Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

My only issue right now is that we don't have a good enough mix of offensive and defensive dmen. We really only have Smith and Walsh in that regard so, if McCarthy were to work out as our 3rd line RHD, we'd be sticking him with players similar to him in Okhotyuk and/or Vukojevic. So, naturally, I'd like to land an offensive minded LHD in this draft as well. Can never have enough blue liners. So, I'd like to nab someone like William Villenueve (offensive RHD) in case Okhotyuk works out. If McCarthy clicks, I'd aim for someone like Mitch Miller. Thinking of only guys that could be available as early as Carolina's 3rd and as late as our last 4th.

Bahl-Smith
Misyul-Walsh
Miller-McCarthy
Okhotyuk/Vukojevic-Villenueve

Obviously, you don't draft with specifics like that in mind but it's something to consider.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

My only issue right now is that we don't have a good enough mix of offensive and defensive dmen

Agree with this 100%. 

The left side in particular is pretty barren of puck moving d who can chip in offensively if we are to assume Smith sticks on the right side. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What's with all the emotional posters on Devils HF? lol

"Oh you don't like my idea, here we go with emotional ranting the next two pages"

It's frustrating. And then if you go against an idea, the immediate reaction appears to be mocking it with a hyperbolic statement in response. It happens all over and on all both sides of the line in sand for whatever argument is occurring. The palms / age of team one is really bad, but this Laine is kind of funny. I'm probably (wells, besides Taylor's lost step) the only one that would reasonably consider a Nico / Laine base trade and even I said I feel like I would need Winnipeg to add (and that the Jets which would balk at doing so, which is totally expected). 

Taylor's Lost step drives some weird and crazy conversation though, I'll give him that. Not the same thing is that out of business character, for Taylor's whims seem to change weekly as he falls in love with whatever random player is input into a rumor on any given week. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, I'm definitely paying $5 for Steve K's draft guide. He's supposed to put it out today but...

I'm thinking about doing it. I typically don't buy that stuff, but its a little different for the NHL because I'm not as deep into the draft as I am in the NFL. I would never do it in the NFL because I study enough that I seriously have scouted guys who are going undrafted in a 250+ player draft lol. In the NHL, once it starts in round 3, I see people I've never seen / watched before, and by rounds 4/5, I think that is probably the majority of the players. 

Will say that I don't particularly love his mock draft for us though. 

That being said, I do like that he had Perfetti sliding to #13. I'm at the point right now where I have kept debating it, but I may push Perfetti outside my top 10. I think I may move Jarvis, Quinn and Sanderson ahead of him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm thinking about doing it. I typically don't buy that stuff, but its a little different for the NHL because I'm not as deep into the draft as I am in the NFL. I would never do it in the NFL because I study enough that I seriously have scouted guys who are going undrafted in a 250+ player draft lol. In the NHL, once it starts in round 3, I see people I've never seen / watched before, and by rounds 4/5, I think that is probably the majority of the players. 

Will say that I don't particularly love his mock draft for us though. 

That being said, I do like that he had Perfetti sliding to #13. I'm at the point right now where I have kept debating it, but I may push Perfetti outside my top 10. I think I may move Jarvis, Quinn and Sanderson ahead of him. 

It's going to have 300 in depth reports so it's probably worth it. I don't put much stock into individual mocks because, well, they are always wrong lol. I'm buying it for the 300 profiles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's frustrating. And then if you go against an idea, the immediate reaction appears to be mocking it with a hyperbolic statement in response. It happens all over and on all both sides of the line in sand for whatever argument is occurring. The palms / age of team one is really bad, but this Laine is kind of funny. I'm probably (wells, besides Taylor's lost step) the only one that would reasonably consider a Nico / Laine base trade and even I said I feel like I would need Winnipeg to add (and that the Jets which would balk at doing so, which is totally expected). 

Taylor's Lost step drives some weird and crazy conversation though, I'll give him that. Not the same thing is that out of business character, for Taylor's whims seem to change weekly as he falls in love with whatever random player is input into a rumor on any given week. 

It's baffling lol. It's like a bunch of 13 year olds arguing. I wouldn't trade Nico for Laine+ because the plus would not be enough to compensate for Laine dipping in 2 years to the highest bidder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's baffling lol. It's like a bunch of 13 year olds arguing. I wouldn't trade Nico for Laine+ because the plus would not be enough to compensate for Laine dipping in 2 years to the highest bidder.

That was a big thing for me as well. He strikes me as the type that just wants to cash out...which I fully support. I am forever a player's fan wanting them to go get theirs, and I'm good with Nico, but I'm not the super fan that some are (I think that there's a good chance that he's Bo Horvat with an ROR top shelf, which is great, but not "special"), so if you can't get me to agree to that deal, I don't know who the hell your target audience is going to be to approve that move LOL

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's going to have 300 in depth reports so it's probably worth it. I don't put much stock into individual mocks because, well, they are always wrong lol. I'm buying it for the 300 profiles.

I wish I could have his job. It's kind of cool listening to his pod and hearing him talk about all teh various tourneys and stuff he goes to and all the games he watches. 

Just now, Forge said:

I wish I could have his job. It's kind of cool listening to his pod and hearing him talk about all teh various tourneys and stuff he goes to and all the games he watches. 

Does he fund himself though? That's always the risk with stuff like that. You CAN do it but you have to have a backing in some way lol.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Does he fund himself though? That's always the risk with stuff like that. You CAN do it but you have to have a backing in some way lol.

I think he does, though I would assume at this point he's done a lot of legwork to make it a livable career. Doesn't he still post on HF? 

This was how I ranked our prospects on the prospect board (thread for top 10 prospects). What was crazy was that one of the guys didn't even have Boqvist in the top 10. I was surprised by that. 

1. Ty Smith
(#7)
2. Foote
3. Boqvist
4. Bahl
5. Misyul - the offense isn't there, but he skates so much better than the likes of Okhotyuk and Vukojevich
6. Kuokkanen - the skating will probably hold him back, and he is never going to be a great goal scorer
7. Tyce Thompson
8. Graeme Clarke - More than anything, this is probably an expectation ranking. With the injury history and loss in development it's speculative as he hasn't been able to show it, but I think that he could be a 2 line RW potting 25 goals in a year. He's one of the few players in the system that I think has legit top 6 potential.
9. Reilly Walsh
10. Nathan Bastian - Really big productivity jump in the AHL last year, which is nice. He's probably a bottom six player, but the thing that makes him a little more intriguing for me long term is that I wonder if he could be a net presence on a PP1.

HM: Yegor Zaitsev (he's like that baseball minor leaguer who is just productive every level he plays and is still productive when getting his MLB shot, even though there's nothing great about him....like the Bill Mueller of hockey) ; Arseni Gritsyuk love the pick / player, just too far away right now for me to have in the top 10; Nick Merkley