Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

19 hours ago, Forge said:

Everyone is talking about Boeser, and one of the Canuck fans brought up that the Devils should target Virtanen instead. 

I'm kind of into this. Former first round pick who has gotten better every year, currently 23 years old, so locked in for at least 4 more years (rfa right now). Right handed right wing, which we need badly (even more so if Goose and Palms bail). Scored 18 goals last year; 27 of his 36 points were even strength. 

I'd be into this kind of move. 

I offered Virtanen + Sven Baertschi for Bastian + Mueller / Carrick + NYI 2021 second round pick. I think that Vancouver would have difficulty finding teams that can clear up cap space for them to get to resign guys like Taffoli and Markstrom if that is really what they are doing. That deal basically clears 4 million at minimum for them in 2021. 

Oh, hell yeah. I'd go after Virtanen and take on a contract if it meant giving up less significant pieces. Hoping Fitzy plays this flat cap market like a fiddle. Could really set us up for the future. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, this is bull****. If they make the playoffs, and he plays for them, we should absolutely get their 3rd. They put those conditions on the pick in place as a protection should he NOT be able to play. Well, he's able to play now, pandemic or not, so you should have to forfeit that pick. If they intentionally healthy scratch him, that should be something we could go to an arbitrator about. In the end, I'm still content with getting Kuokkanen for him so it is what it is, but this idea that we shouldn't get their pick if he plays is just absurd lol. Of course, the NHL will probably fubar this up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Sorry homie, was on a boat getting sunburned all day yesterday lol. Where the hell did this happen?

The main board at hf. They've all been deleted now, but it was so damn weird lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, this is bull****. If they make the playoffs, and he plays for them, we should absolutely get their 3rd. They put those conditions on the pick in place as a protection should he NOT be able to play. Well, he's able to play now, pandemic or not, so you should have to forfeit that pick. If they intentionally healthy scratch him, that should be something we could go to an arbitrator about. In the end, I'm still content with getting Kuokkanen for him so it is what it is, but this idea that we shouldn't get their pick if he plays is just absurd lol. Of course, the NHL will probably fubar this up.

Yeah, I'm happy just getting kuokkanen, but I'd like the pick if he plays the games. If there is dispute about the compensation, I'd assume arb and we end up with like their fourth instead of the third. 

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oh, hell yeah. I'd go after Virtanen and take on a contract if it meant giving up less significant pieces. Hoping Fitzy plays this flat cap market like a fiddle. Could really set us up for the future. 

He's chippy, plays with some grit, and could finish. He's a solid guy to play either third line or if you think he can do more, on Jack's wing to give some power. Best case scenario is he's Palm, who was quicker to develop but at the same place at the same age. But if not, 20/20 guys are solid. And we have very few guys who are twenty high guys

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He's chippy, plays with some grit, and could finish. He's a solid guy to play either third line or if you think he can do more, on Jack's wing to give some power. Best case scenario is he's Palm, who was quicker to develop but at the same place at the same age. But if not, 20/20 guys are solid. And we have very few guys who are twenty high guys

Absolutely. 100% agree that he's an ideal target and should cost significantly less than Boeser would. 

I don't think I can take 3 more months of this though! Typically, we're done with the speculation by now but we're going on 4 months of it already!

• Like 1

My favorite thing is that Hoglander's played 91 games in the SHL through his age 18/19 season while Boqvist played a combined 47. Yes, Boqvist scored 20 points in those 47 games compared to Hoglander's 30 in 91 but why has Hoglander played so much more through the same age?

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I don't even know how the hell all that happened over something as trivial as what I said. How the hell do you get all that out of 2 sentences lol?

He ran away on quotes a bunch of times. Like wtf. He has a bizarre binary approach to things 

• Like 1