Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I understand. Baseball they’re funny about it too. I hope they bring him up for the experience. 

whatcha guys think about this list? Are you significantly higher/lower on anyone? 

So generally, its only the top 5 or so prospects in your pipeline that really "matter". Everything else is largely a lotto ticket or perceived to be a roster filler type. Having depth in your system is great, but what really matters is the impact guys. After that, everyone has preferences or variances. I have never  been a Bahl fan, so he's probably outside of my top 10. A guy I used to not like (Okhotiuk) has actually passed him with regards to left handed defensemen in the system. 

By that token, this is mostly right. Gritsyuk has made a huge step (he used to be one of those lottery ticket types and if you look back at previous rankings from @beekay414 and I, you probably see him at the bottom half of the top 10 or outside of the top 10 altogether. The facdt that they don't have Stillman in the top 10 (he was a first round pick last year) is pretty hilarious (that pick was well derided and hated when made) though. 

I like that they have Salminen at 10. I think that he's going to be an NHLer, I'm just not sure how good. Will definitely have a role as a plug center though. I'm not nearly as high on Foote as this group is. I'd have him below Clarke and I'm not sure that he hasn't fallen below a guy like Zetterlund and Schnarr in terms of future NHL likelihood, though Foote still has the better shot at being the quality upper echelon player than both of them. 

But again, once you get past the top 4 or 5, it can really just be all over the place. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

So generally, its only the top 5 or so prospects in your pipeline that really "matter". Everything else is largely a lotto ticket or perceived to be a roster filler type. Having depth in your system is great, but what really matters is the impact guys. After that, everyone has preferences or variances. I have never  been a Bahl fan, so he's probably outside of my top 10. A guy I used to not like (Okhotiuk) has actually passed him with regards to left handed defensemen in the system. 

By that token, this is mostly right. Gritsyuk has made a huge step (he used to be one of those lottery ticket types and if you look back at previous rankings from @beekay414 and I, you probably see him at the bottom half of the top 10 or outside of the top 10 altogether. The facdt that they don't have Stillman in the top 10 (he was a first round pick last year) is pretty hilarious (that pick was well derided and hated when made) though. 

I like that they have Salminen at 10. I think that he's going to be an NHLer, I'm just not sure how good. Will definitely have a role as a plug center though. I'm not nearly as high on Foote as this group is. I'd have him below Clarke and I'm not sure that he hasn't fallen below a guy like Zetterlund and Schnarr in terms of future NHL likelihood, though Foote still has the better shot at being the quality upper echelon player than both of them. 

But again, once you get past the top 4 or 5, it can really just be all over the place. 

I’m sorry for all the questions

They said Bahl was the centerpiece for Taylor Hall. Did they sell low on Hall? 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m sorry for all the questions

They said Bahl was the centerpiece for Taylor Hall. Did they sell low on Hall? 

Nah, we had no other time to sell on Hall. The centerpiece for the Hall deal was always the first round pick (and potentially a second first round pick, which did not come to fruition). Bahl was the best prospect we could get (and I actually liked him more than I liked one of the two untouchable prospects we weren't allowed to get) from Arizona because their prospect pool just kind of sucked. 

Ultimately, we ended up getting a little bit screwed by Covid because Arizona was likely not going to be a playoff team that year, which meant we were going to end up with a pick in the 9/10 range, I think. Then they had covid, had the play in rounds and Arizona happened to win and that just screwed us over (though Mercer has been an excellent prize nonetheless) 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Sigh...

we are such a silly, broken franchise

The NHL made those, I thought? Not hard to convince anyways since Bettman thinks we're a 3rd rate franchise who's cap circumvention is more severe than covering up sodomizing someone with a mini hockey stick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If he continues to play on the right...I'd put him with Siegenthaler and I swear that can be a Dougie / Slavin combination

It's a good idea. Just need to extend Gravy and we've got a legit top 4. Then the bottom pair is Smith/Shak-McCarthy or Okhotyuk/Bahl-Walsh. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's a good idea. Just need to extend Gravy and we've got a legit top 4. Then the bottom pair is Smith/Shak-McCarthy or Okhotyuk/Bahl-Walsh. 

I am really, really curious to see if someone sends us an offer on Graves this year. Would not be at all shocked if we could get a high turnaround on that value from what we paid for him. Not sure I would take it, but also wouldn't be afraid of taking it given the influx of LHD we have coming. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I am really, really curious to see if someone sends us an offer on Graves this year. Would not be at all shocked if we could get a high turnaround on that value from what we paid for him. Not sure I would take it, but also wouldn't be afraid of taking it given the influx of LHD we have coming. 

Yeah I'd be inclined to listen as well. He's come down since his hot start but he's a borderline perfect line mate for Dougie. One of the few guys that you're okay with booming slappers next to. May have hindered Makar a bit but Dougie plays a different style. 

But, we've been looking for top pairing Dmen for a long time so it'd be difficult to send him out.