Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

45 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I fully expect, if he's on the board, Topias Leinonen to be our pick at 37.

I expect us to take a goalie, but I expected in round 4 or so. Leinonen should be high on our list though because we need to go the European route and he's arguably the best in the draft.

I kind of expected us to go muszelik in like round 4 or 5 though

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I expect us to take a goalie, but I expected in round 4 or so. Leinonen should be high on our list though because we need to go the European route and he's arguably the best in the draft.

I kind of expected us to go muszelik in like round 4 or 5 though

I'm just preparing myself for it. If we can find a trade down partner, and we feel like he's a 1A upside guy that won't make it to 70, we'll just pull the trigger on him like we did with Stillman last year.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Makes me believe the JT Miller stuff is overblown too. Seems like everyone sees that we need wingers and we have cap space so we're always interested. Nothing about JT Miller fits with what Fitzgerald said he wants to do. Yes, he wants to get bigger and tougher to play against but he also wants someone that fits the timeline. So we'd be more inclined to go after Pool Party, Valeri or Burakovsky to address that moreso than a guy who's extension is going to start at 30.

I can buy that we really like Miller. Can't make that move before seeing what Johnny is doing though. Would be criminal. I'd also rather approach San Jose and pay over market on Timo than pay standard market on Miller.

Nichushkin is probably not coming here without a significant overpay given his tumultuous relationship with Lindy. We need to be heavy in on pool party though

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Nah, he's a guy I don't think ages well at all. Physical guy, throws his body around. He's going to wear down. Extension starts at age 30. He'd worry the hell out of me at 7 years, 9 million

Wouldn’t a bigger guy whose game isn’t predicated on speed age better than a smaller guy ?

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Wouldn’t a bigger guy whose game isn’t predicated on speed age better than a smaller guy ?

The smaller guy likes has more room to burn in terms of skating, but their body also likely takes less of a beating over the course of a year to wear down than a guy who is out there throwing their body around. If Miller loses a step, he's in trouble. You kind of see it time and time again. David Clarkson. Milan Lucic. James Neal. If Johnny loses a step, he's still in a better spot than 90% of the league. Miller also just isn't the self driving, offensive dynamo that Gaudreau is. I would definitely bank of JG being a better player in 3-4 years than Miller. Perhaps by a large degree.  There are some bigger guys who can hang as they get older, but not something I would count on. 

The league is trending more and more into a transition and rush league so footspeed and skating will become more and more important. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

The league is trending more and more into a transition and rush league so footspeed and skating will become more and more important. 

But how long until that trend reverses? We've seen teams go on runs in the playoffs with slower, tougher styles (cough NYI cough). Not saying we should build that way necessarily but it'd be nice to have a blend and be able to play more than one way. Easier said than done, obviously.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

But how long until that trend reverses? We've seen teams go on runs in the playoffs with slower, tougher styles (cough NYI cough). Not saying we should build that way necessarily but it'd be nice to have a blend and be able to play more than one way. Easier said than done, obviously.

I don't think it reverses. I think it's just about finding big guys who can move to go along with smaller guys. I don't think we will ever go back to the skating we would see in the mid 90s, for example. The league has been much more open to accepting smaller guys at forward over the years (I think size still very much matters to the league for defense with Quinn being an outlier), though they still fall further than they should in the draft. But big guys who can move is why Josh Anderson always has value and why fans always want Miles Wood lol. Anderson's contract is an anchor, but I think if he gets moved he gets positive value. 

The Islanders employed Trotz's system which was pretty much ideal, but it also neutered the hell out of them. But he may also have the best system structure in the NHL. I mean, it's a damn machine. 

There will always be coaches who employ that tighter style (Torts, Trotz, Julien) , but I don't think it's the norm. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it reverses. I think it's just about finding big guys who can move to go along with smaller guys. I don't think we will ever go back to the skating we would see in the mid 90s, for example. The league has been much more open to accepting smaller guys at forward over the years (I think size still very much matters to the league for defense with Quinn being an outlier), though they still fall further than they should in the draft. But big guys who can move is why Josh Anderson always has value and why fans always want Miles Wood lol. Anderson's contract is an anchor, but I think if he gets moved he gets positive value. 

The Islanders employed Trotz's system which was pretty much ideal, but it also neutered the hell out of them. But he may also have the best system structure in the NHL. I mean, it's a damn machine. 

There will always be coaches who employ that tighter style (Torts, Trotz, Julien) , but I don't think it's the norm. 

Hey, if you win, you win. I want to win. 10 years since that SCF team with one playoff berth since. Too damn long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hey, if you win, you win. I want to win. 10 years since that SCF team with one playoff berth since. Too damn long.

Definitely nothing wrong with it if that is what you employ. 

@Rainmaker90

With regards to Miller specifically, I don't think that he will age well. I don't think his style / body type ages well into their 30 and he's going to get a long term deal (at least 5 years, likely 7) and he's probably going to make 9 million per. I think that contract is an anchor by year 3 of it. 

If you look across the landscape in the NHL, you don't see many super productive players of his body type and style in their mid 30's. Blake Wheeler, Kopitar and Ovechkin are three that come to mind, but it's a pretty limited pool. Its immediately disingenuous to compare Ovie to Miller, so we can throw that out. Wheeler and Kopitar are interesting. They are similar size and are both in their mid 30s, though Kopitar's game has always been about positioning and effort and IQ, never been about throwing his body around. Wheeler did have a game at times that more closely resembled Miller's I guess...but he's just about the only one I can think of that would fall into that category. Look around at the guys in the league who are 32+ in the league and producing at high levels and they are typically much smaller. 

Then there's the wear and tear of just the insane amount he has played per game the last couple of years. He's been playing 21 minutes a night while guys like Gaudreau are playing 18-19. There's a lot for me to be wary over 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

@Rainmaker90

With regards to Miller specifically, I don't think that he will age well. I don't think his style / body type ages well into their 30 and he's going to get a long term deal (at least 5 years, likely 7) and he's probably going to make 9 million per. I think that contract is an anchor by year 3 of it. 

If you look across the landscape in the NHL, you don't see many super productive players of his body type and style in their mid 30's. Blake Wheeler, Kopitar and Ovechkin are three that come to mind, but it's a pretty limited pool. Its immediately disingenuous to compare Ovie to Miller, so we can throw that out. Wheeler and Kopitar are interesting. They are similar size and are both in their mid 30s, though Kopitar's game has always been about positioning and effort and IQ, never been about throwing his body around. Wheeler did have a game at times that more closely resembled Miller's I guess...but he's just about the only one I can think of that would fall into that category. Look around at the guys in the league who are 32+ in the league and producing at high levels and they are typically much smaller. 

Then there's the wear and tear of just the insane amount he has played per game the last couple of years. He's been playing 21 minutes a night while guys like Gaudreau are playing 18-19. There's a lot for me to be wary over 

That makes sense. It seems like an enormous risk. And it doesn’t seem to be the smartest decisions to take on a 29 year old this year. 

If we are going to make a huge move (outside goalie) I hope it DeBrincat . Not the 2nd overall though.