills as Slaf? 

We weren’t expected to pick 2nd. Let’s go for the upside .

The skills, sure. His skills on their own aren't anything you wouldn't find at the top of the draft. His size is what makes him very interesting. You don't see guys of that size with that skill level all that often. 

Even recent "big guys" that went early were still smaller than slaf. Kakko was 6'3, but less than 200 pounds I think. Pld was only like 6'2.5 I think. The closest would probably be pool party I guess. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Interesting nugget if you believe it

Makes me believe the JT Miller stuff is overblown too. Seems like everyone sees that we need wingers and we have cap space so we're always interested. Nothing about JT Miller fits with what Fitzgerald said he wants to do. Yes, he wants to get bigger and tougher to play against but he also wants someone that fits the timeline. So we'd be more inclined to go after Pool Party, Valeri or Burakovsky to address that moreso than a guy who's extension is going to start at 30.