Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Would you make a play for McD if he's willing to waive? I'm torn. I think the cost will be very cheap because of his contract, style of play (which is slowly eroding) and the NMC...but 4 years at nearly 7 is just bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal at age 33. So you're getting ages 33 / 34 / 35 / 36 for a very defensive defenseman. He could definitely be our second pair behind Siegs for the next couple of years (that way you allow Luke to start as a PP / 3rd LHD role if you want in his rookie year before pushing him into a top 4 role the following year and pushing McD down to 3rd pair). 

Ultimately, I think I'm passing on that contract...but I still think it's pretty close. I would expect decent spikes in the cap by the time the last two years roll around (potentially something closer to 90M ? ) 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Would you make a play for McD if he's willing to waive? I'm torn. I think the cost will be very cheap because of his contract, style of play (which is slowly eroding) and the NMC...but 4 years at nearly 7 is just bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal at age 33. So you're getting ages 33 / 34 / 35 / 36 for a very defensive defenseman. He could definitely be our second pair behind Siegs for the next couple of years (that way you allow Luke to start as a PP / 3rd LHD role if you want in his rookie year before pushing him into a top 4 role the following year and pushing McD down to 3rd pair). 

Ultimately, I think I'm passing on that contract...but I still think it's pretty close. I would expect decent spikes in the cap by the time the last two years roll around (potentially something closer to 90M ? ) 

No. We're not in that window yet where we should make plays for these types. We've got a good enough top 4 for now and we've got more guys coming up soon. No need to invest 4 years at that AAV. We do that, it basically guarantees that Severson is gone.

I would've considered taking on half his salary for younger pieces or picks but they don't have anything in that regard. That 22 1st isn't enough for me to do that for 4 years and their best prospects aren't great. Jack Finley is probably my favorite but I don't think he's worth it.

30 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I would've considered taking on half his salary for younger pieces or picks but they don't have anything in that regard. That 22 1st isn't enough for me to do that for 4 years and their best prospects aren't great. Jack Finley is probably my favorite but I don't think he's worth it.

I think he'll get positive market value in a trade, I just don't think it will be a ton. There's probably a very limited number of teams he'll except a trade to. 

I'm glad we don't have any long term, bad contracts on the books, but sometimes it can bite you in a trade. I'd be all over him if we had someone who had like 3x3 left that we could send back. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think he'll get positive market value in a trade, I just don't think it will be a ton. There's probably a very limited number of teams he'll except a trade to. 

I'm glad we don't have any long term, bad contracts on the books, but sometimes it can bite you in a trade. I'd be all over him if we had someone who had like 3x3 left that we could send back. 

Yeah but if we had those contracts, we wouldn't have a $56 Million in cap space for 2023-24 right now lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Things read on HF main board: 

"We haven't even talked about how Slafkovsky weighs too much yet"

No seriously. That was a thing that was said. 

The guy who is 6'4 220 is apparently too thick. 

Shhh 

Don't tell him about Anthony Mantha

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I totally didn't realize that Dawson Mercer had a brother in this draft. Though I'm assuming he won't get drafted. 

Isn't he a goalie? You never really know when goalies will go off the board, no matter their rankings.