Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't believe he was. Brunette was an interim coach if I remember correctly. I could be wrong on that. 

I will be very fascinated in what Fitzy does if he really signs Johnny. That's a very small top of the lineup

Do you think his game would translate well as he ages?

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd trust Bobby mac's list first and foremost and there is a huge gap with wright and slaf to everyone else. I just thought it was interesting. Maybe we really are trying to move that pick

I just don't want to galaxy brain this one. We're either getting a cerebral centreman who is going to coast to 80 points a season or a 6'4" 220 lbs kid with a toolbox to dream on. I'm not passing on either for anything more than a haul and a half.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

@Forge If we sign Gaudreau, are you comfortable giving Bratt a bridge deal?

I think the max he was ever going to get was 5 years, and I figured he was more likely to get something like 3 or 4. I think there is a lot of appeal for guys like bratt and boeser to take short deals and hit the market again in 3-4 years when the cap finally rights itself and they can cash in one more vet contract. So we may not have a choice. Given he's arb eligible, there's really not a lot we can do. He could conceivably just do one year deals the next two and hit the market. 

Tl;Dr: I'm happy with whatever we make happen

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Do you think his game would translate well as he ages?

Yes. If you give him 7, I think he's a high quality player for 4-5 of those years, which is pretty good for a 29 year old free agent. Generally I don't expect that

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the max he was ever going to get was 5 years, and I figured he was more likely to get something like 3 or 4. I think there is a lot of appeal for guys like bratt and boeser to take short deals and hit the market again in 3-4 years when the cap finally rights itself and they can cash in one more vet contract. So we may not have a choice. Given he's arb eligible, there's really not a lot we can do. He could conceivably just do one year deals the next two and hit the market. 

Tl;Dr: I'm happy with whatever we make happen

I think I offer him 4x8 and see what happens. He gets a high AAV and we buy 2 years of his UFA.

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes. If you give him 7, I think he's a high quality player for 4-5 of those years, which is pretty good for a 29 year old free agent. Generally I don't expect that

I would be real happy with that then. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think I offer him 4x8 and see what happens. He gets a high AAV and we buy 2 years of his UFA.

Is that because you’re not completely sold on him to give him 5-7 years?

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I would be real happy with that then. 

Is that because you’re not completely sold on him to give him 5-7 years?

No, it's because he seems to want to get to UFA in his 20s and is likely going to be a stickler about it. So, I compromise. He gets to UFA at 27-28 and we get him for 4 more years.

Now, if we strike out on Gaudreau, I dangle the Hughes deal and make him say no.

Edited by beekay414

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No, it's because he seems to want to get to UFA in his 20s and is likely going to be a stickler about it. So, I compromise. He gets to UFA at 27-28 and we get him for 4 more years.

Now, if we strike out on Gaudreau, I dangle the Hughes deal and make him say no.

That makes sense. 

Honestly, I would love to sign Bratt long term. Get Russo or Campbell , draft Slaf and make our FA move next off season.

I am in the camp of that we’re just a goalie away from competitiveness.  

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I am in the camp of that we’re just a goalie away from competitiveness.  

If it's not Gaudreau, I don't want to spend any money on forwards outside of those random depth signings to fill out the bottom 6. We are nothing if we can't get the goalie situation figured out. I have no problem going into 2022-23 with a top 6 of Hughes, Bratt, Hischier, Sharangovich, Mercer and Holtz/Wright/Slafkovsky. Is it ideal? No but I can live with it since 5 on 5 hockey wasn't our issue last season. We need to get the PP and goalie situation remedied before we start worrying about anything else. Gaudreau just happens to be a rarity on the market.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If it's not Gaudreau, I don't want to spend any money on forwards outside of those random depth signings to fill out the bottom 6. We are nothing if we can't get the goalie situation figured out. I have no problem going into 2022-23 with a top 6 of Hughes, Bratt, Hischier, Sharangovich, Mercer and Holtz/Wright/Slafkovsky. Is it ideal? No but I can live with it since 5 on 5 hockey wasn't our issue last season. We need to get the PP and goalie situation remedied before we start worrying about anything else. Gaudreau just happens to be a rarity on the market.

Idt goal scoring is going to be a problem.

It’s likely Jack and Dougie will be significantly healthier.

I don’t see there being as extreme dry spells scoring .

Its very likely most of the team improves since they’re so young. Including the stud players.